• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Case Gallery] Northern Lights #13 v2.0 Aurora Borealis

System Name n.audBl
Processor E8500 @ 3.80GHz
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme
Cooling Full liquid (everything except power supply)
Memory 4Gb OCZ DDR2 PC9600
Video Card(s) Dual EVGA GTX 280 SSC Edition
Storage Dual WD Raptor in RAID 0 (300Gb), Dual WD 1Tb Cavair in RAID 1
Display(s) Dell 2407 24" HD+ Widescreen
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Fata1ty (bleh!)
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000W
Software Win 7 64bit
D

davejr1969

Outside????

9/10

Very sweet! Will you be doing anything to the exterior part (the original silver portions)?
Do you have any ideas ??? ( a few and in detail..) Thanks...( P.S. The silver exterior is deep metal flake and kinda looks cool, but I'm open. ANYTHING more I can do and NOT get TOO MUCH CLUSTER F@%K looking, I'm ready !!! I want this to be the WILDEST Dell 531s in the world...I have over $400 in this mod. now, so money is no big deal. Thinking about adding the Coolmaster Aquagate viva duo water cooling system. I have done the math and enginering, and it will fit with just a .5" of rad. sticking out the top of the case....... Thanks for all... Dave jr..

D

davejr1969

Green ???

You might have better luck just getting red leds and modding the fan itself.

TO TELL THE TRUTH , The green fan idea came to be when I saw a marijuana leaf fan grill, and I thought "cool, a pot leaf with green light behind it" but the problem is the grill only comes in 120mm size( kilbox ). Hope to fix that soon !!!!!

System Name n.audBl
Processor E8500 @ 3.80GHz
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme
Cooling Full liquid (everything except power supply)
Memory 4Gb OCZ DDR2 PC9600
Video Card(s) Dual EVGA GTX 280 SSC Edition
Storage Dual WD Raptor in RAID 0 (300Gb), Dual WD 1Tb Cavair in RAID 1
Display(s) Dell 2407 24" HD+ Widescreen
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Fata1ty (bleh!)
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000W
Software Win 7 64bit
TO TELL THE TRUTH , The green fan idea came to be when I saw a marijuana leaf fan grill, and I thought "cool, a pot leaf with green light behind it" but the problem is the grill only comes in 120mm size( kilbox ). Hope to fix that soon !!!!!

Would still look better red

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
Would still look better red

Yep.. I agree. Green and red are exact opposites. Also, green + red = christmas colors/candy/toyish colors. And tbh, Im really not a fan of LED fans.. makes you rig look like a toy.. plus, red/green/ and blue? It looks like you just grabbed hold of any LED fans out there just for the sake of lighting it up.. that is what? like.. so 1999?

Last edited:

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Wow. You're the comeback kid of TPU.

Good job, 7/10.

With such serious cooling why aren't you OC'ing this babe?

D

davejr1969

Wow. You're the comeback kid of TPU.

Good job, 7/10.

With such serious cooling why aren't you OC'ing this babe?
Thank you..... No need to overclock....just a basic computer and happy with speed.. NEXT computer wiil be over the top all around..

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
I voted 10/10. Its a sweet mod. See man, see what happens when you get great pictures and go wit the flow? Care to post any places you went to get the stuff??? and more back ground on the mod??? that way people can see how good the mod really is.. IMO
Also.. what dell case was it??? well version of dell.. Dim. 2960.. that sort of thing... We can help on the PSU...
And Strick... We'll get rid of the people that vote low and post high soon... give it time and we'll nip it in the bud and get rid of who(s) it was...

D

davejr1969

I voted 10/10. Its a sweet mod. See man, see what happens when you get great pictures and go wit the flow? Care to post any places you went to get the stuff??? and more back ground on the mod??? that way people can see how good the mod really is.. IMO
Also.. what dell case was it??? well version of dell.. Dim. 2960.. that sort of thing... We can help on the PSU...
And Strick... We'll get rid of the people that vote low and post high soon... give it time and we'll nip it in the bud and get rid of who(s) it was...
I got most of the mods. at frozencpu.com. This site is the best..... And a few things from newegg.com... This is my first REAL computer that I got in November 07'.( My old computer was a Pen. 2 system that was never used.)
When I first went on this site and seen the gallery, I said" I must do that, and like NO one else...."... I knew NOTHING about computers two months ago !!!!!!!!!!
I started by removing EVERYTHING inside case, having the inside coated with blue Metelcast, ( next time I will pay for clear coat !!! )and slowly putting everything back in....
When I thought about cooling, I could not fit a 80mm fan INSIDE, so I went with the 40mm fans, one on each of everything thats needs cooling.( cutting holes in acrylic was a pain in the ass.. )
Getting all the inverters and cables hidden or covered was VERY hard..Wraping the red EL wire around the spiral wrap was 'I think' the coolest thing...
I spent my entire two week christmas vacation on this mod, 60 hours EASY !!!! And I have over $400 in just the mods... Crazy , I know..
The case is a Dell 531s(slim model, only 4" wide, TINY !!!!)I wanted a case that nobody has, and trick it out like no one has !!! I think I did it... Wait till you see the duo water cooling I will be adding soon, it will all fit in this case...
TO ALL, THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!
P.S. THE PERSON WHO GAVE ME A 1 VOTE DID IT AT 4:30 A.M., 20 MINUTES AFTER I POSTED IN GALLERY... DON'T CARE, I'M SURE HE HAS NO LIFE OR SEX, HA HA HAA....

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
I know this is going to be a big hassle man, but can you mesaure the size of the psu??? I'm asking because I can't find the psu specs anywhere...
Dude, its a kick a$$ system and I'm glad you kept to it! aweasome work!

D

davejr1969

I'm CRAZY...

Some posts suggest installing a 3850. But surely the csae will only take low profile cards.
Thank you for seeing that.( MANY p.m.'s telling me what I should do, most of which will NOT fit in my case ????) this is a Dell 531s (slim model 4" wide) THANKS TO ALL WHO VOTED !!!!!!
P.S. After loading this case with all these mods. and hidding most of the electronics, I'm going to add a seperate power supply (Thermaltake purepower power express 250w. Model #W0099RU)that will HIDE in place of the media card reader, and a duel water cooling system (Cooler Master aquagate viva duo) that will HIDE in top of case....With this mod. I will be able to add water cooling AND upgrade to the BEST low-profile VGA ...( EVERYBODY, PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE THE BEST "LOW-PROFILE" NVIDIA CARD)I'm crazy, I know..This case is SOOO thin.. It takes hours and hours of thought experiments and 420 to engineer how to route and hide everything !!!! The CC lights I used a little strip of blue electrical tape to hide the glare and also lightly painted them with translucent blue paint to make them less white-blue and make them a deeper blue... MANY little things that takes soooo much time..BUT I LOVE IT, WE ALL DO, LOL.....THANKS TOO ALL !!

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
Northern Lights #13 v2.0 Aurora Borealis

INTRODUCING THE WORLD TO THE NUMBER 13!! VERY NICE!

P

pastollio

hey i have the same pc has you dell 531s i have an upgrade cpu
but i have always wanted a new grapic card but my PSU is like yous like 250
how did you get the 8400 to work if that requires 300 watts please tell me i want a grapics card and if you can tell me were you got yours

P.S. nice build it looks really good

good job dude