• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Undersea Fiber Optic Network Cables Being Cut, Owners Won't Speculate As to Why

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 3.40GHz (400x8.5)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.1
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Memory 2x Crucial Ballistix DDR2 2GB 4:5 @ 500MHz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 560Ti 1GB TOP Edition
Storage Crucial M4 128GB SSD + WD Black 500GB WD5001AALS
Display(s) Samsung P2370HD @ 1920x1080 60Hz
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24-bit w/ Creative Inspire T6060 5.1 200W
Power Supply CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 600w
Software Windows 7 Professional Edition SP1 64-bit
On the flip-side, if pointing fingers blatantly interests you, a smarter choice would be the Jehadi Terrorists? After all, they're nucleated around this part of the world? Besides, if America blanks out our internet, Americans suffer too in not being able to get their Dell support on time.

its called speculation, just like others on this thread.

fuck dell, who cares when theres billions of dollars of oil available in the middle east

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Well, the terrorists did threaten an "internet jihad", so until some proof surfaces it is all just pure speculation as to who to point finger at.

Case Antec 300
our IT lecturer today said "whats the chance that this tanker decided to drop its anchor in that precise place when its never happend before. then it happens at the same time in 2 other places"

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
its called speculation, just like others on this thread.

fuck dell, who cares when theres billions of dollars of oil available in the middle east

You're taking this discussion 50 miles south of the topic. Include yourself in the list of speculators as you were the one who started the whole "America behind this" thingy. There's not a single dollar worth free oil here for you, your governments are paying thru their noses.

That said, return to the topic.

Case Antec 300
You're taking this discussion 50 miles south of the topic. Include yourself in the list of speculators as you were the one who started the whole "America behind this" thingy. There's not a single dollar worth free oil here for you, your governments are paying thru their noses.

That said, return to the topic.

no my friend your about 2000 miles east off what im on about, middle east.

B

bassmasta

no my friend your about 2000 miles east off what im on about, middle east.

there's one major problem with your theory. while I won't lie, I hate the states, it's not something they would do. one of the major things to remember is that some of these areas can still connect to the internet through satellite or through landlines. untill these are gone, I'm going to have to say that it's not the states, or anyone else. besides this, I would wait untill some type of investigation has occured in order to determine how the lines were cut. if the owner won't consent to an investigation, then I might give you some credit, but not until then.

shmig

you're all a bunch of paranoid fools. There's absolutely no reason to think it's terrorism. Active volcanoes does not mean tectonic movements are great enough to break anything (1 inch a year? come on...). The dragging anchor seems the most likely (human error, more stupidity). When was the last time the IRA did anything? they got their country back, don't see why they'd still be complaining. what else... durka durka. You're telling me that there's not a bunch of Arabs making fun of Americans without any solid basis for any of it? I'd rather be playfully making fun of a type of people than have serious stereotypes and prejudices. Fiber optics is better than satellites, much cheaper to replace too. No, these lines will not ruin anyones internet, except maybe Morocco or something which is nowhere nearby these cables. Last I checked the Middle East was still connected to the rest of the world by land (and even more wires), and the internet isn't a telegraph line that once severed ends the internet. This was not coordinated. Coordinated is when multiple lines are cut nearly simultaneously, not over the span of several days.

Though this is interesting to think about, the reality is that they were likely severed for some stupid reason and the owner, likely Arabian and rich as all hell, wasn't concerned because he had several of them in place (and likely placed in a coordinated, as in simultaneous, and economical fashion). Then when chance stepped in and broke multiple ones, ruining is awe-inspiring T3 connection, he got off his lazy but to make a call and get some ship to replace these which takes some time. The end.

See how plausible that is? Even your own paranoid lazy butt can accept this theory, and would likely do the same if you were the owner of these lines.

thoughtdisorder

System Name Decent Lappy
Looking at the pictures earlier the breaks seemed to be in a straight line. With that said, is there a fault line that runs through that region that correlates? There has been an amazing amount of plate movement over the last few months. See below:

Nov 25th, 2007 underwater quake measuring 6.4 off the island of Sumbawa

Dec 5th, 2007 a magnitude 4.7 hit Pakistan

January 7, 2008 a 6.7 magnitude underwater earthquake in the Pacific Ocean

January 29, 2008 an earthquake 5.1 in Kazakhstan

Feb 3rd, 2008 there was an earthquake measuring 5.9 in Kenya.

Feb 6th, 2008 underwater quake 4.7 off coast of New Zealand

thoughtdisorder

System Name Decent Lappy
Actually, I just checked it out. Interesting, see below.