• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.
WhitetailAni
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings System Specs About

• Today I learned that you can run a GTX 690 without a fan as long as you take a generic desk fan (1 foot diameter) and point it at the side of the card. At idle it's at 44/42C, which is better than when I had an 80mm fan double-sided taped in there (45/47C).
    Don't worry, my replacement fan is coming soon. Cleared customs at 9 AM today.
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!
    I had a random 80mm fan laying around. Cut it out of its casing, double-sided taped it into the cavity where my GTX 690 fan will go, plugged it in. Works fine.
    I had to shut down after 5 minutes though because the fan fell out.
    I am the proud owner of a GTX 690. Arriving June 7th.
    stinger608
    stinger608
    That's frigging awesome bro!!!!!!
    WhitetailAni
    WhitetailAni
    What's extra nice is that I got a $35 discount.
    I found someone selling a GTX 690 without a fan for $125. I offered $105 and they agreed.
    I then found a replacement fan for $15. Offered $12 and they agreed.
    With tax it came out to ~$125, compared to the ~$160 I'd be paying without discount.
    The card itself should come on Saturday and I have a fan with me so I can at least make sure it works.
    Vendor
    Vendor
    wow amazing deal bro, you know tech dreamer was jailed for false murder allegations after a girl who falsely accused a rape but didn't wanna testify it
    TPU forums do not like macOS
    Also why is it so darned hard to get a valid but unused MacPro7,1 (Mac Pro 2019) serial number? Still haven't got one and I've gone through 100
    bogmali
    bogmali
    You do know there is a whole section for Linux/BSD/MacOS right? Not sure what you mean by "TPU forums do not like macOS"
    WhitetailAni
    WhitetailAni
    Note to self: Include more words next time.
    On my Hackintosh, I'm using a GK106 core, known for VRAM leakage.
    The TPU forums are one of the worst places to go to see it. Other places (Apple sites, LTT forums, Canvas, Kami, Google Docs, etc.) are fine, but the TPU forums can be a glitchy mess.
    bogmali
    bogmali
    Ah gotcha
    I'm debating buying an SSD for Hackintoshing or saving up a bit more and getting a GTX 690. I don't see Titan Z's coming down in price for awhile (6GB VRAM is still fine, but 2GB, well...), but I should be able to find one for $100.
    Reactions: MIRTAZAPINE
    MIRTAZAPINE
    MIRTAZAPINE
    I guess grab the gtx 690? Old gpu are getting harder to find now. I am trying to find a 780ti for retro xp builds cannot find it.
    WhitetailAni
    WhitetailAni
    I went for the SSD since all the 690's were $150+ and Newegg had the MX500 500GB on sale.

690 is next.
    Gonna get that Titan Z some day...
    WhitetailAni
    WhitetailAni
    Only Kepler supports macOS + hardware acceleration.
    The Titan Z is as good as it gets.
    If I can't find a Titan Z I'll get 2 780 Ti's.
    I see. You can still find them new for around $1,700 new and used for around $700. That's better than what they launched at which was $3,000
    WhitetailAni
    WhitetailAni
    I don't care too much about new (as long as it works I'm happy) so I'll be looking around.
    I have reset my S4 Mini since it kept crashing.
    It's not like it was much more than a camera/flashlight anyway.
    imma do a thing
    it's gonna involve string and a fan
    RAM timings finalized on C16-16-16-32, from C16-18-18-36. Running mixed B-Die and Nanya something, 32GB, 3333 MT/s.
    Reactions: basco
    WhitetailAni
    WhitetailAni
    Set tRC to 48 from 78.
    Gonna run memtest86 overnight.
    WhitetailAni
    WhitetailAni
    Alright, memtest86 passed!
    3333 MT/s, C16-16-16-32, tRC 48.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…