• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

12 Core / 24 Thread Dell Precision T7500 Refresh + CPU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Dual Socket HP z820 Workstation
Processor Twin Intel Xeon E5 2673 v2 OEM processors (thats a total of 16C/32T)
Motherboard HP Dual Socket Motherboard
Cooling Stock HP liquid cooling
Memory 64GB Registered ECC memory kit (octal channel memory on this rig)
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X 8GB
Storage 2 x 512GB SSD in raid 0
Display(s) Acer 23" 75Hz Gaming monitors 1080P x2
Case Brushed Aluminium
Audio Device(s) Integrated (5.1)
Power Supply HP 1125W Stock PSU
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yes, I am well aware that this platform is relatively out dated (LGA 1366). I'm doing it for the thrills, for me its a passion, especially in these trying times we are all living through...

So I'm back at it. I simply cannot go one day without surrounding myself with new pieces of high performance hardware for this or that...

Plus, this build stuff helps keep my mind off of the current circumstances of our nation and our world. And yes... We are going to pretty much max out every aspect of the build, whether it be storage or PCI-E expansion for graphics rendering or something else that requires some serious throughput.

We will be populating both CPU sockets, and this time we will be working with TWO Intel Xeon X5690 Six-Core 3.46GHz 12MB Cache SLBVX processors. These are basically the fastest processors your can get within the 5600 series. And their 130w TDP reflects that!

So in that spirit, I just pulled the trigger on a Dual Socket Dell T7500 tower via eBay. Going to be running two SSDs in a raid 0 as the boot drive, and with the processor upgrade, this thing should fly!. And at the end of the day, that makes this a bad ass machine.

This processor as a base frequency of 3.46GHz...and boost clocks look like this:

3733 MHz (1 or 2 cores)
3600 MHz (3 or more cores)

The rig:

CPUs were purchased as a pair, and for peace of mind, I found a US seller.

2nd CPU cooling fans for my two z820 builds

Looks okay, whodunit ya say?

2nd CPU ... note active cooling on the memory as well...

Some processor specs for this CPU:
General information
TypeCPU / Microprocessor
Market segmentServer
Family
Intel Xeon 5600
Model number
X5690
CPU part numbers
  • AT80614005913AB is an OEM/tray microprocessor
  • BX80614X5690 is a boxed microprocessor
Frequency ?3467 MHz
Maximum turbo frequency3733 MHz (1 or 2 cores)
3600 MHz (3 or more cores)
Bus speed ?6.4 GT/s QPI (3200 MHz)
Clock multiplier ?26
Package1366-land Flip-Chip Land Grid Array (FC-LGA10)
SocketSocket 1366 / B / LGA1366
Size1.77" x 1.67" / 4.5cm x 4.25cm
Introduction dateFeb 13, 2011
Price at introduction$1663

Last edited:
So I'm back at it. I simply cannot go one day without surrounding myself with new pieces of high performance hardware for this or that...

Dude you've got the same problem that I have. Used tech addiction. It's like the tech version of being a crackhead, where you just can't help yourself but keep surfing the web all day to purchase more gear. I've had to straight up ban myself from Ebay, Cex, etc because I'm too good at finding good deals and it's draining my bank account. The struggle is real.

ime.gapj

Dude you've got the same problem that I have. Used tech addiction. It's like the tech version of being a crackhead, where you just can't help yourself but keep surfing the web all day to purchase more gear. I've had to straight up ban myself from Ebay, Cex, etc because I'm too good at finding good deals and it's draining my bank account. The struggle is real.
This is so true, I am finding myself falling into the same "issue".

System Name Precision T7500
Processor xeon X5680 (x2) @3.33Ghz
Motherboard Factory
Cooling Factory
Memory 96Gb DDR3 (6x16GB)
Video Card(s) GeForce GT710
Storage 970 EVO NVMe (x2), 860 EVO SSD, 840 EVO mSATA, SPCC SSD, various spinners
Display(s) Basic
Case Factory
Software Linux
@storm-chaser

Joined today just so I could ask if the CPU upgrade worked out for you. I have a T7500 as well and I'm looking to upgrade to the x5690 (hopefully)

From all my research, it seems like it should work for me. I currently have dual e5645, I'll add my specs in a bit...

Regards,
Nepo

Status
Not open for further replies.