• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1 TB WD BLUE 3D NAND SATA SSD M.2 2280 ¿will it fit my pc?

System Name Asrock 2012
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
Motherboard ASRock 970 PRO3 AM3
Cooling Corsair H70 for CPU
Memory 64GB DDR3 1333mhz 16GBx4
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 1080 with stock fan
Storage 1TB GIGABYTE SSD NVME PCIE 2.0 + Samsung SSD Evo 850 250GB with Ubuntu + Samsung SSD 860 500GB win7
Display(s) LG HDR 31.5"
Case Big Black Tower
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply CORSAIR RM850X
Mouse wired chinese gaming mouse
Keyboard Microsoft ergonomic keyboard
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores +
Hi I found someone selling these for 50$ bucks each and I wanna get one but I don't know if this is pcie 2.0 or 3 and if 3 if it works with mine I think I have a pcie2.0 4x left from the mess. I wanna know if I can get this for super duper.
aparently I have no slot left. Soon I'll be getting a pcie1x firewire card for the slot on top of the gpu card. the graphics card is using 2 extra slots
cause of the fan. ThE FUck@IMG_20201128_204308.jpgIMG_20201128_204338.jpg¿SO WHAT DO I DO? what are my options... I really wanna go faster for scratch disk and loading apps than my sata3, but I have no space! the last card is a pci 16bit capture card. then 2 unused probably a pcie2.0 4x and another pci 16bit. The ssd on the site says is sata... can I use a sata port with it? it won't go faster than 6gbps... I was looking at the specs and this may actually be slower than my sata drive... true?!

Attachments

• IMG_1631.JPG
    IMG_1631.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
That's a SATA m.2 drive. It'll go at sata3 speed.

Rei

System Name 1 Desktop/2 Laptops/1 Netbook
Processor AMD Athon X2 64/Intel Pentium 997/Intel Pentium 4/Intel Atom
Motherboard EpoX ATX motherboard/Samsung/Toshiba/Lenovo
Cooling Stock
Memory 4 GB/4 GB/2 GB/2 GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti/Intel HD Graphics/GeForce 4MX/Intel GMA
Storage 6+ TB Total
Display(s) HP Pavilion 14 Inch 1024x768@60Hz 4:3 Aspect Ratio CRT Monitor
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Power Supply Seasonic 500 Watt & VenomRX 500 Watt
Mouse Wayes Iron Man Wireless Mouse
Keyboard Rexus VR2 Wireless Keyboard
Software Win10 & WinXP SP3
Benchmark Scores It sucks...
Errr... Your sentence & your post's formatting is kinda broken there buddy, so I can't get the full gist of it but as I understand it, you want to use a M.2 SATA SSD (as pictured) on a motherboard (as pictured) that likely doesn't have M.2 slot? Then your best bet is to buy a M.2-to-PCIe adapter board. Since that SSD still uses SATA protocol, it won't saturate a PCIe 2.0 4x speed so you're fine.

Or maybe not... Cuz you mentioned that you will be filling up all those PCIe sluts, so there won't be room for an adapter board. Not to mention the additional expense of buying the adapter board. You are better off getting a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. You won't get faster speed than what you have with a M.2 SATA SSD & you'll just be paying more for it actually.

System Name Asrock 2012
Storage 1TB GIGABYTE SSD NVME PCIE 2.0 + Samsung SSD Evo 850 250GB with Ubuntu + Samsung SSD 860 500GB win7
Display(s) LG HDR 31.5"
Case Big Black Tower
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Benchmark Scores +
that sucks I gotta stay with sata3 I'm gonna make a reform on my slut

YO what about the PCIe 1x on there? can I use a NVME m2 on it? do i need at least 4 lanes?

they gotta start making these graphics cards thiner darnet.

Reactions: Rei

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
I'm gonna make a reform on my slut
My bad... :laugh: I meant to say "slots". That was a typo on my part. To bad since "slut" is an actual word, spellchecker doesn't flag it as an error.
YO what about the PCIe 1x on there? can I use a NVME m2 on it? do i need at least 4 lanes?
That depends on the adapter board but I assume it can. PCIe 2.0 1x has a speed of nearly 500 MB/s including overhead. So you'll only be losing roughly 50-80 MB/s which isn't that bad. There is a reason why that M.2 SATA SSD is cheap & that is cuz nearly nobody chooses to use such drive so that solution ended up on bargain sale.
As for NVMe SSD, don't bother using it on PCIe 2.0. Other than possible compatibility issue with your motherboard, even a 4x slot would bottleneck an NVMe SSD by 500 MB/s to 1200 MB/s depending on the NVMe SSD.
they gotta start making these graphics cards thiner darnet.
There are thinner graphics cards but mostly on mid-range to low-end cards. I assume your graphic card is that Radeon HD5570 listed on your system specs? That seems to be a mid-to-low end GPU so i dunno why it's so THICC. It could be a modded design by AIB partners & not from AMD design reference themself. But then again I dunno much about Radeon cards.

System Name Asrock 2012
Display(s) LG HDR 31.5"
Case Big Black Tower
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Benchmark Scores +
I'll just take my own life, let me know if fasters M.2 nVme will work at full speed on a pcie 1x... if what you say is true then I'll just take the sky, maybe a new motherboard will give me life. ¿Are there any more angels reading this?

• Haha
Reactions: Rei

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
I'll just take my own life, let me know if fasters M.2 nVme will work at full speed on a pcie 1x... if what you say is true then I'll just take the sky, maybe a new motherboard will give me life. ¿Are there any more angels reading this?
Yes, maybe you should upgrade your motherboard but only IF you find the benefit to be worth the cost. It's also not cheap to upgrade your mobo as you would also have to upgrade your CPU & RAM too to be compatible with your mobo with your mobo also needing compatible support for M.2 MVMe slot. I always caution others to be mindful of their budget for products they couldn't take full advantage of or if the benefit is even worth it. Does your use case really need a faster SSD over the one you have now?

System Name Asrock 2012
Display(s) LG HDR 31.5"
Case Big Black Tower
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Benchmark Scores +
I really just need more space than speed if I can't upgrade the storage I'm good with what I have but extra speed will be ¿more exciting? apps loading faster installing faster. I guess I'd just stick with 2.5" drives.

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
I really just need more space than speed if I can't upgrade the storage I'm good with what I have but extra speed will be ¿more exciting? apps loading faster installing faster. I guess I'd just stick with 2.5" drives.
I would say that, that is a good choice. Depending on what software you use, most application have a minor noticeable difference in loading & installing from what I can tell when comparing SATA SSD Vs. NVMe SSD. NVMe SSD is mostly reserved for modernist, enthusiast, hardcore gamers, prosumers, productions, etc. If you are a casual user & need more storage space, just get a high capacity 2.5 inch SATA SSD that you can comfortably afford.

EDIT: I just realized that you already have two SSDs so why the need for a third one? If it's only for storage of files, videos, music, etc. then get a mechanical HDD instead as they don't need the speed to open & load that justifies the cost of SSD. But if it's for installing software, then it's understandable but it also means that you are over-installing programs on your other SSDs.

Last edited:
System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
Errr... Your sentence & your post's formatting is kinda broken there buddy, so I can't get the full gist of it but as I understand it, you want to use a M.2 SATA SSD (as pictured) on a motherboard (as pictured) that likely doesn't have M.2 slot? Then your best bet is to buy a M.2-to-PCIe adapter board. Since that SSD still uses SATA protocol, it won't saturate a PCIe 2.0 4x speed so you're fine.

Or maybe not... Cuz you mentioned that you will be filling up all those PCIe sluts, so there won't be room for an adapter board. Not to mention the additional expense of buying the adapter board. You are better off getting a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. You won't get faster speed than what you have with a M.2 SATA SSD & you'll just be paying more for it actually.
Use protection when you fill up those PCIe sluts.