• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel G45 Blu-Ray Playback Acceleration Imperfect, Buck Passed on to Software

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
It's been a few weeks since Intel launched its latest chipset with integrated graphics, the Intel G45. Among other things, Intel claimed this chipset accelerated HD video formats such as Blu-ray, where the integrated graphics logic is supposed to off-load the CPU of processing the video. Such as it is, Intel's integrated graphics processors (IGP) have been hugely reliant on the CPU for its functions.

Aaron Brezenski, a product engineer for Intel at its Chandler, Arizona US facility. In his recent blog entry (read here), he writes about the G45 not exactly achieving what it set out for, in other words, it was "still imperfect". He mentions about AMD hosting a demo booth where it was publicly demonstrated that a G45 based notebook made by HP failed to accelerate Blu-ray playback, the processor tipped 100% load throughout the playback which isn't what G45 is intended to bring about.

On the other hand, AMD claims its integrated graphics processors (namely AMD 740G, 780V, 780G) performed Blu-ray playback without this issue. Brezenski quashed AMD's study saying they didn't mention which processors they used, which Intel disapproves saying it wasn't an apples to apples comparison, but did buy their findings that despite the presence of G45, the processors peaked in utilization indicating the G45 was caught napping at its desk. A certain review ExtremeTech did of an Intel DG45ID motherboard came up with the same findings as those postulated by AMD.

Brezenski says that his sources have told him that the low HD HQV test scores were the result of a software player issue. Brezenski says that properly configured advanced de-interlacing would raise scores 20 points higher, and while he admits those scores are still not perfect, he says they are workable. Brezenski hopes driver tweaks will help improve performance even more in the future.

The critical flaws however, according to Brezenski are that when accelerating video using Arcsoft Total Media Player (in which acceleration is found to work, with CPU usage staying around 20%), it is found that the G45 is stuttering every 15 seconds when playing Blu-ray at 24 Hz, and that the G45 isn't able to pass 7.1 channel digital audio to a receiver. Keeping in mind the number of home theater PC users likely to use the G45 chipset and using AV receivers in their home theaters, this one issue will be a deal killer, reason being that while passing video and audio over HDMI makes it HDCP capable, the audio routed out to the receivers wouldn't be 7.1 channel.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Right. Somehow I doubt Intel will ever get their graphics right on their own. They'd have to buy NVIDIA or some other experienced GPU maker to achieve this, IMO. For as long as I know Intel their graphics have been quite sh!tty. Numerous hardware compatibility errors (HUGE ones!), anemic performance and software drivers that ain't worth a d@mn. I don't believe Larrabee will change this fact. If it does, I will take back what I said and it'll truly be a new era for Intel graphics. Hopefully those benefits will trickle down to their IGP's as well.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Dont knock Intel's IGPs so hard. They are pretty good for 2D desktop, using low power, costing less than $5, requiring no active cooling. Works for their designed purpose IMO.

For 3D Intel has been out of the market. Larrabee looks interesting, although still high power consumption for comparable GPU performance. HOWEVER, use that power for regular multitasking and there is an enormous winner there.

Remember, that with Windows 7, your taskmanager will show 36 CPUs or more with Larrable when running a 2D desktop. (4 on your quad and 32 on your larrabee GPPU). Just imagine what you can do with that!

When running a DirectX game, we'll still have to see how that will perform.

The G45 is pretty embarassing if it cant accelerate video codecs properly. But AMD may only have a short window to gloat. Intel could be pretty dangerous if it designs a new mainboard concept with main CPU socket and a second socket NOT for a second CPU but for a Larrabee, ala x87 style, using Quick Path between it and the CPU. That would be an absolute monster, where depending on how you used your machine, you could plug in a 8-way, 16-way, 32-way or 64-way Larrabee.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name MSI apache ge62 2qd
Processor intel i7 5700HQ
Memory 12 Gb
Video Card(s) GTX960m
Storage 1TB
Display(s) Dell 24'

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
On the other hand, AMD claims its integrated graphics processors (namely AMD 740G, 780V, 780G) performed Blu-ray playback without this issue. Brezenski quashed AMD's study saying they didn't mention which processors they used, which Intel disapproves saying it wasn't an apples to apples comparison, but did buy their findings that despite the presence of G45, the processors peaked in utilization indicating the G45 was caught napping at its desk. A certain review ExtremeTech did of an Intel DG45ID motherboard came up with the same findings as those postulated by AMD.

Apples to Apples...and just because they didn't mention CPU? ROFL. Captain Obvious to the rescue, AMD would have used...AMD processors since 740G/780V/780G support only AMD processors, and AMD's dual-core mobile chips are any way weaker than those Core 2 Duo's right? So, using weaker processors, they rubbish G45 saying a claimed feature doesn't work, and that CPU 100% throughout playback proves it and Intel doesn't buy this? OTOH ExtremeTech separately come to the same conclusion albeit they didn't use a comparison to prove it.

Dont knock Intel's IGPs so hard. They are pretty good for 2D desktop, using low power, costing less than $5, requiring no active cooling. Works for their designed purpose IMO.

G45 is supposed to be a flagship product, of the kind that makes it to HTPCs etc. Besides, Blu Ray acceleration was an unconditional feature (unconditional = you shouldn't need some random software only to get this to work, any Blu-Ray software should use it).

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
i don't think blue ray work need this much

Memory 12 Gb
Video Card(s) GTX960m
Storage 1TB
Display(s) Dell 24'
Bta hit the nail on the head.
I'm sure they'll do the same if larrabee fails.
The intel IGP's are still popular among people who don't know much about computer's.
Most laptops come with the GMA x3100 which isn't very good.
How's the Intel stock doing?

System Name Lil'Lighty
Processor Intel Core i3 530 @ Stock
Motherboard Asus P7P55D
Cooling Artic Cooling Freezer Pro Rev.2
Memory Gskill Ripjaw 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 8GB
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX650 OC 1GB
Storage WD Blue 500GB AAKS
Display(s) ASUS 20'
Case Aerocool Aeroengine II // Two 120mm Blue Fans
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster LE // Logitech X-230
Power Supply Corsair VX450W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro x64
100% CPU usage is too much. At least AMD can say that they have a good IGP to accelerate Blu-ray.

My GME965 doesn't decode any HD at all, I'm seeing 720p content with a core fully utilized.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
if anyone expects great things from the Intel IGP market I want what you smoke k?

Memory 12 Gb
Video Card(s) GTX960m
Storage 1TB
Display(s) Dell 24'

dmce

Go read up on AVSforums for some proper information on what the G45 can and cant do. The last paragraph sums up the problems with G45 in reality which are the 24p stuttering issue and the repeater bug.

It does accelerate all the HD codecs as required, and the issue in the test was due to the software used.

The reason the CPU issue is mentioned is that if you throw enough CPU power at HD material you can playback without hitting 100% or needing GFX card help (However, it will be higher than HD accelerated playback via a GFX card (IGP or otherwise)). 780G accelerates all HD material as well so i dont know what the fuss is there. The key thing 780G doesnt do is allow you to take advantage of HD audio, which is a pretty big failing as well.

If the 24p issue can be resolved and something is done about the repeater issue (which is related to intel sticking to a spec (which ati/nvidia dont) then the G45 will be the best solution for an HTPC. If they arent resolved it still has a place but not for people who want a complete solution (to which i dont think there is at the moment)

System Name pote
Processor Amd 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte b650m aorus elite ax
Cooling Thermalright peerless assasin 120 se
Memory 32gb lexar 6000 cl32
Video Card(s) AMD XFX 580 8GB
Storage Lexar 2tb nvme gen4
Display(s) asus ips 24inch 1080p, LG OLED B9 4K120
Case Antec CRAP
Audio Device(s) REALTEK CRAP
Power Supply corsair 550w vx550
Mouse microsoft PROINTELLIMOUSE
Keyboard microsoft wireless
Software win11 PRO x64
people just want their laptops to show stuff, thats the market of those intel igp crap

i just got a dell vostro 1500, i prefer to spend more on a nvidia 8400 crap than the x3100

but most people dont game on laptops, i just want to put some old games, i know 8400 is crap