• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Toshiba to Give Up on HD DVD

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
You mean like this?
More to thank Sony for.

It's amazing how people downplay the class action law suit on the very problem that prevent most knowledgeable people from buying br. If HD holds out until the class action matures this could actually turn the tides...big time. IMO, this is why so many people want this war to end sooner then later, the class action law suit was inevitable.

Processor i5-2500K @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Video Card(s) Radeon HD 7850 2GB
Storage 250GB Samsung EVO; 1TB WD Black
Display(s) 22" ASUS
Power Supply Rosewill Hive-650
Software Windows 8 64-bit
You mean like this?
More to thank Sony for.

I loled when I read that, i would be very pissed,( it also wont matter, they will either pay the people back, or release a firmware update) but anyway good to see the Blue Ray won, we dont need MS controling something else XD

spacejunky

Processor Core i7 920 O.C. to 3.2 GHz
Motherboard Asus P6T V2 Deluxe
Cooling air
Memory 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 295
Storage Velociraptor + 300GB Mirror
Display(s) Gateway 30" 1600P
Case Antec 900
Power Supply Antec 650 trio
Software Vista 64bit
No because they license the product out to other manufactures. If they didn't let other people use the technology then yes. I would expect Toshiba to begin production of Blu-Ray players. Toshiba has had then same grip hold on VHS and DVD for say um, the past 20 years? It's time to give let go.

Siverel: That's actually not true, and is a misconception. Companies are reporting record Blu-Ray sells and more and more revenue is being reported from companies everyday. Sony isn't going to rip people off, and that's what people are scared of. It just won't happen that way.

Words of wisdom? :roll:
Where do you get off speculating that Sony will be a nice company and not try to squeeze as much as they can from the consumer? You have no basis to what you say. Why do you even reply?

Look at Sony's track record. How much do you think they would charge for their game consoles if there were no x-box of Wii?

Processor i5-2500K @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Video Card(s) Radeon HD 7850 2GB
Storage 250GB Samsung EVO; 1TB WD Black
Display(s) 22" ASUS
Power Supply Rosewill Hive-650
Software Windows 8 64-bit
Look at Sony's track record. How much do you think they would charge for their game consoles if there were no x-box or Wii?

If the were no xbox or Wii the world would probely just blow up

warhammer

Processor Q6600@3.6
Motherboard Evga 680i
Cooling H20
Memory 2GB DDR2
Video Card(s) 8800GTS 512 SLI
Storage 4x320gig
Display(s) 21CRT
Case ARMOR
Audio Device(s) SB
Power Supply 750W
Software VISTA ULTIMATE
I have some DVD's about 300 original movies. I look at some of the Blue-ray movie titles which I own in DVD that cost me $7/$12 range and Blue ray $40.00+ AU with the same content I don’t think so.
Let’s look at it this one blue-ray disc cost $40.00au or 4 DVD @ $10.00each.
Also DVD and HD DVD (HD RIP) are cheaper to manufacture and faster.
Blue-ray is slower and more expensive to produce so will prices go up now that there’s no competition for them now..
Companies that manufacture good's, base their profit and cost on quantity per hour so how long does it take to produce 1xBlue-ray disk ????.
I will continue to buy DVD movies for now, Blue-ray movies let see if those prices start to come down.
And as far as SONY goes whatever they have had a monopoly on prices have always gone UP and UP never DOWN.

CarolinaKSU

System Name ANTC-1221
Processor Intel Core2 Quad - Q9550 2.8ghz
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-Deluxe
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-1283
Memory G.SKILL 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-1100 1.8v
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 280
Storage 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB in RAID0, WD Caviar 500GB
Display(s) Hanns-G HW223D 22"
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker connected to Logitech G15 5.1 Surround
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower W0116RU 750W
Software Vista Home Premium 64-bit
+1. That's what pisses me off so much about the whole situation. We the consumer are essentially being told what to buy. We don't have to buy, but the way they drive the market really gets under my skin.....:(

My thoughts exactly. We the consumer will end up losing. Not HD-DVD. The big-wigs that signed the exclusive deal with Universal and Paramount will still come out ahead even if HD-DVD dies. They made their money with that deal and while Im sure they would want to win the overall war, they will still ride off into the sunset with a boatload of cash.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
and sata BD rom drives just hit $300 here in au as well.

BD movies cost around $30 here too, once the players drop in price all shall be well.

thoughtdisorder

System Name Decent Lappy
My thoughts exactly. We the consumer will end up losing. Not HD-DVD. The big-wigs that signed the exclusive deal with Universal and Paramount will still come out ahead even if HD-DVD dies. They made their money with that deal and while Im sure they would want to win the overall war, they will still ride off into the sunset with a boatload of cash.

You are right on the money my friend! :toast:

Processor Core i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock Z87E-ITX
Cooling Stock
Memory 16GB Gskill 2133MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Storage 256GB Corsair M4, 240GB Samsung 840
Display(s) 27" 1440p Achevia Shimian
Case Fractal Node 304
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
Yeah it's over..... too bad HD-DVD is the looser though, those cheap players and all the sales on HD-DVDs would have been great if they kept up.... Blu-Ray has the 5 free videos with a player thing going, but I haven't seen as many sales.

I guess at least with one format chosen there isn't ambiguity, and Blu-Ray does hold more per disk in it's standard format.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
and sata BD rom drives just hit $300 here in au as well.

BD movies cost around $30 here too, once the players drop in price all shall be well.

Actually no it won't with all the confusion of BD 1.0, BD1.1 and BD2.0 and the pending class action it will be far from well. That's why I hope HD still sticks around until that's all sorted.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Spacejunky you're not worth talking to...You can't accept the fact that you may be wrong, even when it hits you in the face. No offense but you've never had anything useful to say in a conversation, it's just you trying to ignite some sort of flame war. Oh well, I guess that's the nature of a few.

Last edited:
System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
+1. That's what pisses me off so much about the whole situation. We the consumer are essentially being told what to buy. We don't have to buy, but the way they drive the market really gets under my skin.....:(

Nobody is telling you what to buy though. If you want a cheap solution, get a DVD upconverter. If you want a different solution, try iTunes. But the fact is, no one is telling you what to buy.

Even if it were that way, it would mean Toshiba has been telling you what to buy for the past 20 years.

Last edited:

-2kill-

Some people on here are acting as if blu-ray is the new oxygen, it's the simple fact of YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY BLU-RAY. It's like everything, all new technologies are more expensive at first it's like complaining that you can't have a new car at the cost of it depreciated by a year. Sony can't just jack up the price because, simply, people just won't buy blue-ray movies, It's much better economics to find the happy medium between price and point of sales. Sure they make more money per copy if they sell the movies for more but lowering the cost and getting a much larger % of clientele is much more effective.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Understandable and regrettable, yes...But don't they (Sony) run the risk of having a "monopoly" if they are the only ones with "blu-ray" and that happens to be the only high-def option?

no offense, but that is like saying Apple has a monopoly on OSX

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
You know what's funny. I invited a few friends over for some movies on BR and overall were not impressed enough to buy into HDM. Sure they liked the idea that the movie's picture quality seemed clearer then DVD. But after 3 movies they became accustom to how they looked and begin asking "what else is there". When I wasn't able to offer any other incentives they took it as a learning experience. Not a "I most buy one" experience. Why?
-they weren't willing to pay that much just to watch a movie
-they would simply come to my house to watch it (ironic...I know)
-there wasn't much difference when all they were interested in is the movie itself more then how it looked.

The last one is a big eye opener for me since I consider them the average joe. They aren't interested in HDM because of the eye candy but wanted to see a particular movie they liked. So, what does that mean? If they aren't interested in a particular movie, regardless if it's on DVD or HDM it's not going to sway them into buying BR if it's not of interest to them. Also, if all they want to do is just watch the movie...HDM offers very little incentive to go out and buy a $400 (thereabout) dvd player just to watch it.

Therefore ultimately, in the minds of how consumers think, they may in fact lose the war. Remember, HDM is still around 1% of the entire movie market on disc. Their hope is to eliminate competition for better brand recognition. However, they fail to realize that consumers are aware of them but just not interested. As with anything, time will tell how all of this turns out.

my friends came over and were blown away by "the patriot" on a 42 inch HDTV at 1080p pushing LPCM 7.1

yea, i may pay 30-40 bucks for a blu-ray movie but i get 100 times the picture quality out of it.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix

congratulations, you just figured out how the real world works.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Some people on here are acting as if blu-ray is the new oxygen, it's the simple fact of YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY BLU-RAY. It's like everything, all new technologies are more expensive at first it's like complaining that you can't have a new car at the cost of it depreciated by a year. Sony can't just jack up the price because, simply, people just won't buy blue-ray movies, It's much better economics to find the happy medium between price and point of sales. Sure they make more money per copy if they sell the movies for more but lowering the cost and getting a much larger % of clientele is much more effective.

you make far to much sense and therefore have no place on this thread :laugh:

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
my friends came over and were blown away by "the patriot" on a 42 inch HDTV at 1080p pushing LPCM 7.1

yea, i may pay 30-40 bucks for a blu-ray movie but i get 100 times the picture quality out of it.
I am not the only person who had such an experience with BR.

Embarrassment...
I had a small dinner party last night and decided to show off my projector and sound system after a few of the guests asked about it. I arbitrarily pulled out "Ghost Rider" on BD and played it via my PS3. Everyone was absolutely "wowed"- so far, so good.

Then a couple of guests asked about the difference between DVD and HDM (I have both). I spent a few of minutes talking about the sharpness, contrast, resolution, etc. and ended up voluteering to show the difference to them. Well, here's where it got tricky. I have the SD of Ghost Rider as well and put it in my Toshiba A3 for comparison. By this time only the guys were left with me and we opened a bottle of wine and started looking at both versions. Lo and behold, the difference was minimal at best to all in the room. Needless to say, questions followed like "How much for that PS3?" and "How much are the disks again?" My only saving grace was really the sound levels between the two. With GR outputting Linear PCM and the A3 doing DD on the SD side (Upconverted to 720P), everyone at least ooh'ed and ah'ed over the perceived sound difference.

My PJ is a 720P Panasonic AE900 on a 100" grey high contrast screen (1.85:1) and I use a Marantz SR-8001 to the projector all via HDMI. The projector is ISF calibrated.

Surely most of you have done the same test with friends! I am sure that something must be wrong as the A3 is good but is not rated that good, nor have I read that Ghost Rider is a demo quality SD disc.

Suggestions?

On a side note: the A3 is the quietest player I have ever connected. I have to crank the sound to about 10 units higher than the same disc on the PS3. Is that die to the PS3 converting everything to Linear PCM?
Source

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
If the were no xbox or Wii the world would probely just blow up

very true Snipe.

Where would this world be if you and I couldnt crash our warthogs into one another lol.:laugh::laugh:
I told yall that I thought a big announcement would be coming soon whether it be good or bad for HD DVD. And here it is folks. Im saddened yes by this turn of events. I still stand by my reasons for why I chose HD DVD over Blu Ray: Cheaper players, Dual playability (i.e. Not every single room is going to have n HD player nor will a car so its nice not to have to buy 2 copies of one movie as they are essentially with Blu Ray.), Toshiba and Microsoft supported it along with Intel and many other high profile companies, better features, more completed standards versus Blu Ray, etc. the list goes on and on.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
I'm sorry to hear Toshiba is throwing in the towel. Personally, i think they should make the strategic decision that they have lost the high-value high-price war. They should OPEN SOURCE the technology, format and firmware and give it to all the DVD manufacturers around the world, so we can have upscaling HD-DVD compatible DVD players for just a few dollars more.

Regular DVDs can then become dual layer (not double sided) with a regular DVD on layer 1 and HDDVD on layer 2. Simple enough for 80% of the population that dont get technology-hard-ons.

ON THE FLIP SIDE.

I'm a SONY shareholder, and I'm delighted we've won the format war and now control, and can extract fat royalties and margins from, the hi-def movie industry. Whoopie. It's also a DOUBLE WHAMMY WIN... because most people will by a PS3 for their BR-player... and that means more PS3 sales... and that it also becomes the console of choice. RIP Toshiba, RIP Xbox.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I'm sorry to hear Toshiba is throwing in the towel. Personally, i think they should make the strategic decision that they have lost the high-value high-price war. They should OPEN SOURCE the technology, format and firmware and give it to all the DVD manufacturers around the world, so we can have upscaling HD-DVD compatible DVD players for just a few dollars more.

Regular DVDs can then become dual layer (not double sided) with a regular DVD on layer 1 and HDDVD on layer 2. Simple enough for 80% of the population that dont get technology-hard-ons.

ON THE FLIP SIDE.

I'm a SONY shareholder, and I'm delighted we've won the format war and now control, and can extract fat royalties and margins from, the hi-def movie industry. Whoopie. It's also a DOUBLE WHAMMY WIN... because most people will by a PS3 for their BR-player... and that means more PS3 sales... and that it also becomes the console of choice. RIP Toshiba, RIP Xbox.

on here, its more likely we get them for PC ;)

sata BD-RW ftw! (just get cheaper already damnit!)

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
If your not happy with blue ray then just stick with dvd bearing in mind it has lower res and is now old technology.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Actually, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on Blu-Ray is exactly a justification for the premium over DVD (if then its only like $5 bucks at Wally World). That right there made me glad I own a PS3 and HD LCD TV.