• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.
robot zombie
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings System Specs About

• You only get so many chances to do something good for someone you care about. One day you'll all be gone.

Too often I think people forget that's really how it goes. Life's too short to lose those chances to stress.
    B
    basco
    your comments are nearly all a good read
    i had to look that up. don't know if i get it because of me not being very philosophical and\or blockheaded:
    Utilitarianism is an ethical and philosophical theory that states that the best action is the one that maximizes utility, which is usually defined as that which produces the greatest well-being of the greatest number of people, and in some cases, sentient animals
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    You got it! It's not quite an answer to the bare meaninglessness of existence but it is a nice alternative. And usually it means more than enough to make that darker reality a smaller part of something bigger than you. Make something better now and you don't worry so much about what you know comes later. And you never regret it, either. Just cuz the road ends one day doesn't mean you stop moving forward today :)
    B
    basco
    love your last sentence!
    Can somebody explain cubicles to me?

You all cram into this big expensive building with all of these rules that basically mean "pretend the cubicle is all there is and bother nobody," right? You sit all day and try to focus in this loud ass space.

Why? At that point, everyone could be comfortably doing the same work at home without the cost/morale-hit of a big, shitty office environment.
    Reactions: windwhirl
    Tatty_Two
    Tatty_Two
    There are definitely balances to have between the WFH and collective environments, in my last job before I retired last year I ran a team of 45 people with ongoing recruitment, it is very difficult to build a really good and effective evolving team if they rarely physically see each other apart from on a PC screen but we had flexible working and on average, staff worked from home 2-3 days a week.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    I could never do an office job... or even WFH. Gotta be on my feet and getting my hands dirty or I start losing it. Not wired for anything else.

The social element is important... I just don't understand when they pack everyone in a room just to work by themselves. Make that commute every day just to sit in a cubicle, talk to nobody, and try fruitlessly to concentrate. Seems kinda counter productive.
    W
    windwhirl
    Cubicles are something I would not be able to tolerate. have my own office for myself (35 square meters), and although people come and go between other offices through my own, I don't want to give it up, ever.
    If I ever become stupid rich, it will be my dream to build a vacuum tube computer that can run Crysis. That wing of my compound can also double as a homeless shelter for the whole tri-county in the wintertime. :D

It would probably have to be so big you could see it glowing from satellites.

The more I think about this, the more I really need for this to happen.
    R-T-B
    R-T-B
    You'd probably end up cooking the homeless but it's the thought that counts, right? :laugh:
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    EXACTLY.

As long as they don't get too close, they should be fine. Mostly because if they get too close, there will be traps. If you get close enough to be burned alive, that's an honor!

Come to think of it, I think the filaments are coated to mostly give off infrared a lot of times, so it would indeed be toasty enough for toast.
    Reactions: R-T-B
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    The ones they'll really have to watch are the mercury vapor rectifiers I'd use for all DC power needs. They have a lovely blue glow. The cathode just happens to be liquid mercury. But you won't worry about breaking them. Just the UV burning the eyes and skin.
    Reactions: R-T-B
    Two days in a row off is such a needed thing.

Up until a coupla years ago, most jobs I worked had the two off days spread across the week.

It seems okay, but I don't really feel recharged till Sunday. Gotta have that second day! You don't realize when you don't have it.
    Welp, Windows update broke ASUS Aura. Getting Aura working last time required some registry changes and system stuff that probably just got changed back.

Until I decide that's how I want to spend my time, it's rainbow light show over here! Is that a new feature? :p
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    So I uninstalled it, fished around for any lingering files (such as configs in x86 folder,) rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted... and then the software worked, but one RAM stick didn't light. So I shut down and did a hard power off. Fixed it.

People on ASUS forums are actually doing fresh installs to fix this. Imagine doing that, just for RGB! :laugh: I feel bad. Maybe I'm just lucky.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    People these days don't understand the ways of the wonk. They want definitive answers when stuff goes funny, like everything must mean something. Sometimes it's just dumb shit. Smack the TV and get on with life.:pimp:
    What kind or genre of music do you enjoy listening to the most?
    biffzinker
    biffzinker
    Nvm, I forgot about the Mike's Music Club thread in the Lounge.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Haha, well either way - I grew up on rock, prog, pop, soul, and R&B classics. My mom had the big record shelf packed full of that stuff. On my own metal comes first. Aggressive and/or conscious hip-hop to mix it up. A bunch of weird electronic music too. For a good few years I was big into classical and film scores. 19th century is my favorite - if I had to choose one it would be Chopin.
    I hope the day will come when pinterest disappears forever.

It's basically just spam in my google image results. It's everything that's bad about social media... in sheer mechanics and tactics.
    R-T-B
    R-T-B
    No ones ready for the real world, man. We just cope with the trauma differently.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Mine is sarcastic cynicism. Most know I'll be the last one making it about me when things get truly heavy. It's funny to watch some be confused when I seem deeply bothered by nothing, or believe I sincerely don't care. Rubs them the wrong way, because they don't notice how different what I say and how I act really is. Shows where their focus is. It takes a lot to legitimately bother me. I'm like a Slowpoke. I use it.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Though obviously over text it's a bit different and nobody can be sure what I'm really thinking lol
    Man... I'm on a 3-night streak of proper sleep and it is throwing me off. I feel... too human and I can't deal.

I've been stricken by insomnia since I hit puberty. At best, it's like constant low-grade intoxication. I would always romanticize the night to cope, so I feel a little at odds when I suddenly don't have that. Me with sleep ain't me at this point. It's bittersweet o_O
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    How stupid? I got engaged once... If I really think about it I can probably do something at least as dumb again. That will take time I might not have though. Already I can feel the normalcy coursing through my veins. Maybe I need drugs. That seems to work pretty well for some folks.
    biffzinker
    biffzinker
    What's wrong with being normal even if your not use to feeling like a normal person should?
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Nothing, actually. Sleep dep is a total net loss. I've felt great all week. You don't realize how much you lose until you have that little breath of air.

I have the problem of being a confusing mix of very candid and sarcastically cynical.
    I just popped into spotify (already open) and found it playing generic rap with the volume muted... on repeat. Time to change all my passwords again! Even though I've only ever seen this behavior with spotify. Annoying to overhaul just for that.

Bruh I know you're tryin to pop n shit but this is NOT how you get plays.
    • Haha
    Reactions: lexluthermiester
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Prince Japan is up to 8000 odd plays now, from around the world. And yet have zero online presence outside of spotify.
    biffzinker
    biffzinker
    I logged into Spotify on Monday after six months of no activity, and everything was as I had left it except for the generated playlists.

Still using the automatic generated password from LastPass when I first created the account. May not be the smartest thing to do since it's a good idea to rotate the password.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Haha, yeah, that's most people. But no matter what I do, this sort of thing happens to me once a year. And spotify has never given a real answer on their forums.

They're crafty, too. People think changing their PW stops it, but oftentimes they catch that you've noticed and stop whether you do anything or not, or simply only do it for a little while. I've tested this - it will eventually stop on its own.
    I drink anywhere from 2-4 cups of strong coffee per day. Or other times I'll have 2-3 energy drinks.

So why is it that when I drink ONE of any k-cup that I get jacked as all hell and feel like shit? I tell people this and it's like they don't believe me. They ruin me.

What are they putting in these things?
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Spiked pods exist, but they always have to tell you. I think it was just cheap shitty coffee in there. I think that's a lot of k-cup pods, doused in flavor to hide it. Tastes like flavored melting heat shrink. It just felt dirty. Ever just feel instantly 'spun'?

Robusta is like that. Tastes like rubber, with 2-3 times more caff.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Alcohol... I don't know. I used to enjoy it a lot, but the effects just aren't for me anymore. Every now and then I can enjoy it a bit. Or if it's that kind of situation I can get down with it, but otherwise I'm not into it, save for the odd IPA. Plus, I live in Florida, where MMJ is quasi-legal. All I'm gonna say. ;)
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    I think I need to just avoid k-cups at all costs. I'm at a point with caffeine where I don't ever fall off it like that... I know my level... until I have a single kuerig. It's just strange to me.
    My god does sign on delivery suck. I work the entire time USPS drops off packages. And I work for the 4 HOURS they're open for pickup. In fact, I don't know anybody I trust enough who doesn't.

I don't get it. Sellers do it to protect themselves right? But why are they liable for the package after it's been confirmed as picked up by the carrier? They have no control over what happens after...
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Found a discussion from amazon vendors, basically confirming to me that some of them are dicks that do not care about your convenience, only their protection.

robot zombie
    robot zombie
    It's like in their minds there's no way ANYBODY could work through all of their carrier's delivery window. Must be nice to live in their world...

I still just don't get why they have to pay me if somebody steals my package off of my porch. That's the real problem.
    R-T-B
    R-T-B
    It's not a law stating that, it's the amazon marketplace rules. Their court, their game.
    Haa, I just snapped my finger randomly (some weird tick I sometimes have when I'm concentrating) and it happened to line up right on time with a finger snap in the song I was listening to.

Never even heard the song, and it was the only snap. I barely noticed that I did it.

Should I try my luck at pool tonight? Heh.
    So today, I got over to the folks to play the RF-82 ii's I got mom for Christmas.

I started to crank them and the high hats fell halfway out of the ceiling.

Dual 8-inch woofers were the right choice. Bad-ass. Can't believe they're only $600/pair.
    I swear, t-shirt manufacturers don't believe in skinny people. I buy a pack of smalls and they're all like "OH SURRRRREEE you're a small *wink* we gotcha."

And then they make sure they fit me like a slutty club dress that's two sizes too big. Like I must be the last skinny person in America and everyone else is lying to themselves.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Weirdly, it's been a recent change, where they've all started doing this. I have much older shirts from the same brands that fit as well as they always did. A small has always been just slightly snug. While the same exact same ones bought now will generally be a full size larger and hang off.

It's like a conspiracy by these companies to make people feel better when they buy their brands. o_O
    I made a really long youtube comment about love. Something came over me and I think I channeled something beautiful and inspiring that someone might need... something I think people could stand to see in the world. Something bigger than me. It was real. I felt it. And a lot of people would've saw it.

But youtube hung while posting and lost it forever... so now I'm trying very hard to stick to what I wrote <_<
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Hah, very flattering. I've definitely got the volume part. But I am terrible at curation. I'd need a copy-editor to clean up my convoluted messes. Or maybe it's better that way? :p I don't know what people like about my writing. Writing some sort of book is definitely something I need to do before I die, though. I'll probably just start collecting material and see if I can't find a good way to tie it all together.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    A novel, I'm not sure I have to give. I could see my book having some narratives thrown in, but I don't think I could write a book that is nearly all narrative. Though I could write one about many things. Someone told me I could write a book about nothing and they'd still enjoy reading it. Maybe that's more doable than one would think. Maybe showcase ways of thinking, with topics/stories being the fodder. *shrugs*
    witkazy
    witkazy
    Maybe stream of conciousness is Your style, it is a thing don't worry about it and editors gotta eat too :D
    I'm often fascinated by things happening in the world, but sometimes I have to be careful with politics and just... forming opinions.

It's like a mind virus, mann. Terrible ideas start to creep into your mind and ultimately you wind up subconsciously alienating yourself from different people... and you feel good about that.

And then you snap out of it and it's like "Where have I just been? What WAS that?"
    Reactions: Vayra86
    Vayra86
    Vayra86
    God damn 420 char limit.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Hah, now you know how I feel constantly! I agree with your points. Your replies always make me want to dig deeper. Cheers for that! When I say it alienates you, I mean in your mind. It messes with what you think of people as a whole and can trickle into your choices in ways that aren't obvious. Well to other people they are, but not to you.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    You have to look around and construct a value system, though. My complaint is that our current political discourse has largely turned into... something else. Something not healthy or productive. Or even relevant in our actual lives. You go in for answers and come out poisoned instead. More than I can fit in 42000 characters! :p
    So... I learned today that Wal-Mart registers will actually run out of memory and hard lock if there are too many items on a transaction. Can't do nothin with it.

I didn't know that was still possible lol
    I don't know if it's Amazon that is hurting Walmart or what but their selection is getting poorer and poorer. Last Saturday I was in the local Walmart and they don't even carry Rice-A-Roni anymore. I have heard Amazon plans to launch a chain of brick and mortar grocery stores. That will possibly hurt Walmart pretty bad.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    I think Amazon beat them at their own game. High volume, low margin, branch-out, with money moving through as many channels as possible. Walmart is becoming the middleman people don't need anymore. Not to mention Amazon's shareholders seem remarkably okay with all-growth, no-profit year after year. In many ways Amazon is already devouring them, the same way Wal-Mart once devoured other types of businesses.
    Vayra86
    Vayra86
    ..and in comes Aliexpress, with more volume than Walmart and Amazon combined...

I shop there from time to time, its a horrible experience, reading this it must be a lot like Walmart indeed
    My favorite thing to see in comments is where someone makes a point that's obviously pure opinion and somebody has to point out that they forgot to say "IMO" on the end, as though not doing so is somehow dishonest or it being an opinion invalidates it.

Do people think that's a legit counter or something? Or just not know how conversations work? I see it all of the time in youtube comments.
    Sigh... Thanksgiving nets me a 4-day weekend. I had a lot of different things I could've done with the time, but I crashed so hard I slept 12 hours every night. The bags under my eyes are almost gone, even! The skin is all tight and smooth... it's amazing.

Usually I'd feel guilty, but this time of year, being able to do that is a blessing. Can't stand holiday burnout.
    All week, I've had a Ryzen 9 just sitting patiently on my desk, just teasing me. Tomorrow is finally the day! I'll deep-clean, update my bios, and see what happens. AGH THE SUSPENSE I CANNNNN'T...

I guess I better try to go to bed early so the boot fairy will come to bless my mobo.
    Sometimes I have trouble staying motivated... trying to hold onto some semblance of hope for the world.

But then I remember that in just a few years, Gamestop will be but a distant memory for all of us here on planet Earth... I must outlive them.
    Reactions: Lorec
    R-T-B
    R-T-B
    I insist on living until my brain can be safely merged with the massively superior frog race, so I can lead them in their takeover of earth ala planet of the apes.

After that, I can finally rest.
    Space Lynx
    Space Lynx
    You could buy my Asgard 2, that would make you happy again. :clap:
    I don't know why I'm so apprehensive in getting my 3900x on Tuesday when I already know I won't be dropping it in till next Saturday...
    Reactions: potato580+
    potato580+
    potato580+
    oh okey sounds complicated, i dont rly get it hehe, so basiclly is worth paying for lastest one okey thx for the tips:D
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    If the difference in price is small, basically yeah it's worth it :p
    potato580+
    potato580+
    yes somehow the gap is so close here, only need extra $5-$10 for each generation, i think i will go for an 3600 as aupgrade target yes thx:)
    You know it's been a good day when you say to a friend "Do you keep backups? I have a backup..." and have it actually mean something, as well as be totally appropriate for the current situation.

No really, it should finish verifying soon - yesterday's C: drive backup. I'll run it before bed. While I'm busy attempting to enter tomorrow, my system drive will be trying to return to yesterday! ;)
    Reactions: biffzinker
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    "If you can't restore what was lost, then go back in time." Is that a line from a love song? Well, I suppose that like with love, the laws of the universe don't apply to software. They say that those things work in mysterious ways.

Funny how losing one file on a drive can be such a major setback. I feel like that's mostly only true for two things: gaming and in movies, for most people. But you don't think about it.
    When your pee starts leaving the whole bathroom smelling like a fresh pot of coffee brewing, you know you're drinking too much coffee.
    W
    windwhirl
    Better coffee than some other things I got the "pleasure" of smelling. A couple of years ago, I had a co-worker that usually ate very spiced food (like almost more spice/condiments than food). I never said anything but the smell of spice in the kitchenette, all around him and even on the phone handset (which we shared) pissed me off. And I heard some horrible things about the bathroom.
    R-T-B
    R-T-B
    I eat Siracha like Ketchup.

My bathroom is my business.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    @biffzinker you say that like 2 pots is too much... :(

@windwhirl that's alright, I had a boss that was really into shellfish and crab. Everyone's reaction walking near his office was the same... "OOOOOOOWwwwww...! Damn! SEAfood!" And he'd just chuckle. I think he did it on purpose.
    Oooof... set up a new 55' desk today. Which is awesome... but wow I now understand why you don't put studio monitors flat on the desk. The entire desk resonates and it sounds ROUGH. Oooo! I can feel it under my hands.

I see pictures of people doing this all of the time. Just wanna shake them and tell them how much money they're wasting!My LSR305's now sound like basic desktop speakers.
    Reactions: rtwjunkie
    rtwjunkie
    rtwjunkie
    Wow, that is a Huuuuuge desk!! :laugh:
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Ahh, I see what you did there. Yes, 55' would be very huge. But it's actually only a slightly large 55". Cheeky bastard. I haven't got my 32' monitor yet so the 55' desk is "off the table." :/

Side note, I do that when adding quotes, too. You'll see in one post some are single while others are double and there is no rhyme or reason. I see it and yet cannot change it.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…