• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TechPowerUp Forums

robot zombie
robot zombie
Nietzsche said that God was dead, and that we killed him. Schopenhauer, a pessimist, pushed for what Nietzsche called a "will to nothingness" -- a rejection of will, desire, meaning, purpose... the zen nihilist. Or nihilistic stoicism. Worth noting, a will for nothing is still a will. A choice. Your choice.
robot zombie
robot zombie
Personally still really like Nietzsche's answer, which was reminiscent of someone who values and conducts his own life as though his existence was his canvas. When God is dead, anything is permitted. True strength and thriving belongs to the free spirits who embrace the deconstruction of false value and build something new. I would say that life is easier when you find your own meaning.
Drone
Drone
IIRC Schopenhauer said "After your death you will be what you were before"
robot zombie
robot zombie
That one always stumped me, but I think maybe it's supposed to be a stumper, alluding to the futility of living for things beyond death. "What you were before" could be anything, depending on what you believe. But whether you believe you came from something, nothing, or the spoke in a grand wheel, the only thing that matters is what you do here and now. All that changes is how you contextualize it.
Drone
Drone
Yup many philosophers think just like that. It was in Schopenhauer's Solace of Life and Death. However, I can't seem to find solace in anything at all.
robot zombie
robot zombie
Mmm, there's a reason death is described as the ultimate reprieve. Your problem is that you aren't wrong. I might look to Dostoevsky or JP Sartre. If our observably-fallible perception is all that we have and to return to suffering is to simply be, like water running downhill, then no kite shield that you could build, could ever be more absurd than the human predicament itself already is.
robot zombie
robot zombie
Relinquish the need for absolute meaning and one can find peace in blissful ignorance. "Everything is as real and imaginary as it can be." or "That may as well be the truth." It's those 'in-betweens' that cause us to undergo internal crises. The inability to categorically accept or reject; confirm, or deny. I.E., it is the desire for peace and shelter that precludes their very acquisition. The very notion is Flubber.
robot zombie
robot zombie
Religious folks get this. The rest look to reason only to emerge prideful and unknowing. For me, this pride in my unknowing is both my salvation and my bane. No comfort to be found in the idea that nobody knows solace. The closest one ever has to real peace is born from reconciliation with the hole in their own chest. Unrest is only an issue if it's not integrated. One does not need peace in order to know purpose.
witkazy
witkazy
You guys, not an expert but i'm pretty sure philosophy did not started with Schopenhauer and do not end on Nietzshe . Germans tend to bum you out.
Greeks and Brits rarely discuss philosophy sober ,might be reason i'm on their team :D
Drone
Drone
Never really liked peace. It's boring without enemies.
  • Haha
Reactions: basco