• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

By June: What kind of HDDs?

paulrules

OK well, I've had this thought debating through my head for quite a while.

http://www.techpowerup.com/55747/Toshiba_Begins_Mass_Production_of_MLC_Nand_Solid_State_Drives.html

Before I read this, I planned to just pop in a 500GB 7200RPM drive into my computer and load all my junk on that.

But after reading it, everything changed. By June, will the SSD's be now a little more mainstream?

I'm wondering if the SSD's (By June 2008) will be priced under $200 (The 128GB kind) for use in the average (Or Gaming-Average) computer.

Thanks in advanced,
~paulrules

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
At this point in time, the SSDs are simply not worth the cost.
Your plan of adding the 500GB drive is a good one. If the costs do come down on SSDs in the future, you can get the SSD and you will still have a 500GB backup drive.

Just my 2 cents.

paulrules

At this point in time, the SSDs are simply not worth the cost.
Your plan of adding the 500GB drive is a good one. If the costs do come down on SSDs in the future, you can get the SSD and you will still have a 500GB backup drive.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I get at this point in time that SSD's are not exactly the most viable option. I'm just wondering that because Toshiba has started mass production, it'd be logical to deduct that the price of them will go down in the near future (Such as in the next 3 months).

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
If I had to guess... $200 - yes, but not for 128GB models, probably 32GB.

Now it might change as there are 14 or 15 different companies with plans to release flash based SSD's. Only 3 or 4 of them are actually shipping drives right now so competition is low and prices are high. We just need them all to start dumping drives into the market.

paulrules

If I had to guess... $200 - yes, but not for 128GB models, probably 32GB.

Now it might change as there are 14 or 15 different companies with plans to release flash based SSD's. Only 3 or 4 of them are actually shipping drives right now so competition is low and prices are high. We just need them all to start dumping drives into the market.

OK, thanks Jizzler. I'll just get a 500GB drive for now and maybe buy an SSD for Christmas.:)

Tau

SSD's will not be much cheaper than they are now by june, expect maybe a 10% price cut before than (if that) assuming Toshiba can keep up the production numbers that they are banging out right now.

I have been hearing rumors that Seagate is working on some other form of data compression/recording type on their platters, as they reached pretty much the maximum with 500GB drives... though i am not 100% on my sources at this time, it might be something to keep an eye on.