• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Official Response on GIGABYTE Faulty Claims

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
ASUS today issued a statement in regard to the GIGABYTE claims posted here.
It has come to our attention that a certain Taiwanese Motherboard Manufacturer has made false claims against ASUS motherboards. These claims have given rise to false information being communicated in both the mainstream media and technology channels. ASUS wishes to clarify the issues and so avoid any further confusion. After investigation, it is clear that this company in question made use of a sponsored gathering of local and international media to deliberately spread information that we consider both untrue and without credible verification. This "disinformation" is not only extremely damaging to ASUS but also completely misleading to the consumers.

ASUS reserves the right to take legal action against any individual, organization or corporation which creates or spreads such rumors.

Exclusive Feature 1: The world's first energy saving motherboards now feature new generation EPU for ultimate energy savings and performance
ASUS, in September 2007, released the world's first EPU energy saving motherboard. Now, the P5Q series utilizes the newest version of the EPU hardware based energy saving chip, which can detect current PC loadings in real time and automatically moderate the power supply for complete system level power savings.

Exclusive Feature 2: World's first true 16-phase power design for ultimate durability and lowest power consumption
In order to achieve the best possible performance and energy savings, the ASUS P5Q series' VRM voltage regulation module utilizes the ASUS exclusively designed true 16-phase power design; which features intelligent auto phase switching technology - when the CPU load increases, 16-phases are utilized, and during low CPU processing periods, it switches automatically to a responsive 4-phase system to power the CPU. This allows the ASUS P5Q to draw less power, thereby raising power efficiency and prolonging component lifespans for longer durability.

Exclusive Feature 3: All Japan-made conductive capacitors for low temperatures, stability and longer lifetimes
The ASUS P5Q utilizes 100% Japan-made conductive polymer capacitors for the whole motherboard, providing world-class stability, low temperatures, and reduces the risk of high voltages to the CPU - providing various ways to prolong component life-spans.

Exclusive Feature 4: 5 Seconds* from bootup to online with Express Gate
Many times, the PC is only switched on to access email, surf the Internet or chat with friends through instant messaging programs - so why waste precious minutes of your time just waiting for boot-up? In order to make PCs more accessible to people, ASUS has designed the exclusive Express Gate for rapid online access after bootup. In just 5 seconds, users will be able to enjoy Internet access, Skype calls, popular Instant Messengers (IM) like MSN or Yahoo Messenger, watch YouTube videos, view photos and check their emails - all without waiting to load Windows!

Exclusive Feature 5: 360° total protection for safety and data Security
The ASUS P5Q series utilizes 4 exclusive "Total Safety Features" to provide full 360° personal computing protection to cater to the safety of consumers and data security.

In regards to motherboard safety, ASUS has designed the Electrostatic Discharge Protection (ESD) and Overcurrent Protection features. The human body can build up electric static charges as high as a few kilovolts. When contact is made to electronic devices through the fingers, this charge can cause electrical damage to internal components. ASUS' ESD Protection provides static electricity protection that surpasses the EU's strict standards, especially for commonly used USB ports.

An overcurrent is a current that exceeds the amperage rating of the external device (flash memory, hard disks etc) or circuits (e.g. ICs). If an external device with a fauty circuit is connected to a PC, an overcurrent might occur and seriously damage components or the external device. ASUS' Overcurrent Protection automatically detects such overcurrents, and acts to protect your external devices and other motherboard components.

Users usually store photos and music in their hard disks. Due to complex backup solutions and the long time taken for backups, users seldom find it easy to perform backups - even when using traditional RAID options. ASUS' Drive Xpert makes it easy to perform data backups through a user-friendly graphical user interface, or enhance hard drive performances without the hassles of complicated configurations.

ASUS' Data Guardian provides a secure and protected working environment for users - and secures the user's personal data via TPM to create a virtual folder protected by an encryption key, and then stored on a USB portable drive. With Data Guardian, users will never worry about unauthorized usage, hackers and stolen hard disk drives ever again.

The ASUS P5Q series of motherboards has broken through a new level of computing -now motherboards can be safer, more efficient, more stable, more durable and provide system level power savings to help protect and save the earth!

* subject to user's hardware and software configuration

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Case Silverstone Fortress FT02B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
Software win 7 ultimate 64bit
heh, now tell me who is lying?

Exavier

Processor Q6600 G0 Stepping @3.4
Motherboard DFI LanParty DK P45 T2RS-PLUS
Cooling Fitseries3 Edition Fuzion v1, XSPC Razor X2, XSPC RS320, Hydor L30
Memory Crucial Ballistix @972mhz CL5
Video Card(s) Sapphire 4870X2 2GB
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB x2 (I need another OS drive LOL)
Display(s) Sony Bravia 40L4000 40" HDTV :D
Case Silverstone TJ07 (Mod is a WIP)
Power Supply Corsair HX620w
Software Windows Vista
It's like Asus are slamming Gigabyte just by calling them "a certain Taiwanese Motherboard Manufacturer"
feel the burn, haha
I don't think there's anything wrong with Asus at all, their new P45 lineup looks pretty nice tbh, as does the Formula series in X38/48..

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
All that sounds like when i ask someone the time and they give me a history lesson.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
huh . . . ASUS is only talking about the P5Q series, although the high-end P5E series have EPU as well . . .

hmmm . . . I wonder why ASUS is only going on about it's new series . . . :wtf:

Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Software MCE2K5
huh . . . ASUS is only talking about the P5Q series, although the high-end P5E series have EPU as well . . .

hmmm . . . I wonder why ASUS is only going on about it's new series . . . :wtf:

exactly .. smoke and mirrors ... boo for ASSUS

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
Funny how their entire "response" just looks like a press release for a new product. Doesn't seem to be anything at all in here besides the quote. Whenever they would like to actually explain something, I'm sure we'll all be waiting.:laugh:

It's like Marketing is answering the Customer Service lines or something. :slap:
I don't want you to try and sell me the board again, just throw down some facts as to how Gigabyte is wrong.:shadedshu

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I like how ASUS did their anouncement with some class, and Gigabyte just came out and called them liars. I wouldn't buy a Gigabyte board anyway, but after their little childish stunt, I definitely don't want to give them any business.

It is one thing to talk about the compeition and present information in a classy method, it is another to just call them liars and attack them. Gigabyte's media stunt just backfired on them because it lost them respect from me, and I'm sure many others, and ASUS's response gained them more respect from me. Gigabyte's oriignal attack sounds like a fanboy postings on a forum.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
Was waiting for that one.... Wonder if we will see a slander suit.

Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Software MCE2K5
I like how ASUS did their anouncement with some class, and Gigabyte just came out and called them liars. I wouldn't buy a Gigabyte board anyway, but after their little childish stunt, I definitely don't want to give them any business.

It is one thing to talk about the compeition and present information in a classy method, it is another to just call them liars and attack them. Gigabyte's media stunt just backfired on them because it lost them respect from me, and I'm sure many others, and ASUS's response gained them more respect from me. Gigabyte's oriignal attack sounds like a fanboy postings on a forum.

Classy, that asus release is classy yes but classy what? It does not address the problem.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Mouse Logitech G502x
Classy, that asus release is classy yes but classy what? It does not address the problem.

Ya, thats exactly the problem... Although I do love the way they didn't directly quote that it was Gigabytes claims.

Malware --- your "Here" link is broken :)

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Was waiting for that one.... Wonder if we will see a slander suit.

yeah, but the funny thing about it, though - from the articles I posted in the EPU vx DES thread, ASUS started this whole mess by calling GIGA as being liars and full of crap - they just did it under the table and quietly. GIGA responded publicly about it, and quite poorly at that, and now ASUS is acting all reserved and professional.

Both companies have stuck their foot in their mouth, IMO.

Other motherboard manufacturers need to hurry up with their high-end competition so that ASUS and GIGA can get back to work instead of acting childish and trying to prove the other is full of shit.

OnionMan

System Name Constant Upgrade
Processor E8400 @ 4.1Ghz
Motherboard MSI P35 Platinum Combo
Cooling WaterCooled- Dtek fusion
Memory 8Gb Ballistix-800Mhz @1060
Video Card(s) HD4850 750/1150
Storage WD 320Gb SATA
Display(s) 22" Acer LCD
Case Toast
Power Supply Zalman 600W
Software Vista x64 and 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 14300 under Vista

I couldn't disagree more...:D

Asus gave a response that seems to be right from the side of the box.. WooHoo.. They haven't provided anything but words to back up their claims, where as Gigabyte (via Tom's Hardware) provided photos and a bit more tech. information..

I doubt a company as big as Gigabyte would just make something up like this to push sales in their direction.. There is too big of a risk of backfire for them if it's just an unsubstanciated claim.. Then the accused company does nothing to provide proof that things work.. Not to mention, Asus referenced a model that wasn't mentioned in the Tom's Hardware report.. Hmmmm

If Asus wanted to clear things up, they should have provided better information then what they did..

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
yeah, but the funny thing about it, though - from the articles I posted in the EPU vx DES thread, ASUS started this whole mess by calling GIGA as being liars and full of crap - they just did it under the table and quietly. GIGA responded publicly about it, and quite poorly at that, and now ASUS is acting all reserved and professional.

Both companies have stuck their foot in their mouth, IMO.

Other motherboard manufacturers need to hurry up with their high-end competition so that ASUS and GIGA can get back to work instead of acting childish and trying to prove the other is full of shit.

I can agree with that, but at the same time nobody is going to catch them in the high end... DFI and a few other companies make nice boards no doubt, but they cannot touch the top tiers of Asus and Gigabyte.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

BigBruser13

System Name V64PC
Processor Q9550
Motherboard Rampage Extreme
Cooling water
Memory 2x2gb XP3 mushkin
Video Card(s) Ati 4870 x2
Storage 2x 150gb raptor
Display(s) acer 1920x1200
Case cooler master 830
Audio Device(s) n/a
Power Supply x3 ultra
Software Vista x64 ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3dmark 06 19899
asus response to giga

Where is the response Asus, and it's obvious that Asus has been found out, Giga could have used more tact but I'd rather they get to the point in plain English. Thank you Giga!

Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Software MCE2K5

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3

I have to agree with that statement. They are not responding to the accusations by Gigabyte, that makes me wonder if there is some truth to what Gigabyte said about Asus EPU.

Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Software MCE2K5
Where is the response Asus, and it's obvious that Asus has been found out, Giga could have used more tact but I'd rather they get to the point in plain English. Thank you Giga!

Exactly, how many ppl actually understand technical jargon, you have ppl who think an ati 9800 is faster than a Nvidia 9600GT

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
I doubt a company as big as Gigabyte would just make something up like this to push sales in their direction.. There is too big of a risk of backfire for them if it's just an unsubstanciated claim.. Then the accused company does nothing to provide proof that things work.. Not to mention, Asus referenced a model that wasn't mentioned in the Tom's Hardware report.. Hmmmm

Actually slander in business is not unrare at all, you can easily sway people standing on a center line with a statement or even a direct lie. It happens a lot more than most people think, directly and indirectly. So no they would have very good reason to do it, a lot of times its even true just exploded to make sound much worse than it is.

It's all business, and business is cut throat.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Software MCE2K5
ECS makes decent mid line stuff, nothing high end..

I did it for the lols.

Thread was getting abit high on tensions.

ABIT

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
I have to agree with that statement. They are not responding to the accusations by Gigabyte, that makes me wonder if there is some truth to what Gigabyte said about Asus EPU.

the sad part about it, is that everyone already knew (well, review sites and those who've read up on it) how EPU worked before GIGA made their claim . . . which, in my eyes just made them appear childish and full of crap . . . until I stumbled upon these articles:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5490&Itemid=37
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6482&Itemid=37

and that seems to be were this bitching match got started:

Furthermore, Asus ridiculed Gigabyte's DES for using software, but it seems like Asus has some software of their own that you need to use to achieve this magical 96 percent power saving, called AI Gear3+. Otherwise, you won't see the full benefit of the EPU from what we gather from the press release.

like I mentioned, ASUS started this mess quietly, GIGA responded openly about it, although somewhat poorly and also made some wild accusations as well. As it stands, both companies have been caught with their pants round their ankles.

OnionMan

System Name Constant Upgrade
Processor E8400 @ 4.1Ghz
Motherboard MSI P35 Platinum Combo
Cooling WaterCooled- Dtek fusion
Memory 8Gb Ballistix-800Mhz @1060
Video Card(s) HD4850 750/1150
Storage WD 320Gb SATA
Display(s) 22" Acer LCD
Case Toast
Power Supply Zalman 600W
Software Vista x64 and 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 14300 under Vista
a lot of times its even true just exploded to make sound much worse than it is.

It's all business, and business is cut throat.

That I do agree with.. Exploded.. How much of a difference does this really make to the end user? How many of us really care? Sure energy savings is great, but how often do those 'first of its kind' actually work well.. It's usually the second or third gen. that works the best.. IDK, I'm just of the opinion that Asus is not being 100% honest with us, even if it was wrong for Gigabyte to make these claims.. This might be a different story if an unrelated third party (like TPU or Tom's) made this claim ALONE..

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
That I do agree with.. Exploded.. How much of a difference does this really make to the end user? How many of us really care? Sure energy savings is great, but how often do those 'first of its kind' actually work well.. It's usually the second or third gen. that works the best.. IDK, I'm just of the opinion that Asus is not being 100% honest with us, even if it was wrong for Gigabyte to make these claims.. This might be a different story if an unrelated third party (like TPU or Tom's) made this claim ALONE..

Although many of us may not care, some big time "green company" may choose to buy gigabyte boards instead, which could lead to people that work there or on those systems to buy them and recomend them etc.. It all starts somewhere, more people will buy what their friends tell them is good than any advertisement these days.