• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop Market Dying Out, Say Analysts at Gartner

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
The market for laptops is quite uncertain at the moment. With Apple having made/making a transition over to Intel, ASUS launching more EeePCs and an anticipated flood of cheap computers, the market could go anywhere from its current state. Analysts over at Gartner have a pessimistic view of the future. They think that the very thing that got people into laptops in the first place could doom the industry. A desire for capable, portable information powerhouses could, by 2012, push businesses and people away from laptops, and towards smaller devices such as PDAs and so-called smart phones.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
theyll always be a market for lappys be it bussiness ppl or chaps like me who want power but dont want to lug around case monitor keyboard ect to mates place or lans.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
whoever said this needs a slap. the laptop market is not dying out - Ive already got a laptop but i am planning to buy another specifically for gaming & also i have a desktop pc.

the laptop business is booming but not as much as they'd like to because powerful laptops are still expensive

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Well, when you can hook a PDA up to a projector and do a PowerPoint presentation, I can see laptops getting less desirable for business also.

Just a thought.

beyond_amusia

System Name Cozad (Asus G60JX)
Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Video Card(s) nVidia GeForce 360M
Storage 500GB
Display(s) 16 inch LED LCD
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
I think price versus performance may be having an impact on laptop sales, but I don't think laptop sales would ever stop unless they invent a replacement for the computer.

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
They need to make some decent AND affordable lightweight laptops. EeePC is not affordable and can’t be found anywhere at the $199 ASUS promised before launch. I went to my local Microcenter the other day and every single laptop weighed like a ton of bricks. All of them were humongous and their specs were not too impressive while the prices were ridiculously high. I mean, in my opinion at least, the only reason to get a laptop is because of ability to keep mobile and compute at the same time, this is made difficult by the fact that most laptops are oversized, heavy, and thick enough to be used as armor plating on tanks, not to mention the cost.

Last edited:

beyond_amusia

System Name Cozad (Asus G60JX)
Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Video Card(s) nVidia GeForce 360M
Storage 500GB
Display(s) 16 inch LED LCD
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
They need to make some decent AND affordable lightweight laptops. EeePC is not affordable and can’t be found anywhere at the $199 ASUS promised before launch. I went to my local Microcenter the other day and every single laptop weighed like a ton of bricks. All of them were humongous and their specs were not too impressive while the prices were ridiculously high. I mean, in my option at least, the only reason to get a laptop is because of ability to keep mobile and compute at the same time, this is made difficult by the fact that most laptops are oversized, heavy, and thick enough to be used as armor plating on tanks, not to mention the cost.

Amen. You can buy a $300 desktop with the (near) same specs of a $500+ laptop.

ChillyMyst

laptop market is booming according to some reports i saw recently.....i dont see that changing.

i do agree we need more cheap yet decent laptops, i just hope some companys come up with lappys usign VIA's new cpu that due out soon, its speced to be as fast as current amd and intel cpu's in the low and mid range market but use like 20watts PEEK power draw, also they run UBER COOL, no over heating lappys!!!!

personaly i have owned lappys and desktops, lappys are for work and surfing, a gaming lappy is just to pricy for the perf you get and they are to heavy to be regularly carryed around, they are more desktop replacments(dtr's) then laptops.

well heres to hoping we see more via based tablets and laptops in the future, we need a 3rd chip choice :)

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
My wife just bought her an HP Media Laptop from CompUSA yesterday. Seeing as they got the 20% off and everything, got an 800+ laptop for a little over 600. Lots of folks were in there snatching up the more overly priced ones too especially with the discount.

Somehow, more and more folks are wanting laptops, so I dont necessarily thing they are gonna start declining.

On a side note, she also got me a Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty edition sound card for under $100 dollars. :love:

D

Deleted member 24505

Dont forget gartner look into the future and not just now,in the future we'll have devices as big as a phone and more powerful than a good desktop,so i can kind of understand it.