• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Playstation 3 Firmware Update 2.41 Posted

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
After last week's fiasco involving the 2.40 firmware update, Sony has launched the 2.41 update. No added features, just that issues brought up with the previous update are said to be fixed.

Sony is positive that all bugs with the previous update have been fixed. In a statement, they say: "As many of you know, we released PS3 firmware update v2.40 last week, but had to take it offline temporarily because, for a limited number of users, the XMB wouldn't display after the update was installed," said Eric Lempel, Sony's PlayStation Network Operations Director. "We've been able to fix the problem, and I'm happy to report that firmware update v2.41 will be released shortly. We want to extend our apologies to the PlayStation community for any inconvenience."

For details on how to update, please visit this page.

Good Luck.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

chron

100% of the people I know who own a ps3 messed theirs up with the update ;)

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I think I will wait a day or two before downloading this one. Though I downloaded 2.40 and didn't have any issues with it.

"for a limited number of users, the XMB wouldn’t display"

Wasn't there like a 60 page thread at the ps3 forums? I'd say the number of users affected was limited to the number of ps3's sold.

Please don't troll.

chron

Please don't troll.

I'm not. I'm simply pointing out how sony is trying to downplay a major screw up. Trolling would have been me posting something about how the 360 is better and ps3 owners aren't as intelligent as 360 owners etcetera, etcetera.

lighten up

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I'm not. I'm simply pointing out how sony is trying to downplay a major screw up. Trolling would have been me posting something about how the 360 is better and ps3 owners aren't as intelligent as 360 owners etcetera, etcetera.

lighten up

You don't have to mention a competitor to troll. Making inaccurate statements meant to bash one company trying to get a rise out of people so they will argue is trolling. That is exactly what you did. You posted a comment trying to start an argument, that is trolling.

It really was a limitted number of people, less than 1% of PS3 owners were affected by the problem. That is a lot different from every PS3 owner like you implied.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Haven't had a single issue with mine since 2.40. Haven't used it all that much other than Folding and streaming playlists from my PC.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
"for a limited number of users, the XMB wouldn’t display"

Wasn't there like a 60 page thread at the ps3 forums? I'd say the number of users affected was limited to the number of ps3's sold.

Wrong. My PS3 didn't experience any faults after the upgrade.

Also, to the downplay comment...What company doesn't try to downplay something bad? lol...

chron

You don't have to mention a competitor to troll. Making inaccurate statements meant to bash one company trying to get a rise out of people so they will argue is trolling. That is exactly what you did. You posted a comment trying to start an argument, that is trolling.

It really was a limitted number of people, less than 1% of PS3 owners were affected by the problem. That is a lot different from every PS3 owner like you implied.

I wasn't trying to start an argument, but now you obviously are, so who's really trolling here? Don't troll. Naughty naughty.

Anyways - the number of people affected was way lower than I thought initially. I know two people who had this issue, and they're the only two people I know with ps3s.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I wasn't trying to start an argument, but now you obviously are, so who's really trolling here? Don't troll. Naughty naughty.

Anyways - the number of people affected was way lower than I thought initially. I know two people who had this issue, and they're the only two people I know with ps3s.

Yes, you were trying to start an argument, otherwise you wouldn't have come into a topic about the PS3 and started bashing it.

Ignorance of the facts doesn't mean you can come into a topic, make wild inaccurate negative statements against what the topic is about, and then say later "well I didn't mean to start and argument".

chron

Yes, you were trying to start an argument, otherwise you wouldn't have come into a topic about the PS3 and started bashing it.

Ignorance of the facts doesn't mean you can come into a topic, make wild inaccurate negative statements against what the topic is about, and then say later "well I didn't mean to start and argument".

wow, I've never seen anyone get so angry over so little. Meanwhile, you post in another thread that x38 and x48 chipsets don't support 3 pci-e lanes? LMFAO Give me a break. :nutkick:

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
wow, I've never seen anyone get so angry over so little. Meanwhile, you post in another thread that x38 and x48 chipsets don't support 3 pci-e lanes? LMFAO Give me a break. :nutkick:

Give me a break and stop trolling this thread. Every post you have made in this thread is trying to ignite an argument.

chron

Give me a break and stop trolling this thread. Every post you have made in this thread is trying to ignite an argument.

Actually it's just me responding. I didn't realize I was TROLLING and I honestly wasn't trying to argue. It's just that with what I saw, I thought the problem was WAAAAY bigger than it actually was.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

I'm going to correct you, give you some facts, and then leave this topic and never come back.

I didn't say the x38 and x48 chipsets don't support 3 PCI-E lanes, that would be an extremely small number of PCI-E lanes to support. I said the x38 and x48 chipsets only support 2 PCI-E slots(refering to graphics slots), and I was correct. See here. Notice the little section on the specs labeled: "External Graphics Interface"? What does it say next to it? Yep, 2x16 or Two slots with 16 PCI-E Lanes each.

So what have you learned today? If you are going to try and pick a fight, don't. If you do pick a fight, make sure you actually know what you are talking about before you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

chron

no you know what, dont come back and either will I. You're just being argumentative over asbolutely nothing. You got your facts wrong, now you're trying to add stuff as if people will know what you MEANT to say.

also, just so people don't think I'm full of it and giving this guy a hard time, this is a copy and paste of his post along with the post he was repling to:

by: DOM;875642
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
why only 2 pci-e :wtf:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because that is all the x48/x38 chipset will support.

so EXCUSE me newtekie that you never mentioned anything about graphic slots, and that using common sense while reading your post would indicate that you were stating that the x48 and x38 chipsets supported "only 2 pci-e " :wtf:

:)

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
no you know what, dont come back and either will I. You're just being argumentative over asbolutely nothing. You got your facts wrong, now you're trying to add stuff as if people will know what you MEANT to say.

also, just so people don't think I'm full of it and giving this guy a hard time, this is a copy and paste of his post along with the post he was repling to:

by: DOM;875642
why only 2 pci-e :wtf:

Because that is all the x48/x38 chipset will support.

so EXCUSE me newtekie that you never mentioned anything about graphic slots, and that using common sense while reading your post would indicate that you were stating that the x48 and x38 chipsets supported "only 2 pci-e " :wtf:

:)

And if you look at what DOM was referring to, it is clear he was talking about Graphics ports, as the board has more than 2 PCI-E slots, it only has 2 PCI-E Graphics slots. Common sense tells you that if I'm responding to DOM and DOM is talking about Graphics slots, then I too am talking about graphics slots. It is actually a pretty easy logic to follow.

Now your just grasping at straws to try and make yourself look better.

chron

And if you look at what DOM was referring to, it is clear he was talking about Graphics ports, as the board has more than 2 PCI-E slots, it only has 2 PCI-E Graphics slots. Common sense tells you that if I'm responding to DOM and DOM is talking about Graphics slots, then I too am talking about graphics slots. It is actually a pretty easy logic to follow.

Now your just grasping at straws to try and make yourself look better.

The board only has 2 pci-e x16 slots and 2 pci-e x1 slots. I did some assumption of my own (believe it or not) and decided he wasn't complaining about the 2 pci-e x1 slots, but rather the x16 slots. All you said was x48 and x38 only supported 2, which is wrong. They support 3. Nobody mentioned anything about graphics slots, only pci-e slots.

So, actually, you're the one grasping at straws man. Nothing I've said is technically wrong. The number of users affected by the ps3 update can only be limited by the number of units sold, and there is a 60 page thread on the issue. <Not a wrong statement technically.

So go back, fix your post, you screwed up. I'm sorry if I've made you irritated over this, but I simply was correcting an incomplete statement.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
So, actually, you're the one grasping at straws man. Nothing I've said is technically wrong. The number of users affected by the ps3 update can only be limited by the number of units sold, and there is a 60 page thread on the issue. <Not a wrong statement technically.

Why don't you link us to the forum. Furthermore, you said it affected every PS3 owner...60 page forum...Even if every person who posted in that topic had the problem, that doesn't equal 14 million owners.

chron

Why don't you link us to the forum. Furthermore, you said it affected every PS3 owner...60 page forum...Even if every person who posted in that topic had the problem, that doesn't equal 14 million owners.

"I'd say the number of users affected was limited to the number of ps3's sold."

I didnt say every owner was affected. It was more or less just a joke. Wow.

and the link is on techpowerup's frontpage

edit:
here you go:
http://www.techpowerup.com/64653/Sony_Scraps_2.40_Playstation_3_Firmware_Update.html
A thread at the official Playstation 3 forums is currently over 60-pages and is filled with a number of ranting PS3 owners.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
The board only has 2 pci-e x16 slots and 2 pci-e x1 slots.

Actually, it has 3 PCI-E x1 slots.

I did some assumption of my own (believe it or not) and decided he wasn't complaining about the 2 pci-e x1 slots, but rather the x16 slots.

You mean the 3 PCI-E x1 slots? And you are admitting that you assumed from the beginning that DOM was talking about the x16 slots. So why is it hard to follow, when I quoted his post in my response, that I also was talking about the x16 slots?

All you said was x48 and x38 only supported 2, which is wrong.

Yes I said that. No, it is not wrong. The x38/x48 chipset only supports 2 PCI-E x16 slots. Did you even look at the specs for the chipsets?

They support 3.

No, they don't, they only support 2. Look at the specs.

Nobody mentioned anything about graphics slots, only pci-e slots.

But you just said you assumed DOM was talking about the x16 slots(AKA Graphics Slots, they are the same thing). Keep your story straight, it starting to unraval.

So, actually, you're the one grasping at straws man.

No, I'm not, clearly.

Nothing I've said is technically wrong.

Actually, a lot of what you have said is technically wrong.

The number of users affected by the ps3 update can only be limited by the number of units sold, and there is a 60 page thread on the issue. <Not a wrong statement technically.

Actually, if you want to get technical, it can be limitted by the number of people that downloaded the update, not only the number of PS3s sold. However, that isn't what your original statement was. Your original statement implied that every PS3 owner was affected You have changed your statement, but I quoted so you can never truly erase it.

So go back, fix your post, you screwed up.

Where have I screwed up again?

I'm sorry if I've made you irritated over this, but I simply was correcting an incomplete statement.

No, you were simply trolling.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Ehm? :confused:

Perhaps you should post in this thread: Rampage Extreme Pics

Or perhaps not post at all, (the argument, I mean).

chron

Actually, it has 3 PCI-E x1 slots

....rant.

everything you've said here is complete mindless dribble. In fact, DOM has replied showing system specs at foxconn's website listing an x48 chipset as having 3 pci-e 2.0 x16 slots.

You're losing your mind. Stand up and walk away from the computer. You've lost the argument. I've proven you wrong. I am better than you. (ok that last part was a joke)

and the only person trolling here is you. Stop, or I'll report it.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
everything you've said here is complete mindless dribble. In fact, DOM has replied showing system specs t foxconn's website listing an x48 chipset as hacing 3 pci-e 2.0 x16 slots.

You're losing your mind. Stand up and walk away from the computer. You've lose the argument. I've proven you wrong. I am better than you. (ok that last part was a joke)

Who shall I believe more...foxconn or Intel...well since Intel actually makes the chipset, I'll go with them. Oh, and the foxconn board does the samething the ASUS board does. The third slot is not a true x16 slot, it is an x4 slot. Of course, Foxconn doesn't actually come out and say that, but foxconn has always been a little shady with stuff like that. To them, if the port looks like an x16 port, then that is what it is.

chron

Who shall I believe more...foxconn or Intel...well since Intel actually makes the chipset, I'll go with them. Oh, and the foxconn board does the samething the ASUS board does. The third slot is not a true x16 slot, it is an x4 slot.

You should buy a foxconn board and sue them for false advertising.

Also, for the last time, go visit the asus thread, stop posting in the sony update thread. We're so gonna get banned from tpu now i can feel it lol

discuss here http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=875849#post875849. I'm not coming back here.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
"I'd say the number of users affected was limited to the number of ps3's sold."

I didnt say every owner was affected. It was more or less just a joke. Wow.

and the link is on techpowerup's frontpage

edit:
here you go:
http://www.techpowerup.com/64653/Sony_Scraps_2.40_Playstation_3_Firmware_Update.html

You do realize no one in that thread had the problem.

From what I am reading here, you (Chron) brought up the x38/x48 chipsets in this thread....Thus, you effectively took this thread off topic for the second time.

chron

You do realize no one in that thread had the problem.

From what I am reading here, you (Chron) brought up the x38/x48 chipsets in this thread....Thus, you effectively took this thread off topic for the second time.

No, I was only pointing it out as an example of his hypocrisy (as he tried to tear me a new one for my statement in the first post) not as a lead to a discussion.