• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blu-ray Claims 72.6% Market Share in USA

Piablo

The only format I would consider supporting is HD-DVD, for the cost of the player. Even then, the movies are still $30 each. BluRay may be 'superior' because of storage capacity, but is that worth $300 more for a player? Some of you may enjoy pissing away your cash, most of the world does not.

Personally, I think the whole HD/BluRay war is a blip on the screen, ala laser discs. The real format will be digital 3D. I will be waiting for one of those and bypass this train wreck.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
I have yet to see the current players ability to read these triple layer discs. And what do you think BD will do? Add another layer too, then HD is fucked all over again.

exactly. sony is already on top of increasing storage space. and im pretty sure for those of us with a blu-ray player or playstation 3 can easily get firmware updates that will allow for such an improvement. sony has really done their homework on this. i cannot stress that point enough.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
The only format I would consider supporting is HD-DVD, for the cost of the player. Even then, the movies are still $30 each. BluRay may be 'superior' because of storage capacity, but is that worth $300 more for a player? Some of you may enjoy pissing away your cash, most of the world does not.

you dont have to pay an extra 300 bucks for a blu-ray player anymore.

Personally, I think the whole HD/BluRay war is a blip on the screen, ala laser discs. The real format will be digital 3D. I will be waiting for one of those and bypass this train wreck.

there is no reason to believe that a digital 3d movie cannot be one day put on a bluray or hddvd. in fact, it would be mainly up to the equipment you have to buy. and since current HD projectors are very expensive i dont see the price for digital 3d projectors to come down any time soon. so have fun waiting. the rest of us will be enjoying high definition. oh, and without the dumb 3d glasses.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Haven't seen one of these debates in a while.

Face it, we are going to be stuck with both formats for a long while. It is stupid to dislike one or the other. They both get the job done, and get it done very nicely. Blu-Ray is slightly more expensive, but the fact of the matter is that if you want a GOOD player to connect to your expensive HDTV you are going to have to put out some cash with either format. The cost difference is very minor when you look at the whole picture.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
You're right but I never did say HD-DVD was a better player. You said Blu-Ray was superior and I disagreed. So rather than an argument, it is a disagreement or rather a debate? Call it what you will. All I have done is point out what a pain Sony can be.

As far as I know, no one has had to do a firmware update on their HD-DVD players yet and Sony is just getting started. I'm guessing that pretty soon BR players will have to be connected to the net just to watch a movie but of course they will tell you how this will enable fantastic new interactive features while you watch a movie on their superior format.

What I said was,
"Thank God for HD-DVD!"
I should also mention AMD, Apple(Macs), LINUX, ATI, PHP, MySQL, and the entire Open Source community. For without them, we would be at the mercy of the 800 pound gorillas.

Let's just say I have no quarrel with you. :laugh:

Anyhow, Blu-ray players have better storage capacity. In my opinion, that makes the product superior. However, I can understand that from your viewpoint you don't necessarily care about the extra space, so it doesn't make the player superior in your eyes.

As far as the as Blu-ray player connected to the internet, providing a way to which we could stream movies, it would be nice. I say that simply because Comcast's HD selection is HORRIBLE in my opinion.

Piablo

there is no reason to believe that a digital 3d movie cannot be one day put on a bluray or hddvd. in fact, it would be mainly up to the equipment you have to buy. and since current HD projectors are very expensive i dont see the price for digital 3d projectors to come down any time soon. so have fun waiting. the rest of us will be enjoying high definition. oh, and without the dumb 3d glasses.

LOL! Who said anything about projectors?? You're too busy playing your part of BluRay cheerleader, you neglected to READ my comment. Put down the pompoms and relax a bit. Why so eager to play for a team?

Expensive hardware is my very point... The cheapest BluRay drive is $400, and the movies are $30 each. All of that just to equal what my Oppo player does for half the cost. It's your money. You can be happy to piss it away or wait for something worthwhile. All of those players people ran out and bought will be obsolete in a year or so when the 3D players do come out in the next year. The TVs, computer monitors, and games are already here.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
LOL! Who said anything about projectors?? You're too busy playing your part of BluRay cheerleader, you neglected to READ my comment. Put down the pompoms and relax a bit. Why so eager to play for a team?

Expensive hardware is my very point... The cheapest BluRay drive is $400, and the movies are $30 each. All of that just to equal what my Oppo player does for half the cost. It's your money. You can be happy to piss it away or wait for something worthwhile. All of those players people ran out and bought will be obsolete in a year or so when the 3D players do come out in the next year. The TVs, computer monitors, and games are already here.

i have yet to see any television play digital 3d movies...and i have yet to see an actual digital 3d player on the market for the consumer. that is why i mentioned projectors, because currently 3d movies can only be played from very expensive projectors with very expensive players. i mean, movie theatres are barely pushing into the 3d movie realm because it costs a ton of money. so i dont see how you can say that 3d digital movies are around the corner. if anything, there are years away. and im not cheerleading for a team, im merely pointing out how you are wrong. you will not see digital 3d movies for consumers in the coming year.

hacker111

wow...3 to 1...I don't have one yet...:cry:

Piablo

i have yet to see any television play digital 3d movies...and i have yet to see an actual digital 3d player on the market for the consumer. that is why i mentioned projectors, because currently 3d movies can only be played from very expensive projectors with very expensive players. i mean, movie theatres are barely pushing into the 3d movie realm because it costs a ton of money. so i dont see how you can say that 3d digital movies are around the corner. if anything, there are years away. and im not cheerleading for a team, im merely pointing out how you are wrong. you will not see digital 3d movies for consumers in the coming year.

You said alot in there that just isn't true. Check your facts, or by all means post a link to where you are getting your info. Again, I am waiting for the player to come out. Once the player comes out, it can be played on numerous TVs already available. They only need to display at 120hz, like this TV...
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/j/i/18326/TelevisionDetails/WD65833.html?cid=5469 It's strange all of these TV manufacturers are coming out with TVs so many years in advance of the players....
Games like Bioshock can already be played on a pc with the right card and monitor...
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d_stereo.html
And 3D movies have been around for some time, the library is growing. There are many IMax movies in 3D. Just this year Meet The Robinsons, Beowolf, and others came out in 3D, and next year there will be many more. So how wrong am I?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
You said alot in there that just isn't true. Check your facts, or by all means post a link to where you are getting your info. Again, I am waiting for the player to come out. Once the player comes out, it can be played on numerous TVs already available. They only need to display at 120hz, like this TV...
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/j/i/18326/TelevisionDetails/WD65833.html?cid=5469 It's strange all of these TV manufacturers are coming out with TVs so many years in advance of the players....
Games like Bioshock can already be played on a pc with the right card and monitor...
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d_stereo.html
And 3D movies have been around for some time, the library is growing. There are many IMax movies in 3D. Just this year Meet The Robinsons, Beowolf, and others came out in 3D, and next year there will be many more. So how wrong am I?

you are silly to think that we are going to jump into digital 3d movies and completely forget about bluray/hddvd in the next year. first, your original arguement makes no sense. there is NO reason why hd-dvd and blu-ray wont have the ability to play 3d movies. you said that hd-dvd and blu-ray will be a blip on the screen once 3d digital movies come out. but you did not provide information on my current HD formats will not be able to store the media. so your original arguement holds no water. your second arguement was that 3d digital movies are the next big thing and that people who spend a lot of money on hd setups are pissing their money away. you show 1 television that costs well over $3000 that is 3d ready. no manufacturer has any idea how this 3d technology is going to even get off the ground. there are no players for it yet. how in the world can you say that by next year we will see 3d digital movies and players at the consumer level? and how does that strenghten your first arguement? obviously you have your facts mixed up.

System Name MUFFIN_MACHINE
Processor i7 920
Motherboard E760 Classified
Cooling cooler master gemini II
Memory 6gb ddr3 crucial ballistix
Video Card(s) TFIII 6950
Storage 500gb wd, samsung spinpoint t series 500gb, 2 tb samsung somthing or other
Display(s) syncmaster 940bw 19"
Case Corsair Carbide Series 500R
Audio Device(s) X-fi extrememusic
Power Supply Corsair HX 850W
Software windows 7 64bit
Benchmark Scores i can drink a pint in 5 seconds flat.
god this is turning into another ATI vs. NVIDIA debate

Piablo

god this is turning into another ATI vs. NVIDIA debate
...which is strange because I am not siding with either Toshiba or Sony...

you are silly to think that we are going to jump into digital 3d movies and completely forget about bluray/hddvd in the next year. first, your original arguement makes no sense. there is NO reason why hd-dvd and blu-ray wont have the ability to play 3d movies. you said that hd-dvd and blu-ray will be a blip on the screen once 3d digital movies come out. but you did not provide information on my current HD formats will not be able to store the media. so your original arguement holds no water. your second arguement was that 3d digital movies are the next big thing and that people who spend a lot of money on hd setups are pissing their money away. you show 1 television that costs well over $3000 that is 3d ready. no manufacturer has any idea how this 3d technology is going to even get off the ground. there are no players for it yet. how in the world can you say that by next year we will see 3d digital movies and players at the consumer level? and how does that strenghten your first arguement? obviously you have your facts mixed up.

Look. I'm not here to insult you with my lack of support for Sony. Frankly, I don't know why you care so much. It is what it is. If I did all of the homework for you in researching which TVs are ready for 120hz, where would the fun be? There are many. LCDs, DLPs, SXRDs, LCos... the list goes on with even more manufacturers. If you want to see a cheap 22" LCD that is capable, do a search on NewEgg.

Why will BlueRay and HD be blips? Here's why. What's better than HD? 3D-HD of course! Regardless of what you think of the dopey glasses. Most of us don't care what we look like in the comfort of our own couches, or even a dark public theater. People look even more dopey when they dodge an imaginary space ship, but that's the fun. I digress...Say these HD formats had 1 million players out there each. Considering there are over 100 Million households, 98 million more need a new DVD format. This stalemate between the formats is delaying adoption. 3D-HD is the technology to break the stalemate. If Sony can fit it on the BR disc, great! But as it stands, I doubt they can. Here's why: Digital 3D (or stereoscopic 3D) operates at 120hz, that's 120 frames per second. It's two images alternating back and forth at 60hz for a combined 120 frames per second. What is the current film rate, 24 frames per second? Sometimes converted to 30 frames per second? Do the math and you have a format size 4X that of today's HD. My guess, they'll need a new format. At the very least, a new player.

Now maybe that is still not enough info. Here's an article in Business Week, an interview with James Cameron, the creator of this format.
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_14/b4028005.htm
He personally feels in 5 years this format will be widespread and ubiquitous with the movie experience. In order to become ubiquitous in 5 years, the adoption will need to begin soon. And since "all of the technology exists now", I don't think that will be a problem.

So where is your info about manufacturers having no idea how it's getting off the ground? Sounds to me to like YOU have no idea how it's going to start. Well, I just laid it out for ya, so I guess now you actually do have an idea. If you still don't believe it, that's up to you. No one says you have to change. It's been a pleasure.

V

v-zero

I own players from both camps, films from both camps, and see the importance of both camps. I doubt either will die, and whilst HD-DVD is more economically and ecologically viable (it's easy for pressing plants to go dvd -> hd-dvd, harder to go blu - higher material waste) Blu-Ray is a fair format too. If I had to make a decision I would pick HD-DVD, but only because I hate Sony with a passion...

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
THERE SHOULD BE 2 NEWS SECTIONS:

1./ REAL news

2./ Propaganda and marketing spin

System Name MUFFIN_MACHINE
Processor i7 920
Motherboard E760 Classified
Cooling cooler master gemini II
Memory 6gb ddr3 crucial ballistix
Video Card(s) TFIII 6950
Storage 500gb wd, samsung spinpoint t series 500gb, 2 tb samsung somthing or other
Display(s) syncmaster 940bw 19"
Case Corsair Carbide Series 500R
Audio Device(s) X-fi extrememusic
Power Supply Corsair HX 850W
Software windows 7 64bit
Benchmark Scores i can drink a pint in 5 seconds flat.
i wish they would just pick one and get it over with so they can argue about the next best format of something else

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
According to him, anything showing Blu-Ray outselling HD_DVD. Its sick if you ask me, to get upset and piss about them doing well. Fact is, the Ps3 is an entire entertainment system. ITs a blu ray player, no way around it. Takin it out of the equation is stupid and retarded. Also, for 100 bucks less, you get the HD DVD 1080p player. So its not much cheaper.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Look. I'm not here to insult you with my lack of support for Sony. Frankly, I don't know why you care so much. It is what it is. If I did all of the homework for you in researching which TVs are ready for 120hz, where would the fun be? There are many. LCDs, DLPs, SXRDs, LCos... the list goes on with even more manufacturers. If you want to see a cheap 22" LCD that is capable, do a search on NewEgg.

Lol, this sounds like something Bush would say (No Offense). Bush: "Look I don't know why this country cares so much! It is what it is! If I did all my homework about the weapons on mass destruction for you in researching where they are (or if there actually are any), where would be the fun in that?!?!" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
...which is strange because I am not siding with either Toshiba or Sony...

Why will BlueRay and HD be blips? Here's why. What's better than HD? 3D-HD of course! Regardless of what you think of the dopey glasses. Most of us don't care what we look like in the comfort of our own couches, or even a dark public theater. People look even more dopey when they dodge an imaginary space ship, but that's the fun. I digress...Say these HD formats had 1 million players out there each. Considering there are over 100 Million households, 98 million more need a new DVD format. This stalemate between the formats is delaying adoption. 3D-HD is the technology to break the stalemate. If Sony can fit it on the BR disc, great! But as it stands, I doubt they can. Here's why: Digital 3D (or stereoscopic 3D) operates at 120hz, that's 120 frames per second. It's two images alternating back and forth at 60hz for a combined 120 frames per second. What is the current film rate, 24 frames per second? Sometimes converted to 30 frames per second? Do the math and you have a format size 4X that of today's HD. My guess, they'll need a new format. At the very least, a new player.

Now maybe that is still not enough info. Here's an article in Business Week, an interview with James Cameron, the creator of this format.
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_14/b4028005.htm
He personally feels in 5 years this format will be widespread and ubiquitous with the movie experience. In order to become ubiquitous in 5 years, the adoption will need to begin soon. And since "all of the technology exists now", I don't think that will be a problem.

So where is your info about manufacturers having no idea how it's getting off the ground? Sounds to me to like YOU have no idea how it's going to start. Well, I just laid it out for ya, so I guess now you actually do have an idea. If you still don't believe it, that's up to you. No one says you have to change. It's been a pleasure.

i know you are not out to insult me. i am not a sony or a blu-ray fanboy. im just a guy who does not think that 3d digital movies will be in the consumers home by next year. i dont have proof that it WONT be around but you havnt offered any evidence that it WILL be around and that it WILL make hd-dvd and blu-ray useless. i dont need to offer information because im not the one making the original arguement. and sorry but james cameron is considered a big moron in the movie industry. if anything that article weakened your arguement. there is no way in hell we will see 3d digital movies by next year. look how long it took for blu-ray and hd-dvd to catch on. people are still learning about it and they have been around for 2 years. people have no idea about 3d digital movies. the general population are still watching standard television so to say that next year we will have 3d digital movies is a joke. so you are certainly entitled to wait around for the 3d movies but dont tell me im pissing my money away on blu-ray when there is absolutely no way 3d digital movies will be around any time soon.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
i know you are not out to insult me. i am not a sony or a blu-ray fanboy. im just a guy who does not think that 3d digital movies will be in the consumers home by next year. i dont have proof that it WONT be around but you havnt offered any evidence that it WILL be around and that it WILL make hd-dvd and blu-ray useless. i dont need to offer information because im not the one making the original arguement. and sorry but james cameron is considered a big moron in the movie industry. if anything that article weakened your arguement. there is no way in hell we will see 3d digital movies by next year. look how long it took for blu-ray and hd-dvd to catch on. people are still learning about it and they have been around for 2 years. people have no idea about 3d digital movies. the general population are still watching standard television so to say that next year we will have 3d digital movies is a joke. so you are certainly entitled to wait around for the 3d movies but dont tell me im pissing my money away on blu-ray when there is absolutely no way 3d digital movies will be around any time soon.

I will guarantee it won't. Why? Because regular movie theatre make far more business than say IMAX... Furthermore, I don't know if this applies to me, but I really don't care that much for 3D movies... But that's just me.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
I will guarantee it won't. Why? Because regular movie theatre make far more business than say IMAX... Furthermore, I don't know if this applies to me, but I really don't care that much for 3D movies... But that's just me.

ravenas, you are a god among men.

tdamocles

Fact is, the Ps3 is an entire entertainment system. ITs a blu ray player, no way around it. Takin it out of the equation is stupid and retarded.

Fact is, if you have no desire to have the 'entertainment system' than why would you pay $100 more to have that eyesore amongst your audio gear????

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Fact is, if you have no desire to have the 'entertainment system' than why would you pay $100 more to have that eyesore amongst your audio gear????

Wow, what an eyesore! Lol...sarcasm. If you think that's an eyesore than you think this is an eyesore:

Some people just hate on things just to do it.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Because it's also an CD,DVD,SACD player, network attached media player, and game system. Good deal for an extra $100 over a 1080p HD DVD player, if you ask me. I also have HD DVD, btw, via the 360 add-on.