• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google: Microsoft/Yahoo Merger Will 'Ruin The Internet'

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
As most of you know, Yahoo is seriously considering letting Microsoft buy them. However, we cannot forget that more than just Microsoft would benefit if Yahoo was to consider letting someone buy them. Google would also be pretty pleased if they could get Yahoo in their pocket, much like YouTube. However, instead of place a bid in, Google sent some nasty comments Microsoft's way.
Could Microsoft now attempt to exert the same sort of inappropriate and illegal influence over the Internet that it did with the PC? While the Internet rewards competitive innovation, Microsoft has frequently sought to establish proprietary monopolies-and then leverage its dominance into new, adjacent markets.
Please follow the source article for the full statement Google put out regarding this possible merger/purchase.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor i5-2500K @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Video Card(s) Radeon HD 7850 2GB
Storage 250GB Samsung EVO; 1TB WD Black
Display(s) 22" ASUS
Power Supply Rosewill Hive-650
Software Windows 8 64-bit
Could Microsoft now attempt to exert the same sort of inappropriate and illegal influence over the Internet that it did with the PC? While the Internet rewards competitive innovation, Microsoft has frequently sought to establish proprietary monopolies—and then leverage its dominance into new, adjacent markets.

Oh snap...., thats totally what they would try to do XD

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
google speaks the truth. nothing wrong with telling the truth. microsoft seams to like to lie about stuff. they also like to scare people into using their stuff.

whats funny is the fact that over 70% of the internet is run on linux servers. a lot of the sites people visit day to day use software that was designed on NON-Windows computers.
windows server products arent on the same level of performance as linux and unix server OSes.

java= developed by sun microsystems then rewrote for windows
flash/shockwave= mac/unix developed
apache= linux developed and run on most linux servers

im sure i could make quite a list but i wont waste the time.

google has developed a whole monsterous search engine that is amazingly good. you can even buy your own google server if you want.

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium
I really hope ms doesn't take over yahoo. I don't want to have to give up my email because it changes because of microsoft.

oh UNIX how my affinity for UNIX grows everyday how i hate UNIX
i dont really mind if microsoft owns the biggest OS in the world see way i see it is if they didnt we would be in a mac dominated planet who really cares when we get stable gaming stable operating and compatibility and a friendly user interface
the fact most of the planet uses windows just means that it has to perform well so that it dosnt get a world wide backlash

i dont mind if they buy out yahoo because then google will have a loosened grip on the internet i dont care as long as i can search its all the same but i hate how everyone just thinks ufft google it i always correct them and tell em to use a search engine

daboggeyman

System Name Badmother 2
Processor AMD 6000+ AM2@ 3.3 Ghz
Motherboard DFI AM2 570 Infinity
Cooling Air
Memory Corsair Dominator 2GB
Video Card(s) ATI 4850
Storage 2x WD SATA2 120 + 1 WD 80 = 320 HD Space
Display(s) LCD
Case ChifeTec Full tower
Audio Device(s) ON Board sound 6.1 Suround Speakers
Power Supply 650 Watt Ultra V series
Software Win XP pro x64 / Vista
Benchmark Scores not into it
Man this is one deal that i really hope falls apart before it get started. Seems MS is trying to rule more than just PC,s do they need to rule the world? Can any one stop the MS monster?:mad:

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
I'll say it before and I'll say it again. If Microsoft buys Yahoo, we'll be paying for everything from news to movie showings to yahoo answers. :banghead::banghead:

Oh yeah. GO GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
oh UNIX how my affinity for UNIX grows everyday how i hate UNIX
i dont really mind if microsoft owns the biggest OS in the world see way i see it is if they didnt we would be in a mac dominated planet who really cares when we get stable gaming stable operating and compatibility and a friendly user interface
the fact most of the planet uses windows just means that it has to perform well so that it dosnt get a world wide backlash

i dont mind if they buy out yahoo because then google will have a loosened grip on the internet i dont care as long as i can search its all the same but i hate how everyone just thinks ufft google it i always correct them and tell em to use a search engine

I had to come back and post this...

Your post makes completely no sense. :wtf:

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Memory 2GB Corsair 800mhz
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Storage 300GB 7.2kRPM Seagate for OS; 74GB 10kRPM WD for Games
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
Sounds to me like Google is just afraid of some competition. Obviously google rules the intranet. They know MS is a worthy competitor and this will disrupt Google's plan for world domination. MS needs to move to the internet to stay in the game since so many things are going online.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Sounds to me like Google is just afraid of some competition. Obviously google rules the intranet. They know MS is a worthy competitor and this will disrupt Google's plan for world domination. MS needs to move to the internet to stay in the game since so many things are going online.

Google isn't afraid of competition from MS. Lol...Google wrote the book on search engine. Hell, the search engine that Yahoo uses is Google's search engine. Yahoo hasn't even been able to keep up with Google's advances in the field of search engine. Microsoft has attempted to, but it just a crappy search engine imo. Too many bells, not enough whistles.

The only search engine that is second to Google is Ask.com imo.

Microsoft jumping into a field they won't be able to handle.

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
Ravenas, if MS was jumping into a field they couldn't handle, google wouldn't cry about it. I only use google to search, but it will be nice for someone to actually give google a run for their money.... and if anybody in the entire universe can do it, it would me Microsoft. MS competing with google will make google innovate even more. The whole reason google is as awesome as they are now is because they had o get to the top of the internet game. Now that they are on top they feel threatened with MS+Yahoo and are worried. The result will be fierce competition - the best option for the consumer. It's economics 101 my friend.

D.F.

c'mon guys! none of then speak the right or the truth. Both microsoft and google aim for more and more power!

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
In a way Google is right, they might use the same monkey tricks they played with consumers on the PC front. Monopoly/closed-standards will kill innovation.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Ravenas, if MS was jumping into a field they couldn't handle, google wouldn't cry about it. I only use google to search, but it will be nice for someone to actually give google a run for their money.... and if anybody in the entire universe can do it, it would me Microsoft. MS competing with google will make google innovate even more. The whole reason google is as awesome as they are now is because they had o get to the top of the internet game. Now that they are on top they feel threatened with MS+Yahoo and are worried. The result will be fierce competition - the best option for the consumer. It's economics 101 my friend.

I don't think Google is crying lol. I think Google is telling us Microsoft is about to "ruin the internet". MS is buying Yahoo because it will make them money. Not because they are wanting to compete in the search engine field.

Do you realize how many people use Yahoo as their homepage? Yahoo has messenger services, email, movie times ect ect. MS made exactly the same concept as Yahoo, and it was called MSN. MSN failed to reach Yahoo's standards. So what did MS decide to do? Instead of trying to get MSN to Yahoo standards, they will just buy Yahoo. MS has all the money to do it also. MS knows they won't compete with Google, MS is getting access to a money vault. MS isn't all that innovative if you look at their track record. If anything, MS denies other companies from innovating.

spacejunky

Processor Core i7 920 O.C. to 3.2 GHz
Motherboard Asus P6T V2 Deluxe
Cooling air
Memory 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 295
Storage Velociraptor + 300GB Mirror
Display(s) Gateway 30" 1600P
Case Antec 900
Power Supply Antec 650 trio
Software Vista 64bit
Google isn't afraid of competition from MS. Lol...Google wrote the book on search engine. Hell, the search engine that Yahoo uses is Google's search engine. Yahoo hasn't even been able to keep up with Google's advances in the field of search engine. Microsoft has attempted to, but it just a crappy search engine imo. Too many bells, not enough whistles.

The only search engine that is second to Google is Ask.com imo.

Microsoft jumping into a field they won't be able to handle.

Ravenas,
You never see the big picture in any of your posts. BTW MS is already in the field, genius.

First of all, Yahoo does not use Google's patented search engine and second of all it is not search that Google is worried about. Google is worried about MS online apps threatening their online apps which was their next plan for world eavesdropping. Everything people do on Google is stored and indexed forever which is why Google is evil.

The only reason Google is number 1 in search is because 50% of their clicks are false through Adsense. Let's see, I put Adsense on my site and tell 10 of my friends to click random ads so that I get just enough revenue to counter my Adwords bill. You think everyone on Wallstreet doesn't realize this? Of course they do but they all turn their head and give praise to the greatest search company on the planet and keep making outrageous buy recommendation with price targets in the $700+ range. Sound familliar? Like maybe the Subprime crisis? A crash in search will not affect the entire economy like Subprime did but just wait. They will be exposed soon enough. It almost happened a few years ago but they gave out some settlement money to the big corps to keep their mouths shut. It would not surprise me if they continue to give out money to keep the big companies quiet.

I like Yahoo and I respect MS as a good company. I think they should join forces. And No...They will not start charging for their services.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Ravenas,
You never see the big picture in any of your posts. BTW MS is already in the field, genius.

First of all, Yahoo does not use Google's patented search engine and second of all it is not search that Google is worried about. Google is worried about MS online apps threatening their online apps which was their next plan for world eavesdropping. Everything people do on Google is stored and indexed forever which is why Google is evil.

The only reason Google is number 1 in search is because 50% of their clicks are false through Adsense. Let's see, I put Adsense on my site and tell 10 of my friends to click random ads so that I get just enough revenue to counter my Adwords bill. You think everyone on Wallstreet doesn't realize this? Of course they do but they all turn their head and give praise to the greatest search company on the planet and keep making outrageous buy recommendation with price targets in the $700+ range. Sound familliar? Like maybe the Subprime crisis? A crash in search will not affect the entire economy like Subprime did but just wait. They will be exposed soon enough. It almost happened a few years ago but they gave out some settlement money to the big corps to keep their mouths shut. It would not surprise me if they continue to give out money to keep the big companies quiet.

I like Yahoo and I respect MS as a good company. I think they should join forces. And No...They will not start charging for their services.

Google is evil because they are an advertising company? Lol... Next time I need help seeing the big picture, I'll be sure not to ask you. ;) :laugh:

System Name BumBumBox
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard ITX
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) 3080ti
Storage 2TB
Software Win11
why not just make G-Soft

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
M$ just want to buy a customer base rather than another company, i personally think Yahoo's services are better than Microsoft's clogged active-x laden websites and the fact is some people want a measure of independence from Microsoft's services and M$ buying a rival will just make alternate services stronger, i think it is time Lycos made a comeback anyway.

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
Google knows competition when they see it. Competition is good.

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
c'mon guys! none of then speak the right or the truth. Both microsoft and google aim for more and more power!

Words of wisdom from this guy:toast::toast::toast:

I only try to trust Ask.com. Yes sometimes I will use google but I try not to for the most part. Some things are just faster to search for on certain web search engines. With google You may get 20,000 links to the same thing from the same site, just an added post or so after the article for example.

Ravenas Google is evil because they put a smile on every day. Their just like a child predator. They know you well enough to where your family can trust to leave them alone with you and then thats when they will attack you. Only with Google they are devising something far more devious, than that

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Words of wisdom from this guy:toast::toast::toast:

I only try to trust Ask.com. Yes sometimes I will use google but I try not to for the most part. Some things are just faster to search for on certain web search engines. With google You may get 20,000 links to the same thing from the same site, just an added post or so after the article for example.

Ravenas Google is evil because they put a smile on every day. Their just like a child predator. They know you well enough to where your family can trust to leave them alone with you and then thats when they will attack you. Only with Google they are devising something far more devious, than that

Sounds like the words from a google user with a BiPolar disorder. :laugh:

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
Sounds like the words from a google user with a BiPolar disorder. :laugh:

You seriously come up with some of the craziest and stupidest comebacks Ravenas.

Do you even know what Bi-Polar disorder actually is in reality. I think not:slap:

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
Google is worried about MS online apps threatening their online apps.
EXACTLY. I have 2 relatives who work at google. The #1 priority for google is user base. Microsoft will be developing awesome ways to incorporate future versions of windows into the internet. Microsoft will get a HUGE user base by owning Yahoo. This will force Google to spend more of it's cashmoney for consumer bribery. Google is smart... and they are smart to be scared.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
You seriously come up with some of the craziest and stupidest comebacks Ravenas.

Do you even know what Bi-Polar disorder actually is in reality. I think not:slap:

You seriously are one up tight guy lol... It was a joke. BPD has symptoms of being a paranoid person.