• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

10 Years Jail for Buying, Selling, Mining Crypto-currency in India: New Bill

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Sorry folks, making money is now exclusive to the rich who keep their money in tax free heavens. We can't allow the poors to be making free money on their computerwahoozits.

D

Deleted member 24505

even those that do care, and pat themselves on the back for recycling or or using electric cars, indirectly still cause pollution too. maybe the kid who invented a way to scrap plastic off the top of the ocean is decent, until he has to bury that plastic or use more electricity to recycle it with diminishing returns due to entropy. the real problem is population control and no one is having that discussion.

its also possible it will go down to $3000 again. so enjoy buying now at 8k. so good luck to you.

I personally think we should put the rubbish in massive rockets and fire it into the sun. And anyone who says it's a bad idea, just look at the Sun/Earth size comparison. As for population control.....Logan's run

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Sorry folks, making money is now exclusive to the rich who keep their money in tax free heavens. We can't allow the poors to be making free money on their computerwahoozits.

poors? vast majority of bitcoin is already owned by a few entities. , 70% of which is in China from what I last read. most of which was mined off stolen electricity from water dams etc ( I saw some pictures of massive mining setups in China hidden in the mountains)... helping poors... no... helping Chinese mostly, other nation states are just dabbling in whats left. and poors can't mine bitcoin... and haven't been able to for ages.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
A major heatwave in india 120 F who in there right mind would want to mine is a good question.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
A major heatwave in india 120 F who in there right mind would want to mine is a good question.

people who have the ability to steal electricity would mine still. there are lots who have that ability.

D

Deleted member 158293

A lot of mining farms have moved from China to Canada for cool to freezing weather and cheap hydro power which also happens to be renewable.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Why exactly should cryptocurrency be banned? People should be free to transact how they wish.

Agreed. I'm of the opinion you should ban the crime not the tool. But this seems a rare opinion now.

Low quality post by RichF
Inb4 cash is banned
Japan is already starting this. It's not banned yet, of course, but disincentives are beginning to be put into place.
There's weird theories about lead poisoning
Lead poisoning was a true problem for the Romans. They lined their baths with it. It was used for plumbing. They used lead acetate to sweeten wine. Et cetera.

Lead is what poisoned Beethoven, too. It took a long time for people to really take lead seriously. Remember leaded gasoline? Some countries still use it. Even today, I worked with a contractor who complained bitterly about what he considered (erroneously) to be ridiculous restrictions on lead. Lead continues to be a serious social problem. Lead dust from building demolition leads to brain damage in youth and crime later, in the inner city. That's just one example. People living near lead smelters have a higher crime rate. Lead has been found in elevated levels in cocoa powder and yet you don't see really anyone doing anything about that, today. The same goes for lead in fruit juices (lead arsenate was used heavily in orchards before DDT and later pesticides and contaminates the soil long-term). Lead is difficult to appreciate, in terms of its toxicity, by the casual observer because unless it is an acute poisoning (much less common), its symptoms look like a lot of other common problems. One of the things it does is make a person age more quickly, by causing cells to die. How does one go about proving that lead is causing their aging symptoms without careful modern science? Chronic poisoning by heavy metals and arsenic is tricky to diagnose even today. Van Gogh suffered badly from poisoning from arsenic and heavy metals (as well as VOCs), due to the paints he used and the environment he lived in. However, he is mainly remembered as being an example of the "artistic temperament" — not a victim of element toxicities.

As for homosexuality, that's utter rubbish in more than one way. For example, unlike the Greeks, the Romans were strongly against egalitarian homosexuality. (The Greeks were also against it but not to the same degree, particularly since older adolescents and their mentors were more commonly able to engage in intimacy). Roman men, especially those of status, were supposed to be dominant. The belief was that providing pleasure to someone else via acts that aren't seen as displays of dominance is demeaning and servile. This meant Roman men were expected to abandon the "passive" role once they reached adulthood (the time of shorn curls). I am not certain but I doubt that men of status/privilege were permitted to be the "curls" in such a relationship at all (e.g. a Hadrian and an Antinous with the roles reversed). This is in some contrast with the Greeks where such relationships (teacher and student) were more common among the elites. The Roman dominance obsession extended to heterosexual sex, with a list of things men weren't supposed to do for women, including acts commonly practiced today by heterosexuals. There are bathhouse paintings in Pompeii that depict some of the banned behaviors. Experts said the onlookers would have seen them as humorous as well as transgressive.

One of the most frequent ways to attack male politicians throughout most of history has been accusations of homosexuality and Rome was no different. Caesar, for example, was the target of such rumors — that he liked to be the "wife" of various men. Unlike most contemporary cultures, the Romans did not believe that simply engaging in homosexual activity is proof that a person is a homosexual or that it converts people. This confuses many contemporary people into falsely believing that Rome was not strongly heterosexist, despite the greater level of tolerance of dominant/submissive (based on age difference) relationships (e.g. Hadrian with Antinous until Antinous became a "real man" at the age of 21). Roman men were also free to have sex with slaves of either sex, provided they remained in the "dominant" role. By contrast, a wife could be executed by her husband for infidelity. Clearly, egalitarian relationships were at the bottom of the Roman agenda. Some (myself included) even think that elites murdered Antinous to prevent Hadrian from redefining the norm, as Hadrian wanted to continue their relationship past Antinous' 21st birthday and theoretically had the power to do so as emperor.

(I should mention that Sparta was a very different culture when looking at the Greeks. I am not an expert on it but what I understand is that it was about male dominance in a manner similar to that of Rome. However, the military — most able-bodied men basically — eschewed heterosexual relationships for the most part in favor of more drastic homosocial unity, unity brought about through things like torturous hazing. Their women, though, were also known for being tough. There is a fairly well-known example of a mother telling her son to either return home victorious or dead. My limited understanding is that Sparta was even more militarized than Rome – per capita– which is saying something.)

Last edited:
System Name Build # 5
Processor I9-9900K
Motherboard ASUS-ROG Maximus XI Hero wifi
Cooling Cosair H100i aio
Memory G.SKILL 128GB (4 x 32GB) TridentZ RGB Series DDR4 PC4-21300 2666MHz Intel XMP 2.0
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX-3090 FTW3
Storage XPG S40G 2TB RGB Nand Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) LG-65CX-Oled
Case Corsair CC-9011030-WW Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case - Black
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio card & BOSE Quietcomfort 35 II headphones
Power Supply CORSAIR-HX-1050
Software WIN 10/64
I personally think we should put the rubbish in massive rockets and fire it into the sun. And anyone who says it's a bad idea, just look at the Sun/Earth size comparison. As for population control.....Logan's run

Not really a practical solution as the "rubbish" is already traveling at 65,000mph and would have to be slowed down (in space) to hit the sun....

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 6800 XT Speedster Merc 319 Black
Storage Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850B x 2 / ASUS MG278Q
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7 / Sennheiser HD 660S
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64
So, how's that "future of Cryptocurrency" looking? :roll:

The country that educates/produces a bunch of IT technicians every year in its universities and sends them to work in the top IT related companies all around the world takes that decision? The same country that looks away from rapes and murders almost every day decides that it's better to start hunting the cryptocoin users yeah as Emilia Clarke would say "Best decision evaah". Sorry but if that doesn't sound iffy then I don't know what the hell it is.

Well let's ban everything. Jail everyone perhaps then this planet will be a better place.

Seriously I'm not into crypto (I was for a short while muchos years ago), but what's the difference between speculating and shady dealings of crypto mining and so-called stock exchanges? Speculation on both end. Scaring people to drive prices up and then selling before everybody else manages to catch-up. Hedge-funds - glorious example of pure legal thievery. Organizations which produce/manufacture nothing, sell nothing, circulate fictional funds/goods round and round and round the clock, yet they always profit from others misfortune. It is in the name "hedge" (like bush, shrubbery*). How the F legal thievery is 'legal' on stock exchanges but crypto mining is bad? Politicians are lowest form of life in this Universe. Period. :mad:

* - all hedge funds are probably ran by Knights who say Ni. :laugh:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
A lot of mining farms have moved from China to Canada for cool to freezing weather and cheap hydro power which also happens to be renewable.

not a lot of people. you have no way to measure this and provide proof, the vast majority of people never move without a small region of where they were born due to setting down roots, family, friends, money related, etc.

The country that educates/produces a bunch of IT technicians every year in its universities and sends them to work in the top IT related companies all around the world takes that decision? The same country that looks away from rapes and murders almost every day decides that it's better to start hunting the cryptocoin users yeah as Emilia Clarke would say "Best decision evaah". Sorry but if that doesn't sound iffy then I don't know what the hell it is.

it's just a shame it has to contribute to global warming in such a large way.

D

Deleted member 158293

not a lot of people. you have no way to measure this and provide proof, the vast majority of people never move without a small region of where they were born due to setting down roots, family, friends, money related, etc.

It's actually old news... here's another Bloomberg link. Lots of news about it...

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
That bill should be inplemented all over the world.

This.

Kill it with fire

Agreed. I'm of the opinion you should ban the crime not the tool. But this seems a rare opinion now.

I agree completely. But on what level? The actual 'tool' here is not cryptocurrency, because that is still primarily used not as a currency (we come upon the old discussion of its intended use versus the way it has been implemented and what use results out of that = speculation only).

The tool here, in my book, is the hardware used to mine crypto. The buying and selling of it is only a result of it getting mined.

So this law does exactly what you say it should be doing. It keeps the tool (GPU/ASIC) safe from the nefarious activity done with it. Or, at least, intends to :D And of course a range of beneficial side effects to the normal economy as well.

On a larger scale, crypto mining and trading is a tremendous and pointless waste of resources that offers zero benefits to society as it is today - and the miners created that reality themselves.

Well let's ban everything. Jail everyone perhaps then this planet will be a better place.

Seriously I'm not into crypto (I was for a short while muchos years ago), but what's the difference between speculating and shady dealings of crypto mining and so-called stock exchanges? Speculation on both end. Scaring people to drive prices up and then selling before everybody else manages to catch-up. Hedge-funds - glorious example of pure legal thievery. Organizations which produce/manufacture nothing, sell nothing, circulate fictional funds/goods round and round and round the clock, yet they always profit from others misfortune. It is in the name "hedge" (like bush, shrubbery*). How the F legal thievery is 'legal' on stock exchanges but crypto mining is bad? Politicians are lowest form of life in this Universe. Period. :mad:

* - all hedge funds are probably ran by Knights who say Ni. :laugh:

The stock exchange is tied to the real economy and crypto is not. Different degrees of wrong, I agree, but different nonetheless. The difference lies in the presence of checks and balances. The stock market has tons of those in the way of regulation (should be far more strict iMO) but mostly in the way of its effects on everything else. Stock markets are about emotions, trends, moods of the day and psychology. That alone is a powerful mechanism that crypto doesn't really have to the same extent - after all, crypto boom or crash has no effect on our daily lives, but a stock market crash really does.

The problem there is that there is a shadow economy that will infect the real one, which eats away at that mechanism we have in the real economy. That creates friction countries really don't like, its a lack of control they will seek to regain.

Last edited:

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
That bill should be inplemented all over the world.
Totally agree. Every time when there's a mining craze, graphics cards will go to insane prices and gamers have to pay more because of that.

Drugs and other illegal stuff can still be bought with cash like always, no need for toy money there also. :D

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
I fully expect the enforcement for this go to total shit. Sorry, but India is not ready for something like that.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Totally agree. Every time when there's a mining craze, graphics cards will go to insane prices and gamers have to pay more because of that.

Drugs and other illegal stuff can still be bought with cash like always, no need for toy money there also. :D
So you want miners to go to jail for 10 years because of graphics card shortages?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
So, how's that "future of Cryptocurrency" looking? :roll:

Just fine. India's always been weird ala currency. Anyways if this bill wasn't so harsh I'd be at least ok with it in concept. As it stands it's rediculess.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
So you want miners to go to jail for 10 years because of graphics card shortages?
Why not. :cool:

...jk

edit: in fact, you can get a lesser sentence from second degree murder here in Finland than 10 years. Our justice system is nothing but a joke.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Why not. :cool:

...jk

edit: in fact, you can get a lesser sentence from second degree murder here in Finland than 10 years. Our justice system is nothing but a joke.

I mean, most justice systems are, but that's not an excuse to actively make things worse... lol.

Don't worry it's just this new trend of banning competitors (Iran/Venezuela's oil, Huawei, BTC...)
I wonder who came up with this bill? Banking lobby?

"found buying, selling, holding, or mining crypto-currency in India "
The efficiency of this will really depend upon how this is practically formulated.