• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.
emothxughts
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings System Specs About

• Sent my dad's (out of warranty) Macbook to an authorized service centre today, my dad's busy at work and can't do it himself. They charge MYR 200 (~USD 45) just for diagnosis. Apple tax, man...
    Turns out the first time I sent my Gigabyte RX5600XT card to the seller as part of the warranty process, they didn't even send it to Gigabyte and sent the card back to me unfixed and still crashing. Also explains why GB says they never had the card in their system.

Had to tell the seller I really want the card sent to GB this second time.
    TheoneandonlyMrK
    TheoneandonlyMrK
    Wow that's ridiculous, your clearly patient, they even had it a while the gits, ,I cannot express in words here what I would have done, especially if I could actually visit said shop.

I certainly wouldn't pass them more money though too, good luck with your issue, hopefully Gigabyte will sort it soon.
    emothxughts
    emothxughts
    Heard stories of GB being bad with warranty, turns out I never actually faced it the entire time because it was never sent to them in the first place!
    My tech tip: If your PC crashes & restarts itself, when you open the Event Viewer afterwards, don't bother with Event 41 Kernel-Power and Event 6008 EventLog, these only mean that your PC didn't shut down correctly.

Instead look for other errors that happen around the time of the two events, for example BugCheck or WHEA-Logger for example, those are the real errors.
    It starts with...one thing, i don't know why, it's doesn't matter how hard I try, keep crashing and WHEA 18-ing with my 2nd hand RX5600XT...

I swapped a lot, stressed tested so much, but in the end it doesn't even matter...
    caroline!
    caroline!
    All I know time is a valuable thing, watch it fly by as the drivers brick
    Super Firm Tofu
    Super Firm Tofu
    RIP Chester :(

And apparently the 5600XT
    emothxughts
    emothxughts
    The card has just arrived at the original seller's shop today, sent it out on Wednesday. I don't want the same card back like last time.
    I just like it when I look up a specific PC problem on Google and find a thread that matches my problems almost exactly...and it has exactly zero replies.
    R-T-B
    R-T-B
    It's even better when you get the "thanks I fixed it! pls close" reply with no explanation as to how they fixed it.
    Kodehawa
    Kodehawa
    The best ones are the ones where the solution links to a dead page last seen in 2009.
    emothxughts
    emothxughts
    And in Reddit, someone posts a long writeup on a problem that matches mine almost exactly, but the only comments are two automod messages. And one [deleted] post.
    Just found out today that I plugged in my CPU cooler fans to the chassis fan header on my mobo instead of the actual CPU fan header. *facepalm*

CPU didn't heat up too much however...
    Reactions: stinger608
    robot zombie
    robot zombie
    Crazy that it ran with it! The last time I made that mistake, it wouldn't finish the boot sequence. I assume it either halted the moment temps spiked, or detected there was no CPU fan.

Scary to me that a machine might run AFTER the CPU fan dies. You'd hope if you lost draw on CPU_FAN, power down would initiate immediately!
    emothxughts
    emothxughts
    In fact, when I plugged in the fans to the wrong header, the CPU was only slightly hotter, like just 2-5C hotter.
    Transplanted my M.2 SSD into my new Asrock B450M Steel Legend without reinstalling Windows, it worked almost perfectly fine. Almost, because it's not activated anymore.
    Wish there was a Greg Salazar type of computer repair guy near me...
    caroline!
    caroline!
    Meh, even an ape can "fix computers" (by replacing entire parts) if you give him expensive tools.
    Reactions: basco
    emothxughts
    emothxughts
    Exactly that, fix my computer by replacing parts free of charge, in exchange for being featured in a Youtube video.
    Just moved one of my case fans from the bottom front to the back of the case. The fan isn't really doing much blowing at the bottom front anyway.
    Experiencing Gigabyte's legendarily bad warranty process right now, no news on my RMA'd RX 5600 XT for 2 months.

(I'm Malaysian, their RMA policy here is "Please contact the location where the original order was placed. " Nothing from the shop either.)
    R-T-B
    R-T-B
    Ouch. Hoping it turns up (and working) eventually.
    tabascosauz
    tabascosauz
    Unfortunate policy, since with Gigabyte you have to be personally riding their ass every step of the way if you want your RMA to ever complete in time, including harassing them on social media to light a fire under their asses. Which the shop certainly won't do for you unless you know someone.
    Reactions: R-T-B
    R-T-B
    R-T-B
    Yeah. I've been there. Both Gigabyte and ASUS can make some pretty neat stuff, but they both have abysmal warranties that always have me thinking twice at purchase. They are nearly blacklisted for that alone.
    Almost one week since my RX 580 came back to me from the repair shop, has been working well in games, no crashes or blackscreens (except the crashfest that is modded Skyrim)...
    My RX 580 is now on its way back to me from the repair shop. If display acts out again, I'll know it isn't the card's fault...maybe?
    My dead RX 580 just arrived at the repair shop in Penang (West Malaysia) I sent it out to, this evening. Time to work that GPU necromantic magic!
    Found a guy on lowyat.net (my country Malaysia's largest forum) who advertised his graphics card repair shop there, so I contacted him for help with my late RX 580.

Repairs are charged, he quoted like MYR 200 for mine, but diagnosis is free.
    emothxughts
    emothxughts
    Before anyone asks, the card is out of (manufacturer's) warranty by the time I bought it 2nd hand, it is a 2017 card after all.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…