• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I need helping setting the right clock on my AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+

NYGANG_EDDI

OK just make my comp, using an asus k8v-x motherboard and a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+. Now when I first booted up it automatically found my AMD 64 Processor 3400+ so I naturally assumed that I wouldint have to do anything and that the new Motherboards were smart enough to do that stuff for you. Well while fiddling with 3DMark05 I noticed on my spec sheet it said:
Internal Clock 801.0 MHz, and on the other side Internal Clock Maximum 2.2 GHz. So I was like whats goin on, I also noticed in Half life 2 it saying my clock is 801.0 MHz. So Im wonderin, is my CPU runnin at full speed? Also they dont use jumpers for cpu clocks anymore, In my BIOS I can increase my FSB which raises another question: If I increase my FSB, will my Motherboard automatically lower my clock speed to compensate?

Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me on this :)

P.S on 3DMark it also says: External Clock 200.0 MHz , guessin thats my FSB?

zealot`grr

wrong forum dude ;) I moved your thread.

go to www.cpuid.com and download "CPU-Z". it will show you all the necessary information regarding your cpu. if it shows your cpus speed @ 800mhz you have cool & quiet activated.

your board won't lower your overall clock speed when you increase your "fsb"

NYGANG_EDDI

Ok now Help with my RAM

yep good ol' cool n' quiet :D

Also I wanna make my RAM go faster, I can do that by increasing my FSB right? (cool N' Quiet will auto adjust the multiplier ?). OH I just Read (CPU-Z) that my Memory Frequency is at 200.3 Mhz but The ram I bought said 400 Mhz on it!, also for channels it says single!, I got 2 512 sticks of 400 Mhz DDR Ram, any thoughts?

NYGANG_EDDI

Hold up!!

On the SPD Tab of CPU-Z I also Read that for my slot 1 and slot 2 the max bandwidth is PC3200(200MHz)

N

nightelf84

NYGANG_EDDI said:
yep good ol' cool n' quiet :D

Also I wanna make my RAM go faster, I can do that by increasing my FSB right? (cool N' Quiet will auto adjust the multiplier ?). OH I just Read (CPU-Z) that my Memory Frequency is at 200.3 Mhz but The ram I bought said 400 Mhz on it!, also for channels it says single!, I got 2 512 sticks of 400 Mhz DDR Ram, any thoughts?

First of all, you're using a socket 754 motherboard. This mobo does not support running memory in dual channel. If you want dual channel, then you'll need a socket 939 motherboard.

Secondly, if your FSB:DRAM ratio is at 1:1, your memory frequency should correspond to your FSB. 200.3Mhz is the correct frequency (bus speed is double pumped ie. a 200FSB = 200X2 Mhz) In your case, if you check the CPU page, your FSB should also be 200.3 and bus speed is 400.6 (assuming my maths are correct).

Third, Just as long as your FSB:DRAM ratio is at 1:1, increasing FSB will increase memory speeds as well. Do note that if you've purchased some crap RAM, you wont be able to get much overclock out of it. Please refer to the many OCing guides out there.

NYGANG_EDDI

I want my memory to run at the full 400MHZ, when I go into bios the max I can set my CPU FSB Frequency is 300, I set it up to 210 but as I do, My CPU Mhz also increases which I do not want. I can also set the CPU Speed to a manual setting (its on auto right now). So what Im thinking right now: If I set a manual CPU Speed to 2200 (AMD Athilon 64 3400+ 754) and then crank up the CPU FSB to 300 Mhz will that be fine (even though not 400Mhz :S), Will the cool n' quiet still work with it set manually? (really dont care if I gotta disable), are there special DIMM slot settings that do x2? so I can keep it at 200 Mhz ? am I dumb for not understanding the last post and that my memory is already running at max speed when it says 200 Mhz? :p

Schpeedy

ddr400 = 200mhz buss = your memory is already running at 400mhz trying to run it at 300mhz buss will make the memory run at 600 which is far out of specification, i.e. burnt ram chips.

N

nightelf84

Your memory IS RUNNING AT 400MHZ! If your FSB is 200, then your memory is running at 400Mhz (DDR - Dual Data Rate). If ur FSB is at 210, then ur memory is running at 420Mhz.

Dude, you gotta understand that a 200FSB (in AMD CPUs) is double pumped to get you to 400MHz. You wud be extremely lucky if you can get your FSB to 220 even, because then you'll have an effective bus speed of 440Mhz at which your CPU would need increases in vcore as well as very effective cooling. (AFAIK, the 3400+ will clock to about 215FSB with stock cooling) Your memory on the other hand (depending on quality and brand) may or may not handle speeds of up to 440Mhz. At this point, you'll probably looking at increasing vdimms and relaxed timings as well as better cooling.

NYGANG_EDDI

hehe thx guys ive learned alot :D Now you say I can reach 215 with stock cool'n? hehe cool
so now what im thinkin: I bought some generic 512 400mhz ddr ram with no cooling on it whatsoever. When I was at 210 everything ran fine (got a extra 1000 in aquamark for a total of 5200 :D ) So How high do you think my generic ram can reach? think it will be fine at 215? also does my motherboard have autoshut off for my mem if its about to cook just like with the cpu protection?

N

nightelf84

NYGANG_EDDI said:
hehe thx guys ive learned alot :D Now you say I can reach 215 with stock cool'n? hehe cool
so now what im thinkin: I bought some generic 512 400mhz ddr ram with no cooling on it whatsoever. When I was at 210 everything ran fine (got a extra 1000 in aquamark for a total of 5200 :D ) So How high do you think my generic ram can reach? think it will be fine at 215? also does my motherboard have autoshut off for my mem if its about to cook just like with the cpu protection?

Not so sure... but you can always try. You can easily tell if your memory cannot handle 215 (crashes, BSOD, memory read errors). When you reach 215 or higher, you can test your memory with memtest86. You can find it here www.memtest86.com

Increase vcore and/or vdimm if you get instability but try to find out what voltage your ram is rated first so that you don't go over it. As for vcore, keep an eye on the cpu temperature. Your memory does not have overheat protection, so if it overheats your pc wont shut down automatically...