• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Technology Analyst: Get Over Vista Hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
And to ppl that installed Vista and hated it because it seemed slow - disable indexing and Windows Search. Also, it speeds up after a couple days of use.

i agree. when i first installed vista i did not like it. the interface felt awkward and it was pretty slow to respond to commands. but after a couple of days it speeded up. and yes, disable indexing and windows search also helps. the speedboost thing is supposed to help in some cases but i didnt recognize a difference.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Oh, wow, atleast you admit it. I wonder how many of the vista haters have actually used vista them selves?

Ive used it for over a week.

Processor Intel i5 12600KF
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4, Socket 1700
Cooling MSI Ventus AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB, DDR4, 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI VentusRTX 3060 12Gb
Storage XPS 1TB | 2x Kingston 2TB Sata | Sinology 4TB (Raid1) |
Display(s) 24" Dell U2417H
Case Msi Mpg Odin
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC887 + Microlab Solo 6C
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-750, 80
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Razer
Software Windows 10 x64
i agree. when i first installed vista i did not like it. the interface felt awkward and it was pretty slow to respond to commands. but after a couple of days it speeded up. and yes, disable indexing and windows search also helps. the speedboost thing is supposed to help in some cases but i didnt recognize a difference.

Well I disable indexing on XP too :p It's a waste of resources for most

Also remove the hibernation function, turn off sys restore on all but the windows partition, uninstall the msn explorer, windows messenger, defrag my meta files/MFT/pagefile, etc

Rebo&Zooty

Vista is fairly nice. once the bugs are out should be a pretty nice OS. I remember having those XP issue's. People need to stop saying XP suck Vista sucks as it's just so dam annoying.

Everyone's need are different along with expectations. I like Vista more than i did when beta's were out so it's getting there. Would i replace it with Vista cannot see that happening at this time.

but they both really do suck, just one sucks more then the other currently.

What did Windows XP have that Windows 2000 didn't? Uses far less system resources than Windows XP does too.

Who uses Windows Media Center? Wouldn't it be a good idea to use the software that comes with your TV card? Hmmmmm... :rolleyes:

xp had LUNA and system restore, thats about it, and luna as i said in the xp beta days makes me think "fisher price: my first pc" every time i see it.

and alot of cards today that come out "vista ready" pretty much FORCE you to use vista's bult in media center because it saves the card maker $ they would spent bundling a vista compatable 3rd party app(many times the xp version dosnt work on vista or only works 1/2 way) so yeah IF the card came with good VISTA COMPATABLE software thats one thing, but also why should you have to use or buy 3rd party software when one of the selling points for vista is that its got mediacenter built in?

thats like expecting people to HAVE to install opera or firefox for web browsing because ie refuses to load some webpages thanks to an illegal tag the page maker added.

or expecting the user to install 3rd party media player because wmp refuses to play videos because they are 720p/1080p and your videocard or its drivers are not certifyed by the mpaa for HD content(vista can do this.....wait and see they will endup forcing u to crack vista to fix it....and it effects 3rd party vista software not just wmp) and that 720p/1080p content could be HOME VIDEOS if somebody got a nice shieny new hd camcorder...........

my point is, why should the user have to hack their own system to get fetures that are advertised as selling points of the os? if its got media center built in, then media center should work and follow the LAWS OF THE COUNRY ITS BEING USED IN!!!!

you cans compare an office OS to a home user OS, a fairer comparison would be windows 98 to windows millennium as both were made for one market sector, Windows Xp to Vista is an Upgrade comparable to Windows 98se to Windows Millennium.

acctualy by the time XP came out ms had been "marketing" 2k as a home user alternitive for a while, mostly because ME was such a peice of shit and they had to do something.

xp is just 2k with alot of extra bloat piled on top, if you cant find 2k drivers for something, xp drivers work, if you cant find xp drivers for something 2k drivers work, just as 2003 uses xp or 2k drivers, same driver model and to me thats a good thing in my book, it means that i dont gotta feel like im having my nutz slamed in a cardoor every time i try and use some peice of hardware i have had around a couple years(vista dont like ALOT of hardware and dosnt have even generic drivers to support text printing on LTP printers.....every os pre vista has that even windows 3.0......... i know one buisness neer here had to have xp put back on their POS(point of sale) system because vista wouldnt work with their dot matrix printer, they used a generic epson driver from xp to set it up, its used with recepts that pring both a main recept and a carbon copy at same time, its sort of REQUIERED that it work, and a new dot matrix printer thats vista compatable, you wont belive the price, around $3000.00(yes 3k us dollers for an old ass dot matrix printer design thats got vista support)

blah, what a crock.........see why buisnesses dont want to move to vista? alot of them dont wana have to rebuy their hardware just because vista dosnt come with proper support for stuff they have.

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
System Name Hells Core.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair hero viii (wifi) x570
Cooling AlphaCool Aurora 420mm
Memory Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 4133MHz 32GB Kit
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 3070
Storage Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Thermaltake Core X71
Power Supply Corsair RM850 80 plus gold
Software Windows 10
Im not buying it sounds like a pathetic plea for people to buy more until im happy with vista i wont instal it.
the move for alot of people means slower systems and more ram usage who in there right mind would welcome that?

why cant they carry on support for both systems? its what the public wants.

Last edited:
System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
Im not buying it sounds like a pathetic plea for people to buy more until im happy with vista i wont instal it.
the move for alot of people means slower systems and more ram usage who in there right mind would welcome that?

why cant they carry on support for both systems? its what the public wants.

For the same reason they don't continue support for the xbox, the ps1, n64, 1993 Chevy Silverado (model just came to mind), ect. They want your money, make no mistake. Welcome to the free market. And pushing technology forward is the norm for the pc market, and mostly, its a good thing it is. Enjoy the progress, be glad your not still playing original xbox quality games b/c users complained they had to upgrade to a new system to play the new stuff.....:shadedshu

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
For the same reason they don't continue support for the xbox, the ps1, n64, 1993 Chevy Silverado (model just came to mind), ect. They want your money, make no mistake. Welcome to the free market.

yes, they want your money. but they also don't have the resources to continue to innovate AND continue to support the older technologies.

Megasty

Processor i7 920 @ 3.6 GHz (4.0 when gaming)
Motherboard Asus Rampage II Extreme - Yeah I Bought It...
Cooling Swiftech.
Memory 12 GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer - I Love Red
Video Card(s) ASUS EAH4870X2 - That Fan Is...!?
Storage 4 WD 1.5 TB
Display(s) 24" Sceptre
Case TT Xaser VI - Fugly, Red, & Huge...
Audio Device(s) The ASUS Thingy
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000W
Software Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit
yes, they want your money. but they also don't have the resources to continue to innovate AND continue to support the older technologies.

Exactly, it would take away from the progression of the newer tech as well. So its a 2-way street. I would rather see the new tech being improved instead of a dying horse being kept on life support.

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
Exactly, it would take away from the progression of the newer tech as well. So its a 2-way street. I would rather see the new tech being improved instead of a dying horse being kept on life support.

Me too, me too.

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1

I coudnt of put it better myself xps had a great run just let it go gracefully.

System Name _Speedforce_ (Successor to Strike-X, 4LI3NBR33D-H, Core-iH7 & Nemesis-H)
Processor Intel Core i9 7980XE (Lapped) @ 5.2Ghz With XSPC Raystorm (Lapped)
Motherboard Asus Rampage VI Extreme (XSPC Watercooled) - Custom Heatsinks (Lapped)
Cooling XSPC Custom Water Cooling + Custom Air Cooling (From Delta 220's TFB1212GHE to Spal 30101504&5)
Memory 8x 8Gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz @ 4667Mhz (2x F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) 3x Asus GTX1080 Ti (Lapped) With Customised EK Waterblock (Lapped) + Custom heatsinks (Lapped)
Storage 1x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB - 2280 (Hyper M.2 x16 Card), 7x Samsung 860 Pro 4Tb
Display(s) 6x Asus ROG Swift PG348Q
Case Aerocool Strike X (Modified)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 & Aurvana XFi Headphones
Power Supply 2x Corsair AX1500i With Custom Sheilding, Custom Switching Unit. Braided Cables.
Mouse Razer Copperhead + R.A.T 9
Keyboard Ideazon Zboard + Optimus Maximus. Logitech G13.
Software w10 Pro x64.
Benchmark Scores pppft, gotta see it to believe it. . .
XP needs a major overhaul. Too many features to mention that should be implemented, all user selected ofcourse! A new operating system altogether was bound to happen, and i honostly believed the greater majority anxiously awaited its arrival.

The end result is that a ' dying horse ' is still outrunning the ' maturing hourse '. End users reserve the right to hold onto that which is working more stable, more secure & more efficient for aslong as it takes for Microsoft to get their act together.

I was on the phone to MS the other day, to validate my XP operating system after a hardware change. I inquired about a new operating system and was told that a new one would be out soon!
Like Windows ME came out after 98se, it couldnt compare to the older operating system. Windows ME was the most pathetic resource hungry failure that was quickly replaced.

When i look at Vista, all i see is XP with half the resources being used for no reason and a really crappy theme. Gadgets that need to be removed, annoying messages, no user friendliness, and a pathetic media centre that is better replaced by 3rd party software. Hardware & Software incompatibility, poor counterfeit protocols and so on. Actually, Vista only has ONE good thing about it, Direct X10, which is bullshit anyways. ( okais its not bullshit, because you can really see extra particles and the flames really move! )

MS really screwed up again, its a habit, maybe traditional, who cares. Like we should drop XP, they should drop Vista. They both suck for the era we are in.

Im all for progress, so i say, NEXT!

Rebo&Zooty

not true, ms has 2-3 programing teams working on windows at a time, one working on patching older windows, 1 working on current windows, and one working on the next windows, now many times there are multi teams on each project, but its easyer to explain it as old-current-new then to explain that ms also has teams on IE patches and the new version of IE, Media Player, messenger apps, it goes on and on.

It dosnt harm the current windows for ms to give proper support to older versions, infact many times the security patches need done for both newer and older versions since ms is horrible about not fixing shit when its reported only when it becomes a problem(see the blaster and lovesan worms)

really ms has plenty of resorces to develop 4+ versions of windows at the same time, the problem is that they spend to much time on shit like areo insted of acctual innovation and improoving the core os.....

im hoping strongly that with windows7 this changes, because if it dosnt, i see mac gaining alot of users, as well as linux/bsd and other alt os's, vista has already driven alot of people to noobuntu,linspire and xandros, its only gonna get worse if they keep headed in that same dirrection........

guess this is good news for the opensauce community, they are gaining users and market share due to ms's pusing out os's that many users dont want, and forcing them to buy xp again if they want to stick xp on the system insted of vista.........many ppl see 140-150 for OEM xp, and think "humm maby its time to try something new, i keep reading about noobuntu and linspire"

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
not true, ms has 2-3 programing teams working on windows at a time, one working on patching older windows, 1 working on current windows, and one working on the next windows, now many times there are multi teams on each project, but its easyer to explain it as old-current-new then to explain that ms also has teams on IE patches and the new version of IE, Media Player, messenger apps, it goes on and on.

It dosnt harm the current windows for ms to give proper support to older versions, infact many times the security patches need done for both newer and older versions since ms is horrible about not fixing shit when its reported only when it becomes a problem(see the blaster and lovesan worms)

really ms has plenty of resorces to develop 4+ versions of windows at the same time, the problem is that they spend to much time on shit like areo insted of acctual innovation and improoving the core os.....

im hoping strongly that with windows7 this changes, because if it dosnt, i see mac gaining alot of users, as well as linux/bsd and other alt os's, vista has already driven alot of people to noobuntu,linspire and xandros, its only gonna get worse if they keep headed in that same dirrection........

guess this is good news for the opensauce community, they are gaining users and market share due to ms's pusing out os's that many users dont want, and forcing them to buy xp again if they want to stick xp on the system insted of vista.........many ppl see 140-150 for OEM xp, and think "humm maby its time to try something new, i keep reading about noobuntu and linspire"

maybe in a perfect world. but the truth is money does not grow on trees. microsoft has shareholders to satisfy, therefore they dont have the resources to continue support on older technologies. they must innovate! that means they have to pull resources from older technology to new ones. it is basic business.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Yeah, innovation. Making and selling a tire tube with a thousand cuts, selling patches, if patches don't work, promise people the next tube they make is better, force them to buy the next tube, but turns out still has cuts, people are forced to live on with it. Reason being there is no compelling alternative to Windows, the way Phenom 9850 is to Q6600. So in a way we're slave to Microsoft, we have to pay for their software just as we pay taxes.

Rebo&Zooty

maybe in a perfect world. but the truth is money does not grow on trees. microsoft has shareholders to satisfy, therefore they dont have the resources to continue support on older technologies. they must innovate! that means they have to pull resources from older technology to new ones. it is basic business.

but ms CANT do that, they would and will be sued if they fail to support xp, they can EOL sales, but buisness relys on extended support(support after sales end) check how long 2k or nt4 where supported after they where outmoded.

fact is ms HAS to support their older os's, if they dont large businesses that rely on that support will sue, then they will leave ms for unix/linux or mac, thats basic business, if you piss off your customer base, you dont have a customer base.

ms has more then enought $ to support xp+vista+develop windows 7, yes in the short term it will cost them $ but in the long run it makes them $, and i dont see ms as being quite so short sited as to shoot themselved in the nuts with a shotgun by dumping xp support.

there are alot of businesses that CANT move to vista, they use apps that WILL NOT WORK ON VISTA or hardware that WILL NOT WORK ON VISTA, many of those apps are custom apps that do not have upgraded versions OR if they have upgraded versions they arent compatable with backups/saves from older versions(more common then you would think, mostly done when a company also wants to sell their services converting a database for those who upgrade)

if they dumped xp support, those clients would use xp till they couldnt use it anymore, as they looked for alternitives.

for example a local money management company around here recently started the move to linux, they are using WINE to run their old account management software, vista WOULDNT run it, and the company that made the softwares been out of buisness for years, it would cost alot to replace a system thats still plenty powerfull for what they do, so insted they asked some experts what they could do, a few options like keep xp and buy more licences and install it on the new systems you buy then pay for extended support after the support period from ms has officialy ended came up, BUT one of them said, why not try running your program in wine, it worked, a little tweaking and it worked flawless, now they have a custom build that they are slowly replacing windows with, its based on slackware's latist build, has all the apps they need built into the disk, oh yeah, and it will run smooth as silk on their current systems, so no need to upgrade old boxes.

oh and yes vmware/virtual pc was considered, but the cost of vmware was restrictive and virtual pc wasnt reliable with it, cant remmber then name of the program they use, but it was made for them spicificly by a software firm that nolonger excists( they closed down and where bought up by another company like 4-5 years ago)

ms lost their buisness because they wouldnt sell them a large number of xp VLK's, the ms rep kept pushing them to move to vista because it was better, he didnt listen when they flat out told him and showed him that the app they use WILL NOT RUN ON VISTA, he insisted they needed to use vista.....

as in any buisness, if you dont listen to your customers, you loose them.......well other then the oil industry and tabaco, those 2 industrys can do whatever they want and people will keep buying.......:p

jonmcc33

System Name BLACK
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 3.2GHz
Motherboard Abit IP35-E @ 1600FSB
Cooling Thermalright XP-90 w/92mm ADDA fan
Memory 4GB Hynix DDR2-667 @ 800MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon X1900XT
Storage (2) 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) Samsung 225BW
Case Antec Nine Hundred
Audio Device(s) Audigy2 ZS Platinum
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Windows Vista Business x64 SP1
When will people get over the system resources? WHY have RAM if you moan when it gets used? Seriously, these days you can pick up 4GB of RAM for under £50, you have NO reason to complain about it actually getting used. As for using software that comes with the TV card, I haven't found one yet that betters windows media centre. Just because you don't use it, doesn't mean a lot of others don't.

What? I don't think you got the point of my post. :confused:

What? That's one of the best parts of Vista! It only indexes C:\Users by default anyway. It won't speed anything up.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Yeah, innovation. Making and selling a tire tube with a thousand cuts, selling patches, if patches don't work, promise people the next tube they make is better, force them to buy the next tube, but turns out still has cuts, people are forced to live on with it. Reason being there is no compelling alternative to Windows, the way Phenom 9850 is to Q6600. So in a way we're slave to Microsoft, we have to pay for their software just as we pay taxes.

you dont have to buy anything you dont want to. you choose to buy microsoft products.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
but ms CANT do that, they would and will be sued if they fail to support xp, they can EOL sales, but buisness relys on extended support(support after sales end) check how long 2k or nt4 where supported after they where outmoded.

fact is ms HAS to support their older os's, if they dont large businesses that rely on that support will sue, then they will leave ms for unix/linux or mac, thats basic business, if you piss off your customer base, you dont have a customer base.

ms has more then enought $ to support xp+vista+develop windows 7, yes in the short term it will cost them $ but in the long run it makes them $, and i dont see ms as being quite so short sited as to shoot themselved in the nuts with a shotgun by dumping xp support.

there are alot of businesses that CANT move to vista, they use apps that WILL NOT WORK ON VISTA or hardware that WILL NOT WORK ON VISTA, many of those apps are custom apps that do not have upgraded versions OR if they have upgraded versions they arent compatable with backups/saves from older versions(more common then you would think, mostly done when a company also wants to sell their services converting a database for those who upgrade)

if they dumped xp support, those clients would use xp till they couldnt use it anymore, as they looked for alternitives.

for example a local money management company around here recently started the move to linux, they are using WINE to run their old account management software, vista WOULDNT run it, and the company that made the softwares been out of buisness for years, it would cost alot to replace a system thats still plenty powerfull for what they do, so insted they asked some experts what they could do, a few options like keep xp and buy more licences and install it on the new systems you buy then pay for extended support after the support period from ms has officialy ended came up, BUT one of them said, why not try running your program in wine, it worked, a little tweaking and it worked flawless, now they have a custom build that they are slowly replacing windows with, its based on slackware's latist build, has all the apps they need built into the disk, oh yeah, and it will run smooth as silk on their current systems, so no need to upgrade old boxes.

oh and yes vmware/virtual pc was considered, but the cost of vmware was restrictive and virtual pc wasnt reliable with it, cant remmber then name of the program they use, but it was made for them spicificly by a software firm that nolonger excists( they closed down and where bought up by another company like 4-5 years ago)

ms lost their buisness because they wouldnt sell them a large number of xp VLK's, the ms rep kept pushing them to move to vista because it was better, he didnt listen when they flat out told him and showed him that the app they use WILL NOT RUN ON VISTA, he insisted they needed to use vista.....

as in any buisness, if you dont listen to your customers, you loose them.......well other then the oil industry and tabaco, those 2 industrys can do whatever they want and people will keep buying.......:p

im not saying they pull all their resources. im saying that they pull some. they keep enough to honor their extended contracts. they cant support what they make forever. if they did they would be out of business because another company which just started up would have an advantage of not having to support older software. you see what im saying?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
a lot of you have missed the point. you whine because vista does not perform as well as windows xp using the same hardware to run applications and games. but every new OS requires higher specs because of consumer demand for functionality and accesibility. you want vista to be better than XP at running applications? then you do it. you start coding and see how it goes. oh whats that? you dont know how to code? then how can you possibly complain about something you dont have the ability to change. you can either buy it or not. that is your role as the consumer. if enought people dont buy it then microsoft will get the message and their next OS will address those problems. but dont expect some miracle OS that will never crash and run crysis at 1,000 FPS on ultra high settings. i dont see the point of all this complaining. you are wasting your energy.

beyond_amusia

System Name Cozad (Asus G60JX)
Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Video Card(s) nVidia GeForce 360M
Storage 500GB
Display(s) 16 inch LED LCD
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Just watch, people will cling to Vista like they cling to XP now when Windows 7 comes out. lol.
On the other hand, they may leap from XP to Windows 7.... As of now, an install of windows 7 M1 requires an upgrade from Vista, so MS may just give the XP lovers the finger and say "vista to 7 only, not XP to 7" lol. Then again, there is always a clean install...

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
so if i tell you that xp,2k,2k3,x64pro, and any version of linux/unix would record that program without a problem your gonna say thats not vistas fault.

and no there wasnt a work around, i did a little research, the only "fix" is to find 3rd party software to use, and why would you buy a vista media system then want to buy 3rd party software in order to beable to use it for what you bought it for?

and ms CANT leigaly brick a pre vista machien at will, you can sue and will win if they do.
read your vista EULA closely, ms can do whatever they want to you and your system once you move to vista, not that it would stop me from moving if i saw the VALUE in doing so, or if their where more positives then negitives for me.

and as i have said b4, im not linux lover, but saddly, ms is driving more and more people to crappy linux distros like noobuntu and linspire by their acctions with vista.

no pre-vista windows had DRM built into it as part of its core design, do a bit of research, if the mpaa/riaa dont like your videocard/video drivers/sound card/sound drivers they can tell ms to dissable them, this can be a partial dissable or full on block of the driver reverting you to VGA mode/no sound OR they could also dissable it in such a way that you just get no image on your screen......fun.

vista can lower the quility of output on your audio and video subsystems if ms/mpaa/riaa deside your system dosnt meet their standreds, again, no other version of windows or os for that matter has this "feture".

wouldnt you be happy if your 8800 or 2900/38*0 just stoped being able to play movies one day because somebody desided that it wasnt suitable to playback HD content?
of if they degraded it to 320x240 res quility on all content you tryed to play?
or ur sound stoped working or degraded the quility to 32kbps mp3 levels?

these are all things vista CAN DO, and you dont even have to run windows update for this to happen, as the update that happened to the windows update files showed, ms can force an update any time they want, without letting you know they are doing it.

for that last update info, im sure it made these forums, i remmber how big a rough it was, people wherepissed when they found out that ms had snuk in an update to the windows update service files without permission, personaly i didnt care since it was to close a seirous hole in the update service that could have let somebody hax you easly.

but it shows how easly ms can access a windows system, especly vista where by installing it you give them permission to give you a sore ass if they feel like it.
Ummm, output can be disabled on XP as well. Both audio and video, just like Vista.

But like I said, that's easily defeatable, on either os. Again, not a good argument.

And why do you keep brining up extended support for corporations? We all know corporations have different needs than standard desktop users. That's not the scope of this article, and just another red herring for you to try and use to make Vista look bad.

beyond_amusia

System Name Cozad (Asus G60JX)
Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Video Card(s) nVidia GeForce 360M
Storage 500GB
Display(s) 16 inch LED LCD
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Corperations have lots of money, so they can afford new PCs; they are just cheap bastards.

System Name _Speedforce_ (Successor to Strike-X, 4LI3NBR33D-H, Core-iH7 & Nemesis-H)
Processor Intel Core i9 7980XE (Lapped) @ 5.2Ghz With XSPC Raystorm (Lapped)
Motherboard Asus Rampage VI Extreme (XSPC Watercooled) - Custom Heatsinks (Lapped)
Cooling XSPC Custom Water Cooling + Custom Air Cooling (From Delta 220's TFB1212GHE to Spal 30101504&5)
Memory 8x 8Gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz @ 4667Mhz (2x F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) 3x Asus GTX1080 Ti (Lapped) With Customised EK Waterblock (Lapped) + Custom heatsinks (Lapped)
Storage 1x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB - 2280 (Hyper M.2 x16 Card), 7x Samsung 860 Pro 4Tb
Display(s) 6x Asus ROG Swift PG348Q
Case Aerocool Strike X (Modified)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 & Aurvana XFi Headphones
Power Supply 2x Corsair AX1500i With Custom Sheilding, Custom Switching Unit. Braided Cables.
Mouse Razer Copperhead + R.A.T 9
Keyboard Ideazon Zboard + Optimus Maximus. Logitech G13.
Software w10 Pro x64.
Benchmark Scores pppft, gotta see it to believe it. . .
The main issue here is that they are asking XP users to ' get over it '.
Better hardware required to keep up with XP ? So the better hardware will run better on XP!
Vista is shit, everyone knows it, they even know it! They are already over it, and are bringing out the new o.s very very soon. Vista was a marketing strategy to elude users to making a purchase, most making a dual purchase back to XP. MS won big time, so did their shareholders.

Windows7 seems promising as did XP after the many versions between XP PRO & 98se. I have no doubt that the majority of windows users will jump from XP to Windows7. I just hope they dont kill this one too. Please let me pick what i want to install because i cbf pulling it apart and putting together my own version.

Okay, this is what I'll do. I'll pirate a copy of Vista, try it out with the fully fledged updates, then I'll think about purchasing vista. Or I'll go back to XP.

D

Deleted member 24505

Windows 7 looks just like vista to me,i reckon it'll just be a tweaked version of vista named windows 7 to pull in the vista haters.They'll just change/remove the stuff the vista haters did'nt like.

Status
Not open for further replies.