• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dust Voids PLAYSTATION 3 Warranty?

My entertainment system tends to get dusty and i'm sure thats the problem, but thats an extreme amount of dust. Its caked onto the console like the user hasn't dusted it in months. If you have expensive equipment you need to take care of it if you want to keep it. I clean the components and the stand for my entertainment center once a week (even if its just a light dusting). Its the users fault and SONY is well within reason for not repairing it.

Live like a slob and get treated like one.

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
agreed its not hard to clean something like that - a simple dusting rag every couple of days would help and that takes what, a minute...

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I religiously clean off mine like every few days. My house is dustier than normal ( I blame the Central unit even with vent filters it still is dusty as hell) so I make sure to cleanmypc and ps3 every week if not every few days. Falcon and all them compressed air cannister makers make a killing off ofme.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
i dont have a PS3 so i do not know what the warrenty includes - if the words "dust", "clean", and "maintain" are not included then sony should replace it if those words do exist then the person in question is being an idiot.

All warranties cover neglect an improper maintance. Even if it isn't directly state, it is implied that proper maintance is required.

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
From the looks of it he kept the console in a patch of dirt, and kicked up dust every now and then. I've cleaned computers at businesses that didn't look this bad.

ARTT said:
i dont have a PS3 so i do not know what the warrenty includes - if the words "dust", "clean", and "maintain" are not included then sony should replace it if those words do exist then the person in question is being an idiot.

So you are saying if you left your console in a dirty nasty enviroment it is still eligible for warrenty? What if there was say excessive amounts of cigarette smoke? What if it was in a room full of vaporized acid?

Improper matienence is not covered under any warrenty, same goes for neglect. Go buy a new truck, take it off roading for 50miles, then try to get something repaired under warrenty with the mud still caked on. Tell me how that goes for ya.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Sony strikes again. Maybe they'll figure out what they did wrong when they go bankrupt. That dust really isn't that bad, remember that the PS3 has a super-glossy black finish. If "two years" of dust buildup can cause a malfunction, then obviously they didnt engineer it well enough to deal with dust buildup.

I think in this age of consoles being compact computers, they should include a slot for a dust filter that you can remove occasionally and clean out.

Edit: Also note the pictures were taken with a flash. This will make anything glossy look like it got the crap beaten out of it.

Speaking of dust filters. my laptop had dust filters fitted on the vents...& my laptop being a 'sub-laptop' didnt take too kindly too it as there werent that many vents on it in the first place. after suffering from a few overheating issues I eventually opened my laptop up & removed the dust covers. & it really improved the cooling of my laptop as well as making it a bit more silent as the fan didnt have to spin up som much to cool everything - but in light of that I have to open the laptop every few months to give inside a spring clean but id rather take 10mins out every few months then live with the fan running like theres a hamster on acid on it.

but I agree. most small appliances should include dust cover damage due to dust collecting in vital vent points & killing the appliance. if they include a dust filter that you can pull out & clean yourself every so often then that would also make the consumer more happier knowing that the manufacturer has thought about consumers rather then leaving us in the sh*t & forking out for repairs for something that isnt coverd in warranty.

ktr

This is nothing new...

Most electronic warranty voids there warranty if it has to do with a clean issue. Warranty's dont cover misuse, abuse, neglect, physical damage...etc.

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
From the looks of it he kept the console in a patch of dirt, and kicked up dust every now and then. I've cleaned computers at businesses that didn't look this bad.

So you are saying if you left your console in a dirty nasty enviroment it is still eligible for warrenty? What if there was say excessive amounts of cigarette smoke? What if it was in a room full of vaporized acid?

Improper matienence is not covered under any warrenty, same goes for neglect. Go buy a new truck, take it off roading for 50miles, then try to get something repaired under warrenty with the mud still caked on. Tell me how that goes for ya.

no i was only stating that the warrenty should be clear in what it includes/excludes.

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
No warrenty covers misuse, neglect, or lack of care unless it is explicitly expressed that it does in the terms, but those are few and far between.

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
then like i said in my post, the guy is an idiot

ktr

There is usually a section that talks strictly about what is NOT covered under the warranty. More or less what is preventable is not covered.

ktr

Well here is the actual PS3 warranty

THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY IF THIS PRODUCT

(A) IS USED WITH PRODUCTS THAT ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THIS PRODUCT;

(B) IS USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (INCLUDING RENTAL);

(C) IS MODIFIED, OR TAMPERED WITH;

(D) IS DAMAGED BY ACTS OF GOD, MISUSE, ABUSE, NEGLIGENCE, ACCIDENT, WEAR AND TEAR, UNREASONABLE USE, OR BY OTHER CAUSES UNRELATED TO DEFECTIVE MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP;

(E) HAS HAD THE SERIAL NUMBER ALTERED, DEFACED OR REMOVED; OR

(F) HAS HAD THE WARRANTY SEAL ON THE PS3TM SYSTEM ALTERED, DEFACED, OR REMOVED. THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER CONSUMABLES (SUCH AS BATTERIES) OR PRODUCTS SOLD "AS IS" OR WITH ALL FAULTS. THIS WARRANTY SHALL ALSO BE VOIDABLE BY SCEA IF

(1) SCEA REASONABLY BELIEVES THAT THE PS3TM SYSTEM HAS BEEN USED IN A MANNER THAT WOULD VIOLATE THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF A SEPARATE END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR SYSTEM SOFTWARE; OR

(2) THE PRODUCT IS USED WITH PRODUCTS NOT SOLD OR LICENSED BY SCEA (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NON-LICENSED GAME ENHANCEMENT DEVICES, CONTROLLERS, ADAPTORS AND POWER SUPPLY DEVICES). YOU ASSUME ALL RISKS AND LIABILITIES ASSOCIATED WITH USE OF THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS. A VALID PROOF OF PURCHASE IN THE FORM OF A BILL OF SALE OR RECEIPT FROM AN AUTHORIZED RETAILER WITH THE DATE OF THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE MUST BE PRESENTED TO OBTAIN WARRANTY SERVICE.

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
acts of god

lol can they not change that to extreme unforseen weather circumstances - since many people
no longer believe in a god.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Whay kind of an ass would send something back in this condition?

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
lol the whole 'acts of god' thing just makes me laugh. they should have had that ammended a long time ago

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular

I'm sorry, and no offense, but people like you are the reason McDonald's coffee cups say "WARNING: CONTENTS ARE HOT". You don't need a manual to tell you to keep your 500 dollar piece of equipment clean. If you don't have enough common sense to do this by yourself, you shouldn't own something like this. I would take the PS3 away from my kid (if I had one) and sell it on eBay if I ever found out he/she let it get that dirty. :wtf:

Last edited:
not for nothing but lots of that looks like dirt. Not just dust. If you see the dust even got underneath the coverplate....Thats ridiculous. Its not grayish brown...its just brown. Thats dirt. Thats neglect and he's an ass.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Processor Q6600 G0 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus p5k-Premium/Black Pearl
Cooling Luna Block, 240mm rad
Memory Patriot Extreme PC2-6400 2x2GB
Video Card(s) Saphire 5850 1GB
Storage 60GB SSD + 2x500GB/1TB/2TB
Display(s) Samsung 226BW and 50" Panasonic S2
Case Silverstone TJ-09
Audio Device(s) X-fi Prelude
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy Dxx 850watt
Software Windows7 32Bit
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1M 14.333
If you ask me that ps3 was in a room they were renovation maybe a "bad" contractor who had some time to kill while doing renovations to a house/building elc. I cant understand how it could get THAT dusty from being in a household.

Its obviously been misused as DanDaMan said.

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
I'm sorry, and no offense, but people like you are the reason McDonald's coffee cups say "WARNING: CONTENTS ARE HOT". You don't need a manual to tell you to keep your 500 dollar piece of equipment clean. If you don't have enough common sense to do this by yourself, you shouldn't own something like this. I would take the PS3 away from my kid (if I had one) and sell it on eBay if I ever found out he/she let it get that dirty. :wtf:

no offense taken mate.

these days though everything has to be clear cut or else its guarenteed someone will sue for a company not telling them the obvious. to you and me cleaning an expensive piece of kit is a no brainer - but if sony didnt have the obvious in the warrenty they wouldnt have a leg to stand on over this case.

todays society seems to have witnessed a decline in common sense. here in UK we have adverts about companies being sued because someone slipped on a messy kitchen floor because it wasnt cleaned up. i would have watched where i was going and stepped over the mess then cleaned it up.

in a world run by rules and regulations if someone doesnt follow them then another can sue or get something out of it.

like i said above peoples common sense is declining as they get used to people doing things for them and when they dont they want to know why. at work ive lost count of the amount of times i have told people to do something because any other "normal" person would have just done it anyway. (i.e. the person standing their when they have no customers to serve when their is a pile of work to do, common sense would tell them during their down time they do a bit of work but instead i have to go and physically tell them)

and its people like me that try to look at every point that could effect the case, does the warrenty include cleaning and maintainance? is the damage in the unit due to dust and improper maintainance? could the damage have been avoided? is the owner a complete retard with no common sense? by law do they have legal ground? etc

i understand your point about the hot drink cup and i do believe these days the nanny state has become to overpowering.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
and its people like me that try to look at every point that could effect the case, does the warrenty include cleaning and maintainance? is the damage in the unit due to dust and improper maintainance? could the damage have been avoided? is the owner a complete retard with no common sense? by law do they have legal ground? etc

i understand your point about the hot drink cup and i do believe these days the nanny state has become to overpowering.

Yes but it's the people who burn themselves with coffee and then file a lawsuit simply because there wasn't a warning. All I'm saying is, if you let dust build up like that, don't expect any form of a warranty to be helping you. I'll laugh at the stupidity if this guy files a law suit and wins.

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
Yes but it's the people who burn themselves with coffee and then file a lawsuit simply because there wasn't a warning. All I'm saying is, if you let dust build up like that, don't expect any form of a warranty to be helping you. I'll laugh at the stupidity if this guy files a law suit and wins.

yup i agree - but people expect to be told what to do and then moan like shit when they are then told they cant have something when noone told them even if it was obvious. companies have to protect themselves from the idiots that are born in this world.

i would be extremely p*ssed if this guy sued and won. the guy in question need a good :nutkick:

JC316

Knows what makes you tick
System Name Budget Gaming
Processor AMD FX6300
Motherboard Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
Audio Device(s) Stock onboard
Power Supply FSP Aurum Gold 650W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Quite logical, if you don't treat it decently it breaks. They can't warrant stuff you mistreat. Plastic being a dust magnet is a lame excuse, you have to keep your room clean. Most companies won't give warranty on stuff that's physically broken or looks like it wasn't used normally. Seeing the picture of that PS3 it's not just dusty.

Honestly, they cant void your warranty because you are a poor house keeper, that is BS. That would be like GM voiding your warranty because you live on a dirt road and the car was dirty.

If they will void on that, then they should have air cleaners or something saying that you should always keep it dusted. Thats the problem with a warranty though "misuse" covers a BROAD spectrum of BS that they can make up.