• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.
robot zombie
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings System Specs About

• Why does it seem like whenever Im shopping for shoes and see a pair I like, theyre always out of stock? I dont ask for much. Size 11. Averaging a pair every 2 odd years. Never in my life not had to settle.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Fortunately, boots for work are easy. I've always had good, comfy boots. Bootmakers always seem to churn out every size. I'm a 10 1/2 wide in boots. Always been able to get that. But a nice regular pair of size 11 sneakers that are comfortable and look how I want? Nope! I'd rather just not see them displayed/listed if nobody is ever gonna stock every size. If the boot guys can do it, so can they.
    Waldorf
    Waldorf
    look at adidas. they even have the torsion series, which is coming in different options incl for flats like us.
    Caring1
    Caring1
    My sons a size 11 shoe and he found some Dunlops at Big W just the other day, I didn't know they still made the KT 26 lol.
    He grabbed a few pairs of varying colours.
    Sometimes I wonder anybody functions, given the thoughts that live in your average person's head.
    Reactions: Waldorf
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    The murder channels are fun though! :ohwell:

It's more that internet comments often make me think of people out in the world like "People around them probably don't have any clue about this...:wtf:" You know? :laugh: It's funny to me that anybody maintains a sane appearance with the amount of insane thoughts caught in the inter-net.
    biffzinker
    biffzinker
    Eventually it slips out, I've had first hand experience with customers at work. It's went from self entitled, racist comment/s, to sheer stupidity. Just when you think you've seen it all someone proves you wrong. I'm at the point of not being surprised by things people say or do anymore.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Bahah, and I've done a lot of retail in south Florida.
    Yo, random news sites! When you force me to disable adblock and the first thing you do when I comply, is fill more than 50% of my screen with video ads, I'm blacklisting your domain.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    That's what I wish they got about it. It's not us using adblockers killing revenue. I don't expect everything to be free. But using adblockers is just a rational choice when the ads aren't used responsibly. Don't ask me to give you consideration you don't extend to me.
    biffzinker
    biffzinker
    I still whitelist TPU from adblock in uOrigin though.

If a site forces me to disable Adblocking I fallback to the Privacy Badger extension in Firefox.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Same, though largely not relevant because I'm one of those supporter schmucks :D

See, I really don't want content providers to suffer for my enjoyment. But sometimes these ad nags are like some random person saying "Could you please hold out your hand?" And I'm just like "Nuh uh they're staying in my pockets until I see what's in YOUR hand."
    Biggest pet peeve: play a game, love it, play it a bunch across a year, game gets updated and turned into a buggy mess forever, favorite game occasionally unplayable.
    Why is it that GeForce photo mode always wants to show the overlay in screenshots? Why would I ever want to see "screenshot has been saved to gallery" in ANY screenshot?
    Got a call from an abusive ex today. Instead of shutting her down, I bought in. For an hour I gave her golden chances to use her favorite tricks. And then when she took them I would mention an example of her doing the same before.

Towards the end she was scream-crying kindergarten insults at me. I kept therapist tone the whole time. So satisfying.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Because she refused to understand the implications for me. I doesn't matter if I'm happy, sad, angry. It's about what she wants. I wanted to show her why she can't have what she wants. Her type will look for any reason not to look at themselves, I dealt with it for too long to be mad anymore.
    xtreemchaos
    xtreemchaos
    Ive been married to the same woman for 36 years and believe me we have never really fallen out over anything, but we respect each other and i think thats what its all about, i think your girl may be lacking in respect for you, i had a girl friend years ago she was so self-centered she could never see anybody else point of view i consider it a lucky escape for me :)
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    She doesn't even have respect for herself. During the relationship I tried to handle things on even footing, and she used that to make no-win scenarios for me. If I lie, I lose. If I'm honest, I lose. Looking back, she contributed very little and took A LOT. I think she uses other people to not have to ever face a deep self-hatred. Very angry and vindictive person.

And yes, I dodged a major bullet. :laugh:
    It took a while for me to understand what 'comfort in humility' means. But it's really true.

A bit earlier in life, I wanted always to be the best possible 'me' and know that I am. Just for me to always have that. But now I know that everything is both simpler and more meaningful when you don't pressure yourself for pride alone.
    Reactions: Vayra86
    Vayra86
    Vayra86
    Here's one I dreamt up just now.

a humble person can always excel... a proud person cannot.

I've found a humble approach is really beneficial, even in my work environment... provided that it suits your role and paycheck of course. It opens doors to learn, but also to make your point, because people know you're not 'just saying something' to flatter your ego.

Deep, man... deep. :D
    I feel like I've known for a long time, but seeing it second-hand cements it.

Trying to reason someone out of their faith is the same as trying to 'faith' someone out of their reasoning.
    Reactions: windwhirl
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Very right. The low-hangers aren't ripe. I like to think of it as phases. I've had points in being a person when there was no swaying me on specific things, to a nonsensical degree. There are things like that now. :laugh: So maybe it's not that people are becoming less receptive to ideological challenges. It's just that a person's receptiveness rotates depending on everything in and around them.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Realizing this helped me to empathize more with people and understand them enough to have more reasonable conversations. Maybe months later we have more to talk about because of a little connection. My thoughts may change too. People are more similar than different. We're just at different points in our grasps of things. And then on top of that, our brains are weird n'stuff and make us act irrationally at times.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Also, internet is double-eged. It opens a lot of doors for ideas to flow, but some things are just terrible for drive-by discussion. There needs to be that connection. An unspoken understanding between people who have learned how to communicate things to each other, person-to-person basis. It usually takes time to build up to that level of communicating with someone. You have to earn it together.
    In spite of things like house flooding, covid-19, sister stealing 1000's from mom, various BS, I think I'm the least stressed I've been in years.

When things go back to normal, I don't know if I can live like I used to. You learn a lot when things get pulled away from you for a while. So many things I don't miss at all about my daily life and never realized.
    Twitter scares me with how easy it is exploit. Bots start off just retweeting things their targets like, taking advantage of filtering to get like minds on them. Assuming they follow, it gets extra weighting. And then once drawing a crowd can basically turn 1000's of real people into misinformation aggregates.

I don't follow the conspiracies. But it seems like it'd be very easy.
    Reactions: windwhirl
    W
    windwhirl
    Indeed, although I have seen a few that were rather... poorly handled and easily gave away their bot identity when it should have never been discovered (at least from the point of view of their contractor) that they were bots.

And then there are those that just copy-paste the same text over and over again, which would easily give them away (nobody would copy-paste, they would just RT)
    W
    windwhirl
    On the bright side, there have been a few bots that everyone knew to be bots and were fun to follow around. There was this one that retweeted complaints thrown to a certain ISP, some of which were quite creative :laugh:
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    I know there are tools out there that will analyze and calculate the probability of an account being a bot. Some would put twitter at around 15% bots IIRC. 330m accts = 50m bots lmao. Not all of them can be sharp. But still! That's nuts!
    Autocorrect only ever seems to cost me MORE time when I don't really have it. I go back over it changing established terms it just didn't know or hitting slang (making sentences incomprehensible) or doing weird stuff like correcting 'lets' to 'let's' as though BOTH aren't basic english. Other times it chops up words as I'm inserting letters.

Cruelly it just seems to make touch screens harder for me. :laugh:
    Reactions: biffzinker
    W
    windwhirl
    Can't you just disable and leave it at simply "suggesting" that whatever you wrote was wrong? Without the auto-correct part, I mean...
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Well yeah haha. I just think its funny how something thats supposed to save time and add accessibility actually just causes more difficulty.

Of course you can train it but that never ends and there are still times when itll always be wrong. Even mild is too aggro.
    Talking politics with pops is fun. He's rank/file, team red. There would be no dems left if he had his way.

He was rambling about the bad old democrats again, so I said "I HATE those democrats! They're JUST like the republicans!"

Due to his binary thinking, he now thinks I am a democrat. Logic. :laugh: I actually don't identify with any major party, because I'm not a true American. Just born and raised in America.
    • Love
    Reactions: Vayra86
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    What ends up happening instead is that people spend all of thier energy defending thier worst people and attacking the other sides worst people. Like monkeys throwing shit.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    We supposedly champion individualism and freedom of speech, and yet in our politics thinking for yourself is highly discouraged. I watch people mindlessly reenact the conversations cooked up on TV like that;'s not exactly what they're doing and just shake my head. That's not America to me. Our founding fathers didn't think like that when they left Europe. I think they tried, but human nature is winning out.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    I guess what it boils down to, is I think we'd do better righting wrongs if instead of taking every opportunity to point the finger and back your guy, wrong or not, we focused on dealing with the wrongs in a united way. If this is a sport, neither team should harbor cheaters. So many ways for things to be undermined. Let the 'pubs be better 'pubs and the dems be better dems.
    Well, finally killed my Moto Z4. Really liked that phone. They got me in the hole for an LG G8, too... so double tragedy. :laugh:

Reviewers hate this phone. It's a solid, snappy phone. I bought it for the audio, it's actually amazing with HD6xx's. Good hi-Z on a phone! microSD for FLACs.
    Chomiq
    Chomiq
    2019 phone with a headphone jack? Kudos to them. My oneplus 7 only has usb-c and as I refuse to switch to wireless and the last IEM had jack failure after 4 months of use I no longer listen to music when I'm on the go.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    They make the phone too thick to die of flexion from normal use in 2.01 years. :(

BT headphones are still un-listenable for me. I don't get it. You're either walled out from almost all available options (or say, your trusty $500 IEMs...) unless you buy a dongle. It's like if faucets suddenly didn't have handles and you needed a special key made to turn them. The handles worked fine...
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    The G8's jack has really strong actuation before it bites down really firm. They have a lot tied up in that jack. The quality reflects that. You can even control pre/post ringing on the DAC filter. It auto-matches impedance for the big boy cans and bypasses the head amp for line-level out. FR correction and 10-band native global EQ! Sounds smooth, quick, spacious, detailed. It's like a unicorn. I never knew.
    Reactions: Chomiq
    ~3am last night I awoke to the curtain drop of a breaker trip. Turned off the bed to find my feet immersed in water. Fountain sounds in the bathroom. Go to bathroom and find toilet has flooded half of the house. The other day, the pressure switch lost tension... probably pumped air into lines, making the fill valve stick. *shrugs*
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    This exact time last year, we were having all of the tile/drywall in LR/kitchen area ripped up due to a pipe in the floor leaking. It's like a cycle.

Fortunately I just rent. Insurance might not cover this. If the supply line busted, maybe. I was lucky that I keep nothing valuable on the floor. But treading piss water to pull everything out when I was planning on sleeping a little was not fun.
    Getting my stimulus has been a PITA, man. Last year I took the stupid reloadable card to get my refund faster. And then I tossed the card. My stimulus is on that card.

To get a replacement I've been on the phone 3 times. Next is a trip to H&R to try and get a card that lets me access that money. All I can say is, it's a good thing I'm still working or I'd be boned about now.
    Hurrrr last time I did my taxes I e-filed and got the stupid green dot card because it knocked a fee off.

My stimulus is going to that... they did say direct deposit as per tax info. I never keep that BS, so somewhere in a landfill, is my coronavirus money. o_O

At least H&R sent me an e-mail.
    I think COVID-19 might actually kill gamestop. Their share is down like 50c over their previous low and dropping. Currently $2.80 per share.

If they survive, I wonder if anybody will show up after the stunts they pulled...
    FreedomEclipse
    FreedomEclipse
    Nah - gamestop was already killing gamestop before COVID-19 was ever on the scene. The virus just accelerated progress.
    R-T-B
    R-T-B
    Yeah, if gamestop is the only thing that dies from this it just sped up the corpses decay. It was already a zombie. I'd be thrilled if that's our only casualty.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    I think we're actually seeing their death knell in all of the crap they've pulled amidst everything. It's like they know the jig is up, so all they can do is grab as much as possible on the way out.
    "They have had problems with this in the past, so there has to be a solution to the problem he is having now."

or maybe...

"I had had that idea before, but have now changed my mind."
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Stacked participles of the same word are technically somewhat advanced grammar in the English language. Personally, I just use them to mess with people, because of how awkward they read and sound. Good for keeping people paying attention :laugh:
    I just had a breakthrough. Repetitive memes flood comments. Everybody likes them (except me I guess.) Deleting them seems mean. But they clutter things and people overuse the same ones.

So allow people to flag them and then add a toggle to turn them off when you want. Everybody wins.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    I love jokes. That's why I hate memes. Mass memeing is like 5 people breaking into group masturbation at a huge party. Resist and somehow you're ruining it or something. Pretending to be funny is lame. It makes me think you're boring and lonely. It's okay if you can't think of something interesting to say. Let other people talk till you do!
    Drone
    Drone
    Nothing can be worse than copy-pasted jokes repeated for the billionth time. Back in the day I liked people with humor. Now when I got older and closer to death than ever, I prefer serious focused people.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    I just think it's a faux pas to steal attention away just for the sake of it by making non jokes like they're original and relevant. Some people are kinda just like that, I think.

I think it bothers me personally because I'm more introverted. I wait until I [think I] have something interesting and you're stealing my turn for non-output. Memes are the internet extension.
    Just saw a grey, 4-point, star shaped shimmer in/out in my left periph...

Migraine inbound. ETA 15-30 minutes. At least my brain always gives me warnings?
    R-T-B
    R-T-B
    I have migraines and I wouldn't wish them on anyone. No warnings for me though, just hell on occasion.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    No doubt! They suck and I have a hard time explaining to people how it's not just a really bad headache... throws a wrench in your whole equilibrium. I liken them more to a low-grade seizure. Once it sets in, you're having a different kind of day.

I will usually get a shimmer in my vision, though not always. Another one is fluorescent lighting. I see transparent blobs sliding along them.
    R-T-B
    R-T-B
    My head just hurts so bad and I gain extreme light sensitivity. I also get dizzy. Still hell.
    Got my last wisdom tooth out just in time haha. It was so infected they thought I might need a surgeon... literally a chasm dividing it in half... probably hit me with the 'caine 20+ times... and then it popped out in 30 seconds lol
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    I skipped coffee completely yesterday... just got up and went to get the sucker out. Couldn't wait to be free of it, it hurt so bad.

I just had a big cup on ice and now I'm like 'huuuuuuuRRRURUURUURUURUURUURRRR'

I've never had one heal this fast. I guess it's true... the easier it comes out, the better it heals. I've heard nightmare stories. Always been lucky I guess.
    My hair is getting crazy enough that everybody is asking me when I'm getting a haircut. Which means I'm keeping it that much longer :D

Truth is, every other year I grow it long so random people I've pissed off don't recognize me for long enough to forget what I look like with it short. Then I cut it. Clean slate.
    biffzinker
    biffzinker
    Not a bad strategy, wouldn't work for me unfortunately. Bald on top, started in my late teenage years. When I was seventeen I believe?
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Sorry to hear it man. :p Had a buddy like that... bald at 20. He was shy about it but girls still asked me about him. My dad started balding early 30's. But my grandfather on my mom's side died with a full head of hair so maybe I'll be lucky. I figure since I'm not getting younger I'll appreciate it while I've got it, though. It's unmanageably thick for now...
    I just spent 30 odd minutes watching flat-earthers argue with *ahem* debate actual scientists.

I never thought I'd see internet arguments in real-life. Serious humanity. I wanted to think people like this weren't real.

Shoulda stuck with Skyrim today...
    • Haha
    Reactions: Flanker
    R-T-B
    R-T-B
    I mean, we already had the friggin Emu Wars, which Australia lost to emus. This isn't new.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    I was thinking of 'swarm' enemies in games. You mean you can't just shoot them a bunch or slash them down to nothing with swords?
    Reactions: R-T-B
    R-T-B
    R-T-B
    Some wars would be better fought with swords. The Emu Wars in Australia probably could've been won with them.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…