• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

C51Gu01 Foxconn mobo PCI-E not responding

ZugZug

Hello all, unfortionatly I seem to have myself a little problem, and have been reading through these forums and knew this is a place I should be. I have a "Gateway GT5028" system, and one day when I turned my computer off, the next time I turned it on, I got a blank screen, at first I thought I fryed my video card (Geforce 7950gt oc), but I tryed my geforce 6600gt oc and I got the same problem. But I was getting all my beeps and everything, after a very long inital boot compared to normal. So I pluged my monitor into the onboard Geforce 6100 and pow, everything seemed to work, except for the long boot time and the prolongated time without video on my monitor from startup. Taking out the video card solved that problem of corse. But my PCI-E slot seems to be fryed, and I was woundering if anyone has any advice or tricks I can try out to get this thing working again, I dont really know if it's fryed or just stoped responding one morning.

Specs: - AMD Athalon X2 3800+ Duel Core
- 2GB DDR PC3200 (duel channel)
- 300W PSU (unfortionatly a gf7950gtoc requires a 350 power supply witch I neglected to notice :( and that might have done it in, altho it worked fine for nearly a year)
- Geforce 7950 GT OC (factory overclock)
- 250Gb HD
- C51GU01 Foxconn mobo

I Figure I'm gonna have to get a new one, and am prepared to in 5 days, (hmmmm guess I'm gonna need a new psu too :( ) but perhaps someone out there more knoledgable than I can lend a helping and, and any help no matter how small is greatly apreciated.

Namslas90

Chances are the mobo's OK if it works with onboard video. The northbridge controlls the PCI-E slot and if it is working then the problem is most likley elsewhere!! How were you powering the 7950??

System Name Amber
Processor AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ Toledo 3.0GHz/2.0GHz 1.5V
Motherboard DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI Expert
Cooling Air: 1 80mm-Intake-top | 4-120mm 3-intake-1-exhaust | Proc 120mm blue orbII | N.B-T.T Key 3|
Memory 2GIG, 4x512 Kingston Hyper-X DDR333 PC 2700@167Mhz |2-2-2-5|-7-1T-8(CPU-Z) Dual channel
Video Card(s) 2 PNY Verto 8600GT'S in SLI, 670MHz/540MHz(Core)800MHz/700MHz
Storage 320 Gig Western digital SATA
Display(s) Sony 17" LCD 1280x1024 @ 75Htz
Case Sunbeam clear acrylic
Audio Device(s) Native Instuments Guitar Rig 3
Power Supply 520 Watt Aspire Dual rail +12#1 16 amps +12#2 18 amps(I think)
Software Fedora Core 8, Windows Vista
Yea, Is the Vid card being powered by a 6 pin? And did you notice any changes in the beeps? If so, they can tell you if theres a problem

ZugZug

Well the 6600 requiers no extra power plugins, the 7950gtoc required 2 four pin power cords.. I got some good help from Namslas, and had some limited success. Lastnight when I reset the bios, and tryed the 6600 video card, I couldnt get it to work.. But after I got home from work today, I turned on my computer and my 6600 was working! it was weird, but it was some sorta weird fluke or something minor is changing from time to time, because after I restarted from the new driver install.. I had the same problem again :( .... It wont boot up using my card in the PCI-E slot.. As for the beeps, everything starts normal, except for unusally very long inital boot (where it's seems to be trying to run the 6600) than gives up and moves to the onboard card instead. I've noticed the power light blinking slightly 3 times while it's trying the express video card. Altho I know the card is powered for the most part, I'm looking at it right now, the fan is moving like normal, and the LED lights are on. I havent had to to try flashing my bios yet tho... And unfortionatly I gotta work early so wont have time to do it tonight.. I'm hoping that'll work, but hope isnt something good to count on. But the fact that it worked once tells me that the problem is probley software related somehow, so perhaps.. Either that or I bumpt my comp without knowing and it magically worked once, but I dont think so.

Edit : P.S. I know the cards work perfectly, I tryed them in another PC to make sure

jeffmitchell123

ZugZug, I am having the same problem. I have a GT5058 with a C51GU01 Foxconn mobo. I bought it 2 years ago and installed a GT6800 card and it worked great for 2 years now. Two Months ago I installed the GT8800 with a new 520 watt power supply and have been playing COD 4. Then the screen goes blank. Long story short the onboard GT6100 works but the pci-e slot does not. I see in these forums that it looks like when people upgrade their vid cards is when the problem happens. So, if the pci-e slot is fried, can I fix that or just get a new mobo?

Guru Janitor

System Name Geraldo RiveraII
Processor Intel Core2Quad q6600 @ 3.2ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK x38-t2rb
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-D1264 CPU fan, case fans
Memory 4 gigs (2x2gig) G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD3870 @ 850/1305
Storage WD 500gb Caviar, WD Mybook 1tb external
Display(s) Asus 24" VK246H
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) onboard realtek
Power Supply PCP&C Silencer 750 quad 750w
Software Windows 7 (7100), Sony Vegas Pro 9, Photoshop CS4+
Benchmark Scores 3dmark06=12680 (Vista Business 32x) 3dmark06=12852 (Windows 7 7100 64x)
I turned on my computer and my 6600 was working! it was weird, but it was some sorta weird fluke or something minor is changing from time to time, because after I restarted from the new driver install.. I had the same problem again :( ....

From that statement it sounds like your drivers could be causing the problem. Try an older version of the drivers, the new ones could be causing some sort of compatibility issue.

Namslas90

ZugZug, I am having the same problem. I have a GT5058 with a C51GU01 Foxconn mobo. I bought it 2 years ago and installed a GT6800 card and it worked great for 2 years now. Two Months ago I installed the GT8800 with a new 520 watt power supply and have been playing COD 4. Then the screen goes blank. Long story short the onboard GT6100 works but the pci-e slot does not. I see in these forums that it looks like when people upgrade their vid cards is when the problem happens. So, if the pci-e slot is fried, can I fix that or just get a new mobo?

My Gateway GT 5056 with C51GU01 Mobo has a X1900XTX installed since it was 3 months old. Going on three years now I only have problems when the card intake fan gets clogged and it over heats.

It is "KNOWN" that these GT series computers were shipped with a bad batch of motherboards. But if you didn't find out and request a replacement within the warranty period you are out of luck.

Drivers can cause problems, search the Gateway site and update everything you can, especially the "Media Center" drivers. Get your chipset drivers from Nvidia not Gateway.
ATI drivers can cause other problems...use the instructions on the website under the link labled "Instalation Instructions". This proceedure details how to properly remove ATI drivers and other drivers necessary for a "clean install". To further your chances of sucess, after removal of old drivers - Defrag your HDD - Then install the new driver set from ATI site.

Hint: also disable the "Cool-n-Quiet" option in BIOS to increase fan speed and increase airflow with the larger more powerfull GPU's - also add a 90mm exhaust fan to help exhaust and keep the case temp down.

jeffmitchell123

Thanks for the quick reply Namslas90. I did add a new 90mm exhaust fan last week. I also this weekend went an bought a cheap nvidia 7300 card to make sure it was my pci-e slot. When I tested it with the 7300 card, still no screen, but if I use the onboard 6100 it works fine. So that tells me it is the pci-e slot that is bad. When I got the 8800 card it came with a CD of drivers that I installed. Are you saying I need new ones? And why would I get Nvidia drivers from the ATI site?

Namslas90

Thanks for the quick reply Namslas90. I did add a new 90mm exhaust fan last week. I also this weekend went an bought a cheap nvidia 7300 card to make sure it was my pci-e slot. When I tested it with the 7300 card, still no screen, but if I use the onboard 6100 it works fine. So that tells me it is the pci-e slot that is bad. When I got the 8800 card it came with a CD of drivers that I installed. Are you saying I need new ones? And why would I get Nvidia drivers from the ATI site?

Check Gateway for Bios updates, might solve the PCI-E problem.
Be sure to remove all old drivers and defrag before adding new ones...also might solve PCI-E problem
Getting Nvidia CHIPSET Drivers from Nvidia ensures you have the most updated drivers available for your chipset. Your mobo has an Nvidia Chipset.

Also try reseting the CMOS jumper after installing the card.

If using an "add-on" sound card make sure you disable the onboard sound in BIOS. This has been known to cause issues with the chipset/drivers on that Mobo caudingfor sound and video display problems.

To replace that mobo cost over $200 new and still too much used(E-bay). Not worth it IMO, also new 939's are getting scarce, so it may be time to upgrade anyways.

falconrob

Namslas

I have been following all of your posts. I appreciate the knowledge you have shared. I just fixed a similar problem and here is what I did. I hope it helps. I knew it had to be something easy or something I may have done. It isn't as technical as your posts but it may be just enough for someone not to throw their computer through a wall.

All I can do is tell you what I did and I don't know exactly what fixed it per se. I ended up removing the modem card and the ATI tuner card (I have MCE as the OS). I booted up on the onboard video and did all my work from there. I kept trying to focus on the bios upgrade and I was more frustrated than anything else with all the ideas out there (upgrade to this or that). Anyways, I went to Gateway support and found a place to reload my files for the system I purchased. I was lucky to find this because I never noticed this screen before. It gave me the option to load all my past sw such as the nvidia drivers for video and motherboard chipsets. I loaded anything that was close to what I thought could have caused this. Then I put my old 6200 card back in and guess what...I had a video screen. After a few minutes it began to fade out in that the screen went to lines and had trouble keeping up with my mouse movements. Finally it went blank and died (uh oh!) I decided to try the new card (8600GT) and it worked. I didn't let windows load their drivers but went to nvidia and loaded the latest and greatest and with 4 hours under my belt it seems ok.

I wanted to post what I did to resolve the issue of what appeared to be the loss of my PCIE port. I hope it helps someone else.