1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

£500 in my pocket

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by dhklopp, Oct 11, 2017.

1. dhklopp

dhklopp

Thanks Received:
    I've got £500 or so incoming shortly. If I was to upgrade now where would be the best place to spend the cash. Should I go for a new GPU/monitor or wait. I'm in no rush to upgrade so if waiting until next year is the best option I'm willing to hang fire (regardless of how much it's burning a hole in my pocket).
    I play new release games at as high res as possible and do little else other than browse on my PC.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

2. IceScreamer

IceScreamer

Thanks Received:
    If you're happy with how the PC runs now I'd hold out for next year. No reason to spend if the stuff you have works as you want it to, especially since the setup you have is still very good.

dhklopp says thanks.
  3. dhklopp

dhklopp

Thanks Received:
    Yea you're probably right. I'll maybe stash this bonus away and grab a card in the new year. Tempted for a whole new rebuild by then though (before the other half decides she like some shitty wallpaper for the spare room we'll never see). Decisions, decisions.

4. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    Spoilt for choice in CPU department if you're happy with your 980ti.
    For around £500 you could get either:
    Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 + B350 Motherboard
    Intel i5 Coffee lake + Z370(currently only available motherboard at this moment of time)
    16GB DDR4 3000mhz

5. Final_Fighter

Thanks Received:
    sense you just purely game i would say pickup a z370 mobo + i5 8600k and some ddr4 . your gpu is still really good. sell off your old mobo, ram, and cpu to recoup some of that cash and stash it away for later.

6. Liviu Cojocaru

Liviu Cojocaru

Thanks Received:
    I totally agree, save a bit more money and then do a full upgrade CPU+MB+RAM+GPU :)

7. gdallsk

gdallsk

Thanks Received:
    Save it. No point in upgrading so late in the GPU cycle.

Capitan Harlock says thanks.
  8. wolar

wolar

Thanks Received:
    No need to upgrade i think, check if you want a monitor with 144hz, other than that save it for later.

9. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Definitely upgrade your gpu but hold off until the 1070ti is out (not long)and either get that or vega 56 , nothing else in your system will have as much of an improvement effect, and in general id say your good for a few more years.

Oh and a cpu mobo combo won't improve your browsing and it definitely wont improve many games , still gpu that's limiting you.

And if you wait then do full system swap you will end up with a 1070ti anyway by then so why not game on it between then and now, a 980ti is good but new games are starting to make it look old plus a 1070ti is way ahead in fps and features ,the 980ti is perhaps a year or so of legacy drivers being a thing.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  10. peche

peche Thermaltake fanboy

Thanks Received:
    If you are happy with your have, stay with what you have and save some pennies, or get the most from your current Setup, get MNVe SSD, better cooling, OC' it and game on!

Monitor is a wise upgrade for the rig listed in your specs, in your situation ill get 3x 1080p displays to make a Nvidia surround :D , or will go custom water cooling just to improve aesthetics on my rig !

Regards,

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. dhklopp

dhklopp

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies, food for thought that's for sure. I think I'll look into a monitor upgrade and save the rest for next year when the next round of GPU's hit.

12. GorbazTheDragon

GorbazTheDragon

Thanks Received:
    GPU is probably the biggest candidate for upgrade, I'd be willing to buy that 980Ti off you for 300 quid if you do want to upgrade and get rid of it;) (am I allowed to say that here? <.< )

But I'd say the same as others here, not really much reason to upgrade now as we are pretty late in the GPU cycle, expect prices to drop somewhat into early 2018, hopefully there will be some nice new cards to go around by then.

As for the mobo, and CPU, it shouldn't be a huge problem yet. You might be able to snag deals on second hand 4770/4790ks over the next few months as people move up to Coffee Lake, but I don't think it will make a very noticeable difference to performance.

theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  13. peche

peche Thermaltake fanboy

Thanks Received:
    no real reason to upgrade such powerful video card... OP does not game beyond 1080p / 1440p, field that still could be handled by a single GTX 980ti,

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Depends what he's playing , he says latest games out at high settings so then a 980ti is not what it once was , thinking prey ,forza7 deus ex latest etc.
    A gpu or monitor is way better than cpu mobo combo though , thats side grade cant tell upgrade material to me.

Next years gpus are not going to be great till year end imho , we're looking basically at vega refresh and pascal/volta refresh at best until late 2018 when navi is out , i expect nvidia to release the competition to navi early 2019 and fight initially with what they have, so a 1070ti is good for 13months minimum imho, plus that 980ti is worth something now , it won't be so much next year.

15. peche

peche Thermaltake fanboy

Thanks Received:
    guess will be a bit wiser to save money, skip this generation and see how much his budget could do in new generation, 980ti still can handle high settings for several games, close match to GTX 1070 also....

Regards,

SomeOne99h says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. dhklopp

dhklopp

Thanks Received:
    Is it worth it getting the 1070ti? Isn't the price going to be be pretty close to the 1080?

17. GorbazTheDragon

GorbazTheDragon

Thanks Received:
    I'd think the 980Ti is way too close to what the 1070Ti would be to make that worth it.

Fluffmeister says thanks.
  18. peche

peche Thermaltake fanboy

Thanks Received:
    If you have the money, get the GTX 1080, that will be enough for 2 or 3 years gaming at max on almost everything on 1080 / 1440P at least, 1070 /1070ti are great cards too, but if you are going to improve a GTX 980ti pick something similar, something high end....

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    If you could fight the temptation just save that money for next year.

dhklopp says thanks.
  20. dhklopp

dhklopp

Thanks Received:
    Aye I'm thinking wait. It burns my pocket though :).

21. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Save it, go for for a trip. A week in a good place with good people trumps ... most things, honestly.

Apocalypsee and peche say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  22. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I would get some fancy cheese, salami,energy drinks and fine chocolates.

Controllers, usb 3 sticks, new fans.

peche says thanks.
  23. dhklopp

dhklopp

Thanks Received:
    Already got holidays booked and paid for. Wish I could have more but the overlords at work won't allow it.

Mmmm cheese.