• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rockstar Reaches Hot Coffee Settlement

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
This will cost Rockstar too dear. Instead they should have said, "return your discs for replacement discs without explicit content" with maybe a $5 compensation. Afterall, nothing was sooo shockingly explicit considering the game was meant for grown-ups and explicit content is available but locked. So I don't see the logic in the $35 compensation.

I don't see the logic in about 90% of "obscenity" court cases in America today, so go figure.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
I've got a copy, and I'm sure I could dig up my receipt somewhere. Am I going to return it for cash? No.

I'm so perverse that I bother to install something like Hot Coffee, and I also don't personally thing Rockstar should be blamed for people hacking the game. It's like Someone hacking their copy of Windows only to find that they've opened up a backdoor that lets their computer be exploited and then trying to sue M$.

That was an awful analogy....

Rockstar coded it, and left it in. It's they're fault and they're responsibility for not removing it.

While it may seem 'silly' that people would sue over this, and we question their motives, by law they have a right to do so.

Customers entered a voluntary contract with Rockstar games, to provide a game that meets a particular rating, in this case it's "M" correct? If the court can determine that the content of the 'hot coffee' scene(s) exceeds that of "M" rating, then that contract between Rockstar and their consumers has been broken, negated, voided, neglected etc. by Rockstar.

They are responsible for the content and for the marketing.

The ESRB should also be responsible, even though they may be able to claim ignorance.

Personally, I like seeing this. I don't condone wreckless use of litigation, but, the concept of a large company of this caliber, having to give in to a normal consumer because of a contract dispute, is refreshing, as opposed to yet another company squashing an individual or group of individuals because they can with their big-wig lawyers and corporate domination - money bleeding approach.

And to loop back to Jim's comment/comparison concerning Microsoft: had something similar happened to Microsoft, say the findings of two anime chicks having sex in a 3d modelling program that Microsoft built or 'packaged' with Vista, people would be up in arms.

On principle alone it's unacceptable and inappropriate, but they'd be raving mad just because they're anti-MS, not pro morals or ethics.
Motivation is a key player, but law is law; break it and pay the consequences.

Last edited:

thegave

System Name Needs a new name
Processor Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz Extreme Edition (IT WORKS!)
Motherboard Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright XP-120
Memory 4x512mb Corsair XMS3200XL
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATi X1950Pro 512MB AGP + AC Accelero X2
Storage Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA-II 8MB cache
Display(s) Dell 1800FP
Case None!
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600W
Software Windows XP Professional
Benchmark Scores Too good for benching
just like sex.... lol
I think this is goes in the wtf files for me... Like I'm going to spend time to go on line and find out when i bought that game, and what!?! I know it was the day before it came out, but i bought it few months before... so that leaves a lot to look into... now, if I'd only go through everything like they ask to get money and I'd be rich... Get a few every few months saying that I qualify for this or that settlement.. A load of bs...
IMO

That doesn't help. Seriously, how do you "win" the sex games? It's pretty frickin annoying since I've discovered I can't get into the Hustler anymore...

hacker111

To bad I dont have it. Hey can we buy it now and get the refund? That would be sweet. Then we could make some money...:slap: