• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.
Arjai
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Heatware System Specs About

• OK, so, my schedule currently sucks, but will get better, eventually. 64 hours in 5 days. Sat and Sun, 12 hr. shifts. Mon and Tue, 16 hr. shifts. Wed. 8 hours. Thu +Fri off. I currently Lyft ride home Sun. @11pm. Lyft to work for my 7am start Mon. morning.
    • Wow
    Reactions: stinger608
    Arjai
    Arjai
    I then work until 11pm and stay at the hotel, in our building. then do another 7am-11pm shift. Bus get's me home Wed. morning at 12:30 am. I then work Wed 3pm to 11pm and then bus to the bar, down the street. 2 beers, generally, and I can walk home and sleep right away (last night, 3:D).
    the54thvoid
    the54thvoid
    Where do you fit in life?
    Arjai
    Arjai
    Life stuff will be somewhat restored this next week. New guy will be working mornings, eliminating my doubles Mon and Tues. So, basically back to 48 hours, 5 days. I hope! All indicators are that new guy is a good fit. :)
    It was the memory slots. He is currently paying for some schooling and thinks that sometime in Dec. he can afford to go get another used computer. I told him to bring me along, I want to be sure he is getting his money's worth. He is on a fixed budget. I don't want him paying $200 and getting the same POS.
    stinger608
    stinger608
    What about a replacement motherboard?
    If I recall right, this was a laptop system?
    Some of the replacement motherboards can be purchased pretty cheap on fleabay.
    Arjai
    Arjai
    Absolutely no effing way am I going to disassemble that thing. I have no time or energy to tackle that thing. Plus, he will get something for it, on trade, at People's PC. They can disassemble it, if they want. I am working 64 hours a week, right now, and for the foreseeable future, so, no, not gonna do it. All that for a free lunch, not worth it to me.
    Well, just capped my long week with a couple beers at the local pub. Next is another go with my neighbor's laptop. I am thinking it will end up the memory slots are bad but, one more try to confirm it. Probably will know sometime around 1pm... Good Night TPU :lovetpu:
    Sunday morning. I will be gone from my apartment until Tuesday night, probably get home around midnight. I have two 7am to 11 pm shifts, Monday and Tuesday, after my 11 to 11 shift today. I am going to stay at the Hotel, in our building, tonight and tomorrow night. Then a Wed. shift 3-11. 64 hours this week.
    Including yesterdays 12 hour shift.
    • Wow
    Vayra86
    Vayra86
    Man I keep reading those work weeks you do... why do you keep doing this to yourself? Do you even enjoy it?
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    @Vayra86 I worked like this for years into my 20s. Insomniac since puberty, pay sucks, works hard, but time is money, I figured. It was sort of a rush at times.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    I will say though... at 32 I treasure every drop of strength and energy. I can never go 60+ again. Im grateful to be in good health. That work cycle takes a lot away, even if theres a draw in the simplicity.
    So, the news at work. I was Promoted to Sargent. That's the good news. The bad news? Well, one of our Lieutenants, quit. She was the only female on the team and she will be missed. The other bad news, their is a guy on our team that wanted to be Sargent.
    Arjai
    Arjai
    He was interviewed for the job but, it was mainly a formality, I had already been given it. In the new Lieutenant space, their is also controversy. The Sargent that got the job, also has less time than the Sargent that wanted it.
    Arjai
    Arjai
    The Sargent in question is also on his last strand. He is lazy, can't make a decision w/out calling somebody and is constantly messing things up. His claim to fame though, is flooding the tower after a pump test. That was something, took weeks to repair the damage and IDK how much money. He is also a back stabber, re-writing reports to make himself look good or removing himself from responsibility.
    Arjai
    Arjai
    So, Saturday, I get to work with the guy that wanted my new job. I expect him to act foolish, like normal. I choose not to give a F%#k about it. He'll get over it, or quit, like a hurt little bunny runs away. :roll:
    So, another Amazon return tomorrow. New stick of memory didn't work, possibly DOA. I am going to order another, identical, stick in the hopes IT works, otherwise it is a hardware issue, with the memory slots. If so, he is going to get a different laptop...
    For the last couple of weeks, on my day off, I have been trying to get my neighbor's laptop up and running. I got him a new SSD, to replace hid 250GB spinner from hell. I also got him an 8GB stick of sodimm DDR3. Or, so I thought. At first it booted to Windows (10 64 bit). but, the next day he got the BSOD.
    Reactions: Count von Schwalbe
    Arjai
    Arjai
    I took his stick out compared it to the new one and saw that the new one was DDR3L. So, I came back to my apt and looked it up. L runs at 1.35 and non L runs at 1.5 I did not know that. I am not a DDR3 laptop memory knowledge type. Upshot is....
    Arjai
    Arjai
    I don't have to re-install, and lose his stuff. I have a weird brand of DDR3,'Rasalas' that had decent reviews on Amazon. Both of my returns went flawless, the DDR3L and the initial stick of DDR4, that I mistakenly bought, 3 weeks ago. So, tomorrow, we should have the fricking old Dell running again, better than ever. I also am going to set him up with my old router, @ 3 times quicker than his Qwest box.
    Arjai
    So far, 2 teammates, at work, are very pissy. Even they don't know the secret plan yet, one just knows 1 little element. 1 of the 2 is gonna be quite upset, possibly even angry, come Tuesday...Good thing I like Popcorn! LOL. Of the 3 people that own Handguns, they're NOT pissy, Thank God. :roll:
    OK, well. We got a new team member today. He'll be working the split shift, which hasn't been filled for over 3 years. 8-5 is his shift m-f. I was supposedly going to get this shift but, I got the Control room instead. I got more money but, he got the better hours...I'd complain but, won't make a difference.:ohwell:
    Well, in about 10 minutes I have to leave for a 16 hour shift. Yea. :( Seems the day shift guy called off, at 8 pm last night. To Boot, the sage corporate overlords fired one of our solid team members yesterday. Based solely on what a Potbelly's employee said to the head of management.
    • Wow
    Reactions: phill
    Arjai
    Arjai
    No investigation, and our boss did nothing to defend him. He worked 3 doubles a week, plus his regular overnight shifts. 56+ hours a week. No body even in line to replace his overnights...swift move a--h---s!!
    Good Night TPU. Had an unexpected day off today. I went to the VA because of foot pain. I thought I might have fractured a bone while building a desk, for my sister. As it turns out, it was an acutely painful occurrence of Gout. Un usual, to say the least. So, staying away from alcohol and eating cherries and bananas and avoiding red meat for a spell.
    Arjai
    Arjai
    3 years ago, a couple days after Thanksgiving, I had a Gout flare up ( 2 Dinners and a about 5 pints of beer, did me in for 2 days of hell) that was probably a little worse. Methinks this one flared up because of some dehydration. So, more water, please. Well, and being on my knees building the desk, probably disturbed the joint a bit...Doctor said that could have contributed.
    tabascosauz
    tabascosauz
    Damn! Had to look it up, I had no idea gout could be so painful. Hope you feel better soon. Who knows, no booze and no meat, might even have you feeling detoxed :)
    Arjai
    Arjai
    I am better, Thanks.
    Looks like, because of the schedule juggle, I will have 4 days of next week. Mon, Tues, Thu and Fri. Then my new schedule starts Sat, thru Wed, and I will be back to a 5 day work week. I am sure, as time goes by, I will be able to pick up another shift, adding to my overtime Motorcycle Fund. But for the time being, it will be nice.
    So, 3 pm tomorrow begins a new phase for me at work. I get a $1 raise to spend 24 of my weekly 48 hours, in the control room running the largest building in the Twin Cities, aside from the massive acreage that is the Mall of America. I also get Friday off, instead of Wednesday.
    I have a new phone being delivered Tuesday. I am getting the Apple 13 Pro Max w/ 512GB. I am an Android guy but, all of the driod 5G phones are currently garbage, IMHO. So, I am gonna give the much applauded Apple 13 a shot. On a side note the number 13 is a lucky number for me (long story, but unmistakable).
    Went to the bank, I was supposed to have a new card sent to me...never sent. Got temp card, new one ordered. Wanted to set up a Savings account, also. Not Today...but, appt for tomorrow. Apparently, Some people just work when THEY want to. Must be nice... :(
    Thanks, I will try a different cable and look up Hiren's and Clonezilla. It will have to wait though, I have to go to work, now.
    I am thinking about taking my C drive out and loading a fresh Windows install on the M.2. Then putting all back together, and erasing the Boot folder from the C drive. IDK, never had a drive cloning process end up like this!! Anyway, Good Night, I have to work in the morning.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Hiren's! That disc is like a good set of screwdrivers. Timeless :p

Since like 2005, Partedmagic booted on RAM is where I go for this kind of job - Hiren's version is a classic. You learn to love it when you are allowing yourself to break multi-boot Linux installs left and right, managing shared stuff across partitions and drives, while keeping one consistently maintained windows install in the mix, like a maniac.
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Between Clonezilla and GParted, I never had issues doing pretty much anything I wanted with partition and disc arrangements.

Though honestly, it's pretty handy as a general tool for any machine. Get you out of some nasty jams.
    caroline!
    caroline!
    Partedmagic has saved countless drives that were apparently dead for Windows.

Hiren's comes with super useful tools to diagnose storage drives, HDD regenerator and DRevitalize...
    Well, been trying, for days to cure a problem that Macrium doesn't even have listed in anything on their site, Error code 9. (cyclic reads failure) or whatever it is. Same thing happens 25 minutes in, despite days of updates, trouble shooting and even a failed windows re-install. (THAT was fun!!)
    I posted a stupid problem I am having, the 'Stupid' refers to me. TPU FORUM POST
    stinger608
    stinger608
    @eidairaman1 pretty much answered the first question you have there. :toast:
    eidairaman1
    eidairaman1
    Its something not used daily, like nodrivetypeautorun in registry
    Reactions: Arjai
    Arjai
    Arjai
    Wow, talk about not used much...I haven't installed a Optical drive in many years! It's gotta' be more than 5 years ago (actually paused there, to think about that!). LOL!
    I wanted to do a bunch of things today... Did none of them. Eventually, I expect to get used to working 6 days a week, so far, I have not been getting used to it. Oh well, there's always next week!
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…