• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Updates Chip Package Materials, 55nm GPUs subject to Changes too

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Ok, let's try again. The problem isn't the solder as such, the problem that Nvidia is having is that in a notebook, the GPU is heated up and cooled down very frequently, especially as the fans in a notebook are generally set to produce as little noise as possible. This is why some notebook manufacturers have issued BIOS updates, but if you install these BIOS updates, you'll get more fan noise, as the fan will be running at lower temperatures and most likely run at full speed at lower temperatures than before.

This cycle of heating and cooling, with a huge temperature difference within a reasonably short time span is what has caused the solder to crack which in turn has caused the GPU cores to lose connection with the chip packaging. We're not talking the whole GPU losing connection with the graphics card PCB or motherboard PCB here, but rather the tiny little thing ontop of the chip packaging and that's where the problem is.

The same problem could occur on a desktop card, but as desktop cards have a bigger cooler and generally doesn't heat up and cool down as quickly, nor as often as a notebook GPU, it's highly unlikely that anyone will encounter their graphics card failing because of this problem. Yes, it could happen if you turn on and off your system and run some intense 3D application and you repeat this every 10-15min, but I don't know anyone that use their PC in this way.

Nvidia still mucked up and there are potentially a lot of notebooks that could fail because of this, but the question is how many and how soon...

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
If there are 1000 GeForce users and 100 Radeon users, if 20 Radeon cards fail, it becomes a big issue, cause for concern...but if 20 GeForce cards fail, it isn't as big, a smaller proportion failed. Part of Charlie's usual poop-o-rama was that NV goes bankrupt if it's made to replace existing G92 parts. Take it with a crate of salt.

Be optimistic, my G92 survived the Indian summer of 45 C room-temp (when the AC failed for a week). It's full of heart.

right my friend me too , but sometimes go over 50C my room-temp in iraq and my card temp is 60C go up 70C to 75c when i run games

DarkMatter

Processor Intel C2Q Q6600 @ Stock (for now)
Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Cooling Proc: Scythe Mine, Graphics: Zalman VF900 Cu
Memory 4 GB (2x2GB) DDR2 Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) GigaByte 8800GT Stock Clocks: 700Mhz Core, 1700 Shader, 1940 Memory
Storage 74 GB WD Raptor 10000rpm, 2x250 GB Seagate Raid 0
Display(s) HP p1130, 21" Trinitron
Case Antec p180
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi PLatinum
Power Supply 700W FSP Group 85% Efficiency
Software Windows XP
right my friend me too , but sometimes go over 50C my room-temp in iraq and my card temp is 60C go up 70C to 75c when i run games

Now compare those temps, with my card that is exactly the same one as yours. It tops out around 60-65 on hottests summer days. Now extrapolate that difference to HD4xxx cards and you will understand what I was talking about.

EDIT: Ups I thought this post was on the Ati Furmark thread. I had both threads opened at the same time and you had the last post on both IIRC. Anyway it's what I was taling about in that thread. ;)

Last edited: