• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Deliberately Retards Catalyst for FurMark

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
The only thing this shows me is that they need to raise fan speeds. Not that there's some inherent flaw in RV770 itself. This is a simple issue with a simple fix, ATI needs to get on the ball about it.

DarkMatter

Processor Intel C2Q Q6600 @ Stock (for now)
Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Cooling Proc: Scythe Mine, Graphics: Zalman VF900 Cu
Memory 4 GB (2x2GB) DDR2 Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) GigaByte 8800GT Stock Clocks: 700Mhz Core, 1700 Shader, 1940 Memory
Storage 74 GB WD Raptor 10000rpm, 2x250 GB Seagate Raid 0
Display(s) HP p1130, 21" Trinitron
Case Antec p180
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi PLatinum
Power Supply 700W FSP Group 85% Efficiency
Software Windows XP
The only thing this shows me is that they need to raise fan speeds. Not that there's some inherent flaw in RV770 itself. This is a simple issue with a simple fix, ATI needs to get on the ball about it.

IMO if the fix was that simple, they would just have done that instead of creating a modified profile for Furmark. That way they would not only fix Furmark, they would also make many people having issues on some games very happy, don't you think? Sometimes uping up the fan beyond some speeds does not help a lot if the heatsink is bad, maybe that's the case, I don't know. I really don't know, I'm just speculating, based on what I said above. Ati has had a lot of time and a handful of driver releases in which they could have totally fixed the fan speed issue. I guess there's a reason for not making it go faster. But noise? Could they risk stability or reliability just to not make the card sound like a hairdryer?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
IMO if the fix was that simple, they would just have done that instead of creating a modified profile for Furmark. That way they would not only fix Furmark, they would also make many people having issues on some games very happy, don't you think? Sometimes uping up the fan beyond some speeds does not help a lot if the heatsink is bad, maybe that's the case, I don't know. I really don't know, I'm just speculating, based on what I said above. Ati has had a lot of time and a handful of driver releases in which they could have totally fixed the fan speed issue. I guess there's a reason for not making it go faster. But noise? Could they risk stability or reliability just to not make the card sound like a hairdryer?

Its not ati but the Third parties that cant get anything right, also i believe some of these 3rd partie manufacturers have bad QA (making sure cooling is contacting everything etc) Beyond that most of these reports are for Benchwhores anyway, it doesnt seem this is a complaint about Game performance.

Last edited:

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
LOL.
I see that all the long fraustrated nv boys who bought the overpriced GTX200 series are crawling out of the woodwork to celebrate.

It is amusing to see all the nv girls are having orgasm at the same time because a shady software and a shady website.

Anyway, I ran a test because of this "news":
My setup:
An overclocked 4870 running at 820/1000 using stock cooler
Furmark 1.4.0
Windows Vista Sp1

after running two tests for 1000 seconds, i took two image.

The first image was before the name change.

The second image was after "FurMark.exe" changed to "fuckmark.exe"

As you can see, the temperaure, the load, the VDDC current remain almost the same.
Also notice that the fan is even not spinning at half of the max speed.
so much for the "overheat"
So much for the "ATI Deliberately Retards Catalyst for FurMark" :laugh:
cheers:roll:

Driver Packaging Version 8.522-080731a-067980C-ATI

Catalyst® Version 08.8

Provider ATI Technologies Inc.

2D Driver Version 7.01.01.809

2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0001

Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0603

OpenGL Version 6.14.10.7873

Catalyst® Control Center Version 2008.0731.2322.39992
Thanks for the input :toast:. The name change shows the exact same GPU load, temps and power draw.

Thanks for the info btarunr.

There's two ways to look at it.
A. Either they try to keep the majority of their cards cool and functioning. Apparently by using drivers now.
OR
B. They wind up like Nvidia with a recall level failure rate. Right now ATI/AMD can't afford that. Hell look what it did to Nvidias stock. Try and tell me ATI can handle something like that. They are just getting back into the High End competition.

B is probably the right choice but right now they can't afford it. Hopefully AMD's new CPUs will help pull them out and get them going on stable ground again. Honestly what would people rather have them do?? Seriously think about that for a minute!

And remember I'm an Nvidia fan and I still don't want to see ATI take the hit Nvidia did earlier this year.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I personally don't think it's a demerit as such. It's just a little ePenisMark application that faced the hit. HD 4870 is an asset to the computing world and it performs great with games.

My 4850 (with 3rd party cooling) can handle furmark but it certainly radically reduces the amount of OC I can apply before it artifacts

I think ATI should have put something in the release notes of 8.8 as an excuse though, because after all the specific circumstance are very limited, nothing now or in the future of games will likely do what furmark does and it's mostly an issue for OC'ed cards.

I wonder though if the companies that released pre-OC'ed cards have something to do with it, I'm guessing those cards show the same issues but you can't blame the OC'ing customer then.

I also wonder if the brand of RAM has an influence, it seems there are 2 kinds of RAM used on 4850's now and the RAM is the stuff that gets bloody hot I find, and probably heats up the rest of the card too a lot including the heatsink that sits on the VRM's

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I personally don't think it's a demerit as such. It's just a little ePenisMark application that faced the hit. HD 4870 is an asset to the computing world and it performs great with games.

It isn't about the application and the score, it is about the fact that this is evidence that the cards can't handle being put under load. The current situation in the gaming industry doesn't require that the card can handle full load in real world applications right now, but it should still be able to without problem.

Whatever the reason behind it, be it the cards over heating and needing a higher fans speed/better cooling or whatever, it is still ATi's responsibility to provide us with a quality product that will last.

Currently the cards aren't required to run at full load under normal gaming conditions, but as new games come out, the cards will be pushed harder and harder. Especially if they are required to do more than graphics, like is PhysX is offloaded to them, they are put under even more load.

Personally, I would be worried if my graphics card was unstable under load. But I am also one that doesn't like my processor to be unstable under 100% load, even if it functions perfectly except when under 100% load, and it will never really see 100% load.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
It isn't about the application and the score, it is about the fact that this is evidence that the cards can't handle being put under load. The current situation in the gaming industry doesn't require that the card can handle full load in real world applications right now, but it should still be able to without problem.

The card doesn't fail running Crysis? How much more load would you ask for?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The card doesn't fail running Crysis? How much more load would you ask for?

Crysis with PhsyX. And we don't know that some crashes in Crysis are not caused by this.

mikek75

System Name As easy as falling off a lorry
Processor Core I5 2500K auto tuned to 4.2ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
Cooling Corsair H80 sealed water cooler
Memory 16gb Gskill Ripjawz 1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6970 2GB
Storage Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD, OCZ 60 GB Agility 3 SSD, Seagate 500GB, 2x80gb Maxtors
Display(s) DELL 2309w 23" Widescreen 1920x1080+ LG M2294D 22" 1680x1050 LCDtv/monitor
Case Zalman Z9 Plus
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply PC Power&Cooling 750w Silencer Quad PCIe
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
My 4870 has NEVER crashed yet. I ran Furmark on the 8.7 drivers several times, all sucessfully! Theres far too much bitching going on about the 48xx series if you ask me. I couldn't give a monkeys about furmark, just nice to now there was a reason why the score went down with the 8.8's.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional

Whatever the reason behind it, be it the cards over heating and needing a higher fans speed/better cooling or whatever, it is still ATi's responsibility to provide us with a quality product that will last.

Currently the cards aren't required to run at full load under normal gaming conditions, but as new games come out, the cards will be pushed harder and harder. Especially if they are required to do more than graphics, like is PhysX is offloaded to them, they are put under even more load.

Personally, I would be worried if my graphics card was unstable under load. But I am also one that doesn't like my processor to be unstable under 100% load, even if it functions perfectly except when under 100% load, and it will never really see 100% load.

excatly, my old 6800GT did fine for a long time, then came games that made it stop, i played COD2 on it, and Fear Combat. I started getting over heat issues, and had to go get a better cooler than that single slot the 6800GT shipped with to fix my issues.

DarkMatter

Processor Intel C2Q Q6600 @ Stock (for now)
Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Cooling Proc: Scythe Mine, Graphics: Zalman VF900 Cu
Memory 4 GB (2x2GB) DDR2 Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) GigaByte 8800GT Stock Clocks: 700Mhz Core, 1700 Shader, 1940 Memory
Storage 74 GB WD Raptor 10000rpm, 2x250 GB Seagate Raid 0
Display(s) HP p1130, 21" Trinitron
Case Antec p180
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi PLatinum
Power Supply 700W FSP Group 85% Efficiency
Software Windows XP
excatly, my old 6800GT did fine for a long time, then came games that made it stop, i played COD2 on it, and Fear Combat. I started getting over heat issues, and had to go get a better cooler than that single slot the 6800GT shipped with to fix my issues.

Exactly! It has happened the same to me more than once, paradoxically one of the time I was with the 6800GT (Sparkle BTW).

Anyway that's the point, the one of yours and newtekie. It's not the benchmark, it's what this can tell us. The issue is not if the card is safe "on average" neither, because as I said there are many many places where the (usually rather favorable) conditions used to test the cards can't be replicated. Same for all those who say it has never failed for them. Average Joe won't have the same cooling as enthusiast here, and these cards are not only for enthusiast, thus the fact that changing the cooler or the fan speed manually, makes it run a lot better doesn't matter. For example, in some places summers are very hot and still the air is 96%+ wet. Not everybody has a centralised AC, and even if you have it, it will cost you a fortune to fight against the hot wet air of the outside. I know for sure that I don't live in the hottest and wettest place in the world, I'll be surprised if it's above the average, and still my GPU's are usually 5-10C higher on summers. That with the case opened and a big fan blowing directly to the case! Sometimes it doesn't matter how much air you throw at the thing because it has already warmed the air surrounding it and because this is wet it doesn't circulate as well as it would do on "normal" air (what is normal anyway?). That's just one of the possibilities.

Another good point is that as the card ages it will go worse. Not only because they inherently go worse, but most importantly because the verage joe never cleans the dust on interior of the case and the heatsinks. If the cards with one month of life are failing (and don't say it only happens on this benchmark) what will happen next year?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

Exactly. If you are a die-hard furmark benchmarking enthusiast, might as well get two GTX280's. I didn't buy my 48xx series cards just for some OpenGL benchmark that does nothing but torture your cards to death.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
yeah, i love how they try to keep the fanspeed as low as possible, even though the card is running 100c.....

my friend had the same problem with his 8800gt, fan speed would not budge automatically, playing crysis the screen scrambles red and comp freezes cuz gpu's at 115c--fanspeed would stay at 40%. yeah, he could manually turn fanspeed up, but then you gotta do that always.... so he got that xigmatek hdt for it, it never passes 60c now...

my 3870 has the zerotherm cooler on it that things pretty nice.... i dont see why reference doesnt include a heatpipe.....

its like they go out of their way to find the absolute biggest bunch of idiots to come up with a plan for reference coolers... and pick the worst plan of the bunch. why even bother making a card if you cant cool it right?

the fault lies mostly with ati and nvidia, i think they need to make a WAY better reference, no reference at all, or chill out with the huge cards... manufacturers like xfx, powercolor, asus, they put the good coolers on because nobody will buy a reference card.

it would be nice to keep it all reference, that means cheaper for everybody anyways... reference coolers, single slot anyways, have been done since the 2900's came out, and they keep getting worse... a company puts together 15,000 reference cards, tests them, and like 75% probably fail, of that 75% like 50% get sent out anyways probably so they dont lose their ass, and now everybody is pissed off at ati again... ahaha

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
If this is happening at stock speeds, I still say upping the fan speeds would completely fix the problem. They really need to get on that, and quit worrying about silence. It's ridiculous.

As for those that are saying "it's just one benchmark", what if a game releases that requires the same amount of processing power? Then it does become a real issue. So saying "it's only one application", is no real excuse.

Now, if this is only OCed cards this is happening to, or some non-reference designs, then ATI isn't to blame at all. They put forth a reference, and they are not responsible for other manufacturers choices when they decide to deviate from that.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I didn't know that a 4800 series was suppose to give the same score when the ID is changed to another.

yes the scores will be the same unless furmark asks the driver "hello there little card, so alone? what is your name?" and then picks a different render path/quality settings based on manufacturer and/or device (happens in many games, but not in furmark afaik).

strange stuff. It will be interesting to see how the 48x0 series lasts in the long run. Cost cutting to hit that $200 price point, methinks.

I

insider

This is a fan speed issue that exists with both nVidia and ATI cards, damn manufacturers throttling the fan to insanely low speeds for such cheap crap slim profile coolers just doesn't cut it.

The easy solution is to use Rivaturner and set the fan to 100%, people shouldn't need to do this!

I only buy cards with slim coolers if I plan to bin the piece of junk immediately and replace it with something beefy like a thermalright VGA cooler, otherwise I would only buy cards with a decent two slot cooler.

bubba_000

System Name Packard Bell MV86-003
Processor Core 2 Duo T5500
Motherboard MV86
Memory 2 GB DDR2 667
Video Card(s) Mobility Radeon X1700 64 bits 128 MB DDR2
Storage 100GB @ 5400 RPM
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Software Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
I just looked at the furmark homepage and the app is just 1.4 MB. sorry if i sound stupid, but ca a tyni program like this really stress a GPU more than, say Crysis or 3dmark06 and fry it?

And can't artifacts appear because of bugs in the program? For example, when i play mass effect on my radeon x1700-based laptop i sometimes get some flickering in the water ONLY in the virmire facility. I went through some intense combat scenes whitout any issues, so overheating is clearly not the case.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
This is a fan speed issue that exists with both nVidia and ATI cards, damn manufacturers throttling the fan to insanely low speeds for such cheap crap slim profile coolers just doesn't cut it.

The easy solution is to use Rivaturner and set the fan to 100%, people shouldn't need to do this!

I only buy cards with slim coolers if I plan to bin the piece of junk immediately and replace it with something beefy like a thermalright VGA cooler, otherwise I would only buy cards with a decent two slot cooler.

My fan on the 1950 Doesnt do what these current ones do and its a slim cooler.

Yes it only takes a small program to run it at max (shows as high stress in gpu-z too), and no it's not such bug-artefacts, the furmark ones disappear if you reduce your overclock, and don't show at all on 4870 people report, plus they look like typical overstressing artefacts, glitches and colored squares and such
Oh and furmark also rapidly heats up the temperature of the GPU which again shows it's really taxing it.

The thing with games is that it displays all kinds of objects and textures and waits for the AI and events in the game, whereas furmark just runs some very tight shaderprograms in loops in the GPU itself so it uses it at max but doesn't use all functions of the GPU like a game does I expect, that's why it's not a big worry in gaming because games are unlikely to stress a GPU in just that way in such a localised loop, however when the GPU would be used for only calculations like CUDA does on nvidia it might be an issue, but then you can just reduce the load a bit and not run it at 100% I guess.
Makes you wonder if ATI's folding client cause undue stress, you would not see it since it doesn't push the results to a display at full speed, but I guess if that was an issue people would notice it since the client would notice calculation errors and their scores would drop.

Last edited:
I

insider

My fan on the 1950 Doesnt do what these current ones do and its a slim cooler.

Exactly, it shows the slim cheap and nasty single slot coolers just doesn't cut it with today's generation of powerful high end graphics cards, I had an 8800GT that I RMA'd twice and still the same overheating problems (yes it works with the fan set to 100% but still too hot), the solution was to replace it with an expensive Thermalright cooler! :banghead:

We are paying for the card and a cooler pre-installed that is just not up to the job of keeping the GPU cool enough (no >70C full load nonsense!), I would rather they sell bare cards as well for say £10 cheaper than one with a fitted fan, left up to the customer to purchase their own cooler, it isn't any more difficult than fitting a 3rd party CPU cooler on a mobo anyway...

To make matters worse they throttle those crappy fan speed to ~40% on those coolers, retards! :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Exactly, it shows the slim cheap and nasty single slot coolers just doesn't cut it with today's generation of powerful high end graphics cards, I had an 8800GT that I RMA'd twice and still the same overheating problems (yes it works with the fan set to 100% but still too hot), the solution was to replace it with an expensive Thermalright cooler! :banghead:

We are paying for the card and a cooler pre-installed that is just not up to the job of keeping the GPU cool enough (no >70C full load nonsense!), I would rather they sell bare cards as well for say £10 cheaper than one with a fitted fan, left up to the customer to purchase their own cooler, it isn't any more difficult than fitting a 3rd party CPU cooler on a mobo anyway...

To make matters worse they throttle those crappy fan speed to ~40% on those coolers, retards! :cry:

mine hasnt overheated, and only time i hear the fan is during boot Continuous high speed until it hits windows (i guess it does a reliability check or something) then it slows down, during gaming i dont hear it and the card is well within temperature specs, i guess the newer cards sensors are too sensitive that why they adjust too quickly. I also recall expensive coolers (dual slot) being for the overclocker, not for stock cooling. Also reason they do sell the cards with fans is because they will not cover warranty when people buy non factory fans from 3rd parties, basically meaning if you try to send a card in with the aftermarket cooler they will not cover it (Excluding just a finger full of companies)

Last edited: