• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

0.24 causes control problem in Psi-Ops?

Web Junkie

Processor AMD 5600+ Dual Core 2.8Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair Socket AM2
Cooling 3 x 80mm Case Fans
Memory 2 x 1Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) XFX 7950GT XXX Edition 610/1600
Storage 120Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 8mb Cache
Display(s) LG FLatron 17" CRT 795FT+
Case Songcheer Super Wide Midi Tower
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX HD Audio
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling SILENCER 750 QUAD
Software WinXP Pro + SP2 +All Critical Win Updates
First post on the Forum so a big HELLO to everyone :D

Now to my problem/bug!

Have installed the game Psi-Ops and found the controls are very laggy and unresponsive and can cause my character to keep running even when I've released the key to make him move!!

After a process of elimination I've found it's ATI Tools 0.24 that causes this behaviour as quitting the program and playing the game again allows me to control the character with ease, no lag or running off on his own. If I quit the game, reload ATI Tools and Psi-Ops the laggy unresponsive controls are back!

Problem is I NEED ATI Tools for Hotkey Gamma Adjust as my LG Flatron 17" monitor is so damn dark when playing games I need the Gamma adjust to see what the heck I'm shooting at! Even the ingame gamma adjust is no help as when it's full up I just get dark areas and really overbright light areas, ATI Tools is perfect for adjusting the gamma to a playable level, but I can't use it with this game?

This does not happen in other games I have like Doom3, Half Life 2, Battlefield 2, Vice City and Area 51, its just in Psi-Ops. If I remap the default movement keys to the Arrow keys the same thing happens, so it's not a game error with certain keys.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Specs:
Sapphire X850 XT @ Stock Speeds + CAT 5.6 and Control Panel
Athlon XP3000+ 2.2Ghz
1GB PC2700 RAM
XP Pro + SP1 + Updates + DX 9.0c
MSI KT3 Ultra + BIOS 5.7
120GB Seagate Barracuda HD
DVD-ROM
DVD-Writer
SB Live 5.1
Realtek NIC

*EDIT*
Just tried 0.25 b1 and the problem is still there :( thought it may have been fixed!

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
try turning 3d detection off and/or adding the psipos executable to the 3d detection exclude list

Web Junkie

Sorry W1zzard, that does not work :(

3D Detection was already disabled, so I added Psiops.exe to the exception list and tried with/without 3D Detection enabled and still the same problem!

Tried 0.24 and 0.25b1, both exhibit the same behaviour, maybe a bug in the 3D Detection?

This game uses Starforce copy protection btw, and I just wonder if this is causing a problem too as it creates all sorts of protected functions and a VM too I think?

Also, ATI Tray Tools does the same thing too but I can't see '3D Detection' or equivalent in that!

Last edited:

Web Junkie

Does nobody have Psi-Ops to try with 0.24 to see if they have problems too?

Prompt

I had the same problem in Steam (cs 1.6) not in Psi-ops. In my case it must be some Steam processor treating problem, because it can be caused by a lot of other programs not only Ati tool (depends on the system), but for me it caused ATI tool (not just version 0.24, I used an older version before .. don't know which one) I could only solve the problem - after i realised it is caused by ati tool, it was not easy :) - by setting ati tool to shut down at windows startup, after setting the gpu and memory mhz-s. (i configure the gamma on my monitor, when playing so i dont need this program for it, i just need it for overclocking)

The Steam forum which is about this mouse, keyboard lag:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=65356&perpage=15&pagenumber=55

My system specs:
AMD Barton 3200+ (2200mhz), Abit NF7, 512 DDR (Samsung 400 MHZ), Gecube Radeon x800pro 256 MB

Web Junkie

Thanks for the info Prompt, but that link doesn't really help me a lot. I have no problem in Counter Strike: Source or Half Life 2 as stated.

And how do you make ATI Tools keep the settings if you shut it down after startup? I was under the impression that ATI Tools needs to be running to apply any settings you make, so shutting it down would lose the settings? I confirm this by not being able to use the hotkey for gamma adjust when ATI Tools is not running, but can when it is running.

I have completely reinstalled Win XP, applied all Windows Updates but installed Catalysts 5.5 as the 5.6 driver caused problems playing WMV files. I subscribe to Atom Films Hi-Def and had problems with the 5.6 driver and WMV files so dropped to 5.5 and have no more WMV problems. However, this has still not cured the problem in Psi-Ops and ATI Tools :(

Strangely, if I enable 3D Detection and add the PsiOps.exe to both the Force 3D Mode and Ignore 3D Mode in the Exception List then the game swings from controllable to uncontrollable after using the Hotkey to adjust gamma, ALT + PGDN = Gamma UP and ALT + PGDN = Gamma Down, but the gamma doesn't actually seem to work immediately as there is a long pause before anything happens? Once I've pressed the hotkey though the game seems to work correctly for about a few seconds then goes back to laggy controls then becomes playable for a few seconds and so on and so on!

I actually DO NEED a gamma adjust as my monitor is up 100% on brightness/contrast and still the game is too dark to play and the Hotkeys settings for Full Screen 3D in the Color TAB of the ATI Control Panel DO NOT WORK in this game! They work in Vice City and Half Life 2 but not Psi-Ops?

The darkness problem in games is just a problem with my monitor and ATI Tools has a perfectly good gamma adjust, except in Psi Ops :(

So I'm completely at a loss as what to do now!

ps3divx.com

psi-ops problem!

im running a laptop just installed psi-ops seems to run good but there is a lag, push w(forward)
i have to wait maybe .5 to 1 seconds for response then he'll take off for about 2 to 7 seconds at a time!. i have searched but all i find is atitool makes the bug.....NOT for me cuz i dont have atitool and until now never heard of it, please someone give a non atitool related helping hand,maybe a patch out there for the game to fix? maybe a system proccess doing something
screwy with the game what!, i need help BAD