• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD Cable TV on HTPC... any solutions?

System Name n.audBl
Processor E8500 @ 3.80GHz
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme
Cooling Full liquid (everything except power supply)
Memory 4Gb OCZ DDR2 PC9600
Video Card(s) Dual EVGA GTX 280 SSC Edition
Storage Dual WD Raptor in RAID 0 (300Gb), Dual WD 1Tb Cavair in RAID 1
Display(s) Dell 2407 24" HD+ Widescreen
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Fata1ty (bleh!)
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000W
Software Win 7 64bit
I've been digging and digging but I can't seem to find simple answers on how to get Comcast HD on a HTPC without having to fart with a cable box.

Are there any solutions? It looked like cable cards were trying to break through the ice a year or so ago but there doesn't seem to be much current information on them available.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
hey, I used Kworld QAM cabaple Hybrid HD Tuner card. It does most unencrypted ones. But I am too searching for one that can get premium channels without cable box.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
The situation with CableCards has been kind of a joke since day one. Comcast and the other cable monopolies are a joke also, but I'm sure you know this. Check out the section "Issues with CableCARDs" on the CableCard Wikipedia Page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CableCARD

cincybengal

Processor Intel E8400
Motherboard ASUS P5k
Cooling Ninja Plus Rev. B
Memory Corsair 4gb
Video Card(s) evga 8800GT
Storage WD 400gb
Display(s) 22"
Case NZXT Blackline
Software Vista 64-bit
I went through this ordeal myself and wasn't very satisfied with the results. The only way to view encrypted hdtv signals is through a cable card or hd box on a certified CableLabs pc, such as one purchased by Dell or HP. If you build your own pc, you can only view OTA signals in HD. I currently have an hd cable box connected to my Hauppage 1800 series tuner and it downgrades the hd signal to sd. However, I view the local networks in hd with a cheap antenna that came with tuner.

Some cable companies supposedly do not encrypt some of their hd channels, but the problem on all the tv cards I've seen is they all have coax or s-video in. Coax works fine for OTA hd, but cable boxes don't output hd on coax, they use composite, dvi, or hdmi for hd.

I got really pissed about this whole thing because after upgrading my entire network to wireless-n(with mixed results, I ended up running gigabit wire to my xbox3600), and buying a tv card, I could only watch local hd channels, what a joke. However, I did get rid of the dvr box on my plasma in the family room by streaming to xbox360.

Comcast may be different from Time Warner, but these cable companies seem to just want to control their entire signal to squeeze as much money out of the consumer as possible.

System Name n.audBl
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Software Win 7 64bit
I'm assuming the biggest hangup to all of this is that copyrightophytes don't want us to be able to stream high def movies through our HTPCs cause heaven forbid that some people out there will record those movies, burn em on a disk, and sell them illegally on the street... or p2p them.

So basically they are going to hold back a potentially billion dollar HTPC industry in order to frustrate the potential piracy problems.

logic=flawed

System Name n.audBl
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Software Win 7 64bit

cincybengal

Processor Intel E8400
Motherboard ASUS P5k
Memory Corsair 4gb
Storage WD 400gb
Display(s) 22"
Case NZXT Blackline
Software Vista 64-bit
That might work, but how much are you going to spend to save $10 a month on a dvr? That looks more like a video editing tool than a tv card, which it doesn't appear to be; it may be though.

The whole thing is a total racket by the cable companies. Why not let customers by tv cards with cable-card slots? Simple. Time Warner, for instance, rents cable cards for $1 per month. A dvr costs rents for $18-20 total per month. It's all about money. They can't really be worried about copyright stuff because you can record ota hd from the major networks. What's the difference, copyright-wise, in recording American Idol or Animal Planet? None I can think of.

I wouldn't mind not having access to on-demand programming on a cable-card to prohibit copying of movies, for instance. Rent a version with or without on-demand, or block on-demand from copying. I would love a simple solution to store recorded shows on my pc, though, simply for the extra storace space.

System Name n.audBl
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Software Win 7 64bit
Well, in comparison to a DVR a HTPC owns, hands down. The build I have in mind would have a 300Gb RAID 1 array for OS and programs and at least 2Tb RAID 0+1 array for media storage.

I would be more than willing to lose On-Demand and Pay-Per-View options if I could just let Windows Media Center run the cable and guide functions without a cable box.

Hell... charge me extra for an unscrambled signal if it's about money... I don't see people typically dropping the cash needed to buy or build a HTPC in order to save a few bucks each month on their cable bill. No, your average HTPC fanatic just wants the features of cable on a computer more than he wants to save $10 a month.

cincybengal

Processor Intel E8400
Motherboard ASUS P5k
Memory Corsair 4gb
Storage WD 400gb
Display(s) 22"
Case NZXT Blackline
Software Vista 64-bit
I was thoroughly disapointed with the whole cable situation. I've got 2 xbox360's I wanted to stream to, do away with dvr boxes, and have essentially unlimited storage capacity. Maybe one day the cable companies will wise up and open things up for their customers.