• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Scythe Announces Kama Reader 2

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Upgraded version of 2-Way Usage, Internal or External Compact Card Reader has arrived. Direct insertion of microSD & Memory Stick Micro is the new feature for this upgraded version. Precise fit into the 3.5inch bay of your PC case or use this as external card reader device with easy-plug-in USB connection for notebook PC users. Compatibility is ready for most of the media available in the market. The reader supports a plethora of formats, it comes in white and black colours, and supports Windows XP/2000/Vista and Mac OS X. For more information, please visit the product page here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Phantom Drives...

In the past I have purchased & thrown away a number of such devices, as installing one has always resulted in 5 or 6 "Phantom" drive letters appearing in "My Computer" (One for every available card slot)

For reasons numerous & un-entertaining, these phantom drives cause all sorts of hell for me, as I am a very technical user that does a lot of connecting and disconnecting of drives, and file recovery scanning and such - and these permanently available & perpetually inaccessible drive letters cause havoc with the various software packages I use.

I have seen similar controllers that have been provided with pre-built ps'c in the past that do NOT create phantom drives, and only create a drive letter once a memory card is inserted.

I wonder which way this device works?

The only problem is that every device I have ever purchased (Separate from a Pre-Built PC) has used Phantoms & I'm really getting sick of throwing money away just to find out it does ....

connecting such "N in 1" card reader necesserally create N drives as you know already. Unless you use several flash cards types, why don't you deactivate the uneeded drives in the hardware properties, so that there's only those you want available and mapped in the explorer ?

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
connecting such "N in 1" card reader necesserally create N drives as you know already. Unless you use several flash cards types, why don't you deactivate the uneeded drives in the hardware properties, so that there's only those you want available and mapped in the explorer ?

I agree with that also, every time one connects such a reader the amount of new drives in My Computer will equal the number of sockets on the drive. For example, i used to own a Mitsumi floppy and 6 in 1 reader combo, it had 2 card sockets yet it supported 5 diffrent card formats, but only 2 drives were added to My Computer which corresponded to 2 sockets. I personally didn't have the problems accessing the 2 newly found drives when a card was inserted, i supppose it depends on the manufacturer/firmware, etc. As blobster21 said, simply disable the unneeded drives, that should keep them to minimum.

Well, I did try to explain it very clearly - let me try again.

I have had 3 similar devices - and all of them have created as many "drives" as there are slots on the face to insert cards into, all of which are invalid, as there is no actual media in each slot - causing many and varied complications with a wide array of software.

It's not a matter of DISABLING the drives - as the drives ARE the device - If you disable them - nothing happens when you insert a card rendering the device useless.

I have used drive bay card readers (as I previously explained) from pre-assembled pc's - readers that are not available as separate units retail (and hence I cannot simply buy more of that exact type) , that look & function the same, however do not spawn any Phantom drive letters at all - and only show up as a drive letter (For example : in "My Computer" ) when one inserts a memory card, much as you'd expect when plugging in a flash drive. Similarly - when you remove the SD Card (for example) the drive letter it had been assigned again disappears, leaving no inaccessible drive letters in the list.

These sadly belong in the pc's they shipped with, and I was hoping to add a similar card reader, with the same behavioral traits ( IE : No Phantom Drive letters ) to a pc that did NOT ship with one such card reader.

Reviews of card readers never seem to mention weather or not that particular reader uses Phantom's or not (As we have established that some devices do NOT need to create them)

Sorry KBD, I do also get what you are saying about keeping them to a minimum, however even 1 false drive is too many - as this can cause a number of drive integrity management softwares to report failed drives when there isn't one :\

And crash a bus-scan

so this device behaves pretty much like an ordinary usb key, ie there's no remaining driver letter left once the usb key is ejected. That's interesting indeed

i never had one of these myself, just the regular one....

I sure hope the blue LED on this version 2 is a lot dimmer than the one on the first version. This thing lights my room up at night...

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
In the past I have purchased & thrown away a number of such devices, as installing one has always resulted in 5 or 6 "Phantom" drive letters appearing in "My Computer" (One for every available card slot)

For reasons numerous & un-entertaining, these phantom drives cause all sorts of hell for me, as I am a very technical user that does a lot of connecting and disconnecting of drives, and file recovery scanning and such - and these permanently available & perpetually inaccessible drive letters cause havoc with the various software packages I use.

I have seen similar controllers that have been provided with pre-built ps'c in the past that do NOT create phantom drives, and only create a drive letter once a memory card is inserted.

I wonder which way this device works?

The only problem is that every device I have ever purchased (Separate from a Pre-Built PC) has used Phantoms & I'm really getting sick of throwing money away just to find out it does ....

I have to agree with the Phantom drive issue. I hate it. To get around it, I use an external reader, and unplug it when not in use. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

Did you ever consider trying to take one of those OEM card readers you are referring to from the PC it came with and putting it in yours? I'm sure you can find somebody with a dead Dell, Gateway, etc. that you take one out of.