• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RealTemp 2.60 Handle Leak?

oralpain

Recently, I've been experiencing "application has failed to initialize properly" errors and corrupt sound drivers during lengthy Prime95 runs. I use RealTemp to keep track of CPU temp during these tests.

Searching for a solution, I increased the desktop heap size (under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Session Manager -> SubSystems -> Windows), and this did delay the errors, but did not eliminate them.

Playing around some more, I noticed that the number of handles in Task Manager was higher than I had ever seen. So, I enabled the Handles tab under processes, and I found this:

Upon closing RealTemp, the handles returned to normal:

Am I the only person who has encountered this problem?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Try out the latest beta version of RealTemp and it should fix this problem.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

Download the file, unzip it and copy the new RealTemp.exe into your present RealTemp directory. Let me know if you are still having problems.

Here is how version 2.69.1 looks after a brief test.

After 3 hours there are still no signs of too many Handles being created.

The Memory Usage displayed by Task Manager changes while using RealTemp but it definitely should not have grown to over 13,000 K as it did in your screen shot. Peak Memory Usage is typically around 4,000 K max and Mem Usage is usually about 1,500 K.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I should have RealTemp 2.70 available for download from TechPowerUp later this week.

Last edited:

oralpain

The beta seems to be working great. 2.5MiB of memory usage, and 24 handles, neither number moving at all.

Thanks again.