• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800 Pro VIVO to XT PE Bios Mod

Cataclysm_J

What should I clean it with, is there something I can just find around the house that will do it properly?

obl

Just wipe it with a clean cloth then dampen the cloth with 99% alcohol to finish cleaning.
Not rubbing alcohol (has too much water in it)

yeba

Hi, I just purchased an x850 pro AGP and flashed it x850xt nonpe. I got 16 pipes now. However, the fan completely stops at boot up and only runs after windows is loaded. How do I fix this?

Also, is there any benefit of using the XT bios vs the pro(w/ 16 pipes)? I have not decide if I want to stick with the x850xt bios or the modded x850pro bios with 16 pipes.

also, I removed the stock cooler and replaced the stock gpu paste with artic ceramique. My card is running cooler now.

Thanks.

obl

I don't think there is any advantage to using the XT bios other than the identification ( XT as opposed to PRO)? and it sets the GPU and Memory Clocks higher and you can do that yourself with RaBiT.

The Pro clocks are normally 499/499 and the XT are 520/540

Cataclysm_J

My Pro clocks are 507/520, its a powercolor. I've got it up to 600/600 but it runs best at 570/590

obl

There are cards that are clocked faster than 499/499.
I was just going by the ATI card specs. :) to try to keep the answer simple.

GoodCanadianKid

Great article W1zzard

Thanks for this. I picked up a ATI x850 Pro VIVO at BB the other day and a Zalman VF700-cu cooler from a computer shop and went to work on this mod. After removing the GPU HS/fan I considered packing it in because I noted the 2ns chips. Then I decided I had come to far to not at least try.
My first attempt botched because I didn't use the -newbios switch. So I booted and was hugely disppointed to see only 12 pipes (although the ATITool and the driver figured out I had an X850XT PE...
I did some more research and found the switch and reflashed the card again. Success!
ATITool reported the 16 pipes. At normal operation I'm getting temps of 33 deg. Variable temps with different benchmarks etc. but all completely acceptable. I also found I could overclock it more that the XT PE speeds but have rolled it back to the stock XT PE settings as I'm happy to have a card that performs the same for under $300!
BTW - I found that one RAM sink interferes with the rear bracket on the Zalman VF700-cu... it was just one of the pointy lugs so I clipped it with some wire cutters and that corner slid under the bracket and the sink is centered properly on the chip.
Attached are some ATITool screen grabs and my board...
Final flash command (using ATIFlash) was ATIFLASH -newbios -f -p 0 newbios.bin for those who might be interested.

Attachments

• Ati Tool Capture Clocks.jpg
    Ati Tool Capture Clocks.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 809
  • Ati Tool Capture Fuse.jpg
    Ati Tool Capture Fuse.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 828
  • Ati Tool Capture Pipes.jpg
    Ati Tool Capture Pipes.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 988
  • Memory Chips.jpg
    Memory Chips.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 930
  • P1020055a.jpg
    P1020055a.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 913
  • P1020057a.jpg
    P1020057a.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 899
Last edited:

yeba

My x850 pro is not a good overlocker. Max core at stock is 530, with pencil vmod, it reached only 555. Max memory is 580. SHould i keep this card or have it replaced?

My previous x850 pro that I rma'ed could reach 580 at stock settings.

dejanb13

hello, is it possible to flash my x800pro vivo without floppy drive... maybe with bootable cd... and how to make one:confused:

CrazyCanuck777

Hello,

I've tried flashing my x800pro VIVO with flashrom 3 times using the flashrom -f -p 0 ***.bin command and each time I boot into windows it still shows up as having 12pipes . All 3 times Ive flashed it It said its verified and it played a song.

any help would be great :)

lyno

Processor AMD X6 1055T @ 3.8GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
Cooling Akasa Venom CPU Cooler
Memory Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) nVidia GTX 460 @ 900/1800/2100
Storage 2x Seagate 500GB 7200RPM
Display(s) BenQ 21.5" 1080p LED
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W ATX
Software Windows 7 x64
need a PRO

Hey, could anyone link me to a site which will allow me to buy a PRO card that has been proven to be able to unlock the 4 pipes and ships to the UK.

thanks,

Lyno

EDIT: forgot to add that it must be AGP

lyno

Processor AMD X6 1055T @ 3.8GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
Cooling Akasa Venom CPU Cooler
Memory Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) nVidia GTX 460 @ 900/1800/2100
Storage 2x Seagate 500GB 7200RPM
Display(s) BenQ 21.5" 1080p LED
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W ATX
Software Windows 7 x64
cheers

obl said:
This is where I ordered mine and according to their shipping page they do ship internationally.
I go to the local CompUSA store a lot and they are very honest and good to do business with in my opinion.
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=332729&pfp=cat3&tabtype=pi#moreinfo

P.S.
I did unlock all pipes on this card with no problems and no HW Mod.
With the guide here it was easy.

Thanks for the quick reply, although it seems it's sold out and the "Limited Availability" note makes me think they'll not be getting anymore in stock, i'll just have to wait and see i guess :(

anyone know anywhere else?

Last edited:

shoemaken

x850pro UNLOCKED PIPELINES AT LAST!!!!!

I've just spend the better part of 4 hours trying to unlock my ATI x850 pro from 12 to 16 pipelines. Like many other people, I was partly successful becuase my card would be recognized as an x850xtpe with xtpe clocks, but I couldn't get the added pipleines. And the pipelines are what I really wanted. I flashed several times with many different bios (.bin) files. But I finally found a combination that worked. I went to the following link and downloaded the followng files from the bottom of the page.

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/44936-how-flash-your-x850pro-xt-pe.html

1. flashrom16p.zip (114.0 KB)

2. x850 xtpe 1.6 fan control agp.zip (34.3 KB)

3. before flashing anything, completely uninstall all ATI drivers.

4. Reboot to windows.

5. Reboot to DOS and flash bios.

6. Reboot to Windows and install ATI drivers (I used Cat 6.2)

7. Reboot to Windows.

I tried atiflash several times before eventually realizing that it was not opening the correct sized bios (.bin) file. I had to switch to flashrom. Make sure you check the .bin file size you download against the size verified at the flash screen.

I'm gonna go run some benchmarks now and see if all this trouble was worth it. I'll post the results when I'm done.

shoemaken

unlocked x850 pro benchmarks

Running at stock x850pro speeds (500,500), I'm seeing about a 8% increase in my 3dmark03 score. Thats awsome!

rogur

If the theres a laser cut on my X850 pro built by ati can I close it with silver laquer (Like closing bridges on Athlon xp Chip to unlock multi)? My card has the rage theater chip and the yellow connector on it and I can use video in video out but it is laser cut..Dont want to trash it but will it work?

testemo

hi guys,

i am trying to do the mod on a "connect3d x850pro vivo agp".
so far i have not been successful :-(
can anyone recommend a good bios for this card? i'd like to keep the stock clocks but want to enable the 4 remaining pipelines.

and before i forget ;-)
how do i check if my card has 1,6 ns or 2,0 ns timings on the memory?

any help is much appreciated!

greets

el_guapo

Hi all,

Mockinson500 - I just had the same problem over the weekend. You sure you're not running an AX- or EAX850?

I got a new card over the weekend (asus extreme ax850pro pci-e) and flashed it with the XT bios but no luck unlocking the pipelines. After looking at the card serial numbers I realised it wasn't going to work so I flashed it back to the original bios. Unfortunately, like your card, my fan has stopped ramping up as needed. It seems to be running, but at a bare minimum, and like yourself my temps are much higher - somewhere about 70c idle / [crazy]c load. I can't run any heavy 3d stuff now as the temps just keep on climbing.

I've all the lower pci slots mostly cleared out (for a bit of breathing room) in the meantime, but I put in an order for a molex to fan power splitter today, so I'm going to try running the fan off that and see if it helps wih the temp problems (should do!). Then my only problem's gonna be finding earplugs ;) I'll let ya know if it does.

So can anyone else hazard a guess why this has happened? Is it some asus specific quirk? Any suggestions? I also can't find a copy of the original bios for this card - is it slightly different from the regular x850s?

Cheers

El Guapo

jcc39

Hey guys I haven't had a chance to read through the entire 93 pages of this thread, but I just got a BBA X850 pro AGP with VIVO. Is the information in the beggining of this thread still valid? Meaning can I flash my bios to the XT to unlock the extra 4 pipes? According to this article it says any X850pro VIVO can be unlocked, but according to one of the other modding FAQ's here: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/127 I don't have F's where it says I need to to unlock the pipes. So which is correct, should I bother trying to unlock, or just leave it be and overlock the card. Thanks for any help

despiser

Standard fan

It may be mentioned somewhere, but I could not find it so I'll simply restate: You should not flash to xt with a standard fan. Fortinately, I was cautious and immediately lowered my clock to 452/452 from 500/500 on a 850 pro and was suprised to see that the temp was 95 degrees after running 3dmark05. Also the score was still about 150 less than the 12 pipe bios overclocked at 533/540.

DrunkenMonkey42

Hi, This may have already been addressed but i dont feel like reading 93 pages of a thread. I am trying to flashmod my x800pro vivo pci-e card to an x800xt pci-e. Apparently the platinum edition does not exist for pci-e. I tried all four bios' that were listed in the link for this card, and each time windows detected it as an x800 gt, which actually diabled 4 pipelines and lowered the clocks. The one bios that was the x800pro but with 16 pipes was corrupted, and i had to reverse the flash blind. Has anyone had success flash modding a pci-e card? if so, could you post and give me a link to download the bios, or i can give you my email and you can email it to me, thanks.

P5y

Processor AMD Athlon 3200XP ~ 2205mhz
Motherboard Asus A7N8X-X
Cooling Thermal Take Volcano , 2 Case Fans , ATI Silencer 5
Memory 1024 Mb Ram Geil Brand
Video Card(s) 256Mb X850 Pro ~ 16 pipelines 530/580
Storage 160Gb 133Mhz
Power Supply Tagen 480W PSU
Ok about FAN Control.

I did the mod to normal X850XT. I lost the fan. It didnt work. But when I went in ATI Tool, and set the Fan at 100% it worked. So basically I just need to start up everytime with ATI tool loaded overiding fan control to 100%. At 80% ther fan doesnt work...so I assume only 100% works. If I Turn off ATI Tool, and restart ATI tool , the fan says it will run at 81% and my fan stops working. So every time , I have to make sure the FAn gets activated by ATI tool at 100% :-/

Are there any Bios out there that are default set to 500 core and mem , but come with 16 pipelines?

Last edited:

midas

happy midas

hello guys,

today i received my new Connect3D x850 Pro Vivo and i was more than happy that my the pipes not lasercuted!!!

so i wanna mod to x850 XT PE but if i search 4 the bios i must see that´s techpowerup´s database not included this bios :(

it´s a Connect3D RADEONTM X850 XT PE 256 MB DDR TV-Out + DVI`s bios which i need!!
(btw @ connect3D page are writen thats the x850 xt pe are new in their Portfolio)

can anybody help that i get this bios

thx anyway

greetz

midas

bobyjo

System Name My Stuff
Processor A64 X2-4400
Motherboard DFI LP NF4 Sli-D
Cooling CNPS9500CuLed
Memory OCZ 2x1gb Platinum
Video Card(s) VisionTek HD3850 512
Storage WD 500gb SATA3
Display(s) Samsung 22" LCD
Case Tsami Dream
Audio Device(s) Onboard w/Logitech 5.1's
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream700 Watt
Software XP Pro SP2
midas said:
hello guys,

today i received my new Connect3D x850 Pro Vivo and i was more than happy that my the pipes not lasercuted!!!

so i wanna mod to x850 XT PE but if i search 4 the bios i must see that´s techpowerup´s database not included this bios :(

it´s a Connect3D RADEONTM X850 XT PE 256 MB DDR TV-Out + DVI`s bios which i need!!
(btw @ connect3D page are writen thats the x850 xt pe are new in their Portfolio)

can anybody help that i get this bios

thx anyway

greetz

midas

I suggest you download the bios for a Sapphire X850XTPE card.
X850 XT PE (AGP) 256 MB
This is if you are using the AGP format, if PCEe format just select that bios file.
Be sure you place the -f switch in the command line when you flash. This way you will not receive any errors about not being a Connect 3d bios.

Ok Well i have an ATI X850PRO AGP SamSung 1.6ns memory that i just want the pipes unlocked from 12 pipes to 16 becuase i dont have a third-party heatsink. Can anyone please unlock the pipes for me? And here is the Memory id just in case you need it:
Samsung K4J553230F-GC16

Thanks ahead of time!

ATI.X850PRO.256Samsung16 bios