• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Both Nvidia video cards are not detected

falconrob

Let's start of on the right foot. I have read and researched the internet for a week. I have contacted the respected vendors where I purchased my parts and recieved no help. After going through several forums I found this one to be the most knowledgeable. With that said here is what I am up against.

I have two video cards on hand.

Nvidia 6200 64MB Turbo Cache(6200) and a 512MB 8600GT also from Nvidia

My computer is using Media Center XP(OS) with 2G RAM using 4 slots of 512MB. The computer is a Gateway 5045E. The standard video board is the 6200. I started playing the American Army game and wanted to gain any speed in my system I could so I began to tweak XP settings such as start up programs and virtual memory sizes. About a week or two later I noticed when I got up in the morning the system had rebooted itself. When I signed in, the error box came up and I began my research. The error pointed to the Nv_4 (I have to get the exact file from the WinDbg program I used). Then the monitor started to reboot after 3-5 minutes. I then swapped the monitor and cable from this computer with another. This computers monitor and cable worked for days on the other computer (monitor and cable ruled out) but the monitor I moved to the bad computer shut off (went black) and ever since then I have not been able to recover. I found the serial cable port on the back of the case that had tape over it stating "use the installed video card not this onboard video connection". I removed the tape and plugged in and I have video. It is slow and choppy but I have video even to this day. I went out and bought a new video card(8600GT). The problem now is the system will not detect the pcie video card, neither one of the cards is detected. My friend can see the video cards when he installs them on their computer. I have gone through my bios and don't see anything pertaining to onboard video (Foxconn mobo 51GU01). I have removed memory and tried one stick at a time, I have tried to flash the bios but I can't get the boot disk to be seen. I bought a new power supply. I now have a 450watt power supply which replaced the 300watt I had. The power supply meets the rail current spect by 2 amps. The pcb requires 18 amps and I have 20a.

Let's see if that is a good start with information I can remember. I just want to be able to detect a video board in the PCIE slot. I have enabled that slot to be primary video in bios but that doesn't do a thing.

Thanks ahead of time for those who read this post.

thoughtdisorder

System Name Decent Lappy
When you say "tweaked", did you do any tweaking in the registry like "largesystemcache"?

falconrob

I hope I don't violate any rules of the forum by listing the website where I found the XP tweaks but here it is. http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

I went through and made the changes I "thought" would be ok. I am pretty knowledgeable with computers but surely not an expert or else I would have this problem licked.

Basically to answer your question I did alot of what is mentioned on that site such as the msconfig changes and so on. Once you see the site you will see everything I looked at changing. Please tell me if this helps answer your question.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
well....when your in your bios..does it say anything about using the pci-e slot as the primary display methode?..if so change it to pci-e.....if not next up when you boot into windows uninstall all nvidia drivers..after you do that put the 8600GT back in and hook up the video cable to that card...clear your cmos and start the rig back up...go ingot bios (hoping you have video. make sure the setting for the primary display adapter is set to pci-e do the other things like program the time etc...and continue into wondows after youve gone their reinstall the latest drivers from the nvidia site...

by the looks of the error you got its the nvidia drivers so id try uninstalling reinstalling b4 any of this.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
When you first boot the computer with a PCI-E card connected, do you get a display out of the PCI-E card? If not, then it is probably an issue with the motherboard using the onboard card and not the PCI-E card. This can be caused by a bad PCI-E port, a wrong setting in the BIOS(which I doubt since you didn't change any settings), or a bad video card(which I also doubt since they work in another computer).

If you get a video signal out of the PCI-E card when you first boot the computer, but not in Windows, then it is probably a Windows issue. I've seen this happen before, where Windows suddenly starts using the onboard card again instead of the dedicated card. Try booting the computer with the PCI-E card connected, but with the monitor plugged into the onboard video card. Boot into Windows, then go into display properties and under the settings tab select your PCI-E video card in the drop down box and then check the box labeled "Use this as my primary display".

falconrob

Thanks. I will be sure to try these when I get home in a few hours. I appreciate your time and I will update what I have done hopefully tonight if I have video but at the latest tomorrow.

falconrob

Solaris...With the card out of the system. I changed the bios to pciex(already there) and uninstalled any Nvidia drivers I had using the onboard video. I shut down and installed the new card then booted up plugged into the new card. No dice. Had to plug back into my onboard to see anything.

Newtekie1....No display from my new cards at all. I check my setting tab but there are no options.

Still lost on this issue but I haven't given up yet.

falconrob

Problem Fixed.

All I can do is tell you what I did and I don't know exactly what fixed it per se. I ended up removing the modem card and the ATI tuner card (I have MCE as the OS). I booted up on the onboard video and did all my work from there. I kept trying to focus on the bios upgrade and I was more frustrated than anything else with all the ideas out there (upgrade to this or that). Anyways, I went to Gateway support and found a place to reload my files for the system I purchased. I was lucky to find this because I never noticed this screen before. It gave me the option to load all my past sw such as the nvidia drivers for video and motherboard chipsets. I loaded anything that was close to what I thought could have caused this. Then I put my old 6200 card back in and guess what...I had a video screen. After a few minutes it began to fade out in that the screen went to lines and had trouble keeping up with my mouse movements. Finally it went blank and died (uh oh!) I decided to try the new card (8600GT) and it worked. I didn't let windows load their drivers but went to nvidia and loaded the latest and greatest and with 4 hours under my belt it seems ok.

I wanted to post what I did to resolve the issue of what appeared to be the loss of my PCIE port. I hope it helps someone else.

falconrob

Back to square one

I have been out of town since posting I licked this thing. The computer had to reboot for a program to be installed and poof the video board cannot be seen again like before. I am at a loss.