• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Akasa noir S 2.5" USB 3.0

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
USB 3.0 enclosures seem to become more affordable by the minute and the noir S combines a stylish brushed Aluminum shell with the new, speedy interface. We take the unit apart and give it a run for its money to see how the no-frills USB 3.0 enclosure performs.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
The enclosure utilizes a JMicron JMS539 controller, which can also be found within many other USB 3.0 enclosures. You can read up on the "Super Speed USB to SATA II 6.0 Gbps bridge" here. There are three small LEDs on the front edge of the PCB as well. I should note - regardless of which enclosure you have, it seems like the JMS539 won't play nice with some driver versions of the NEC USB 3.0 controller. I had to try out various combinations of drivers and firmware to get everything up and running for this benchmark. This is by no means the fault of Akasa, but of JMicron and/or NEC!
sounds like the problem i have with my My Passport 3.0 500GB external drive, when i turned off power saving/turn off drive after xx minutes this seems to have fixed the problem for me

par

The enclosure utilizes a JMicron JMS539 controller, which can also be found within many other USB 3.0 enclosures. You can read up on the "Super Speed USB to SATA II 6.0 Gbps bridge" here. There are three small LEDs on the front edge of the PCB as well. I should note - regardless of which enclosure you have, it seems like the JMS539 won't play nice with some driver versions of the NEC USB 3.0 controller. I had to try out various combinations of drivers and firmware to get everything up and running for this benchmark. This is by no means the fault of Akasa, but of JMicron and/or NEC!

Hello guys,

I reopen the discussion because I'm considering buying this box, but I'm worried about the problem of the controller .. I have a GA-X58A-UD7
rev.2 that works with NEC USB 3.0.

I would like to know if you know if this problem has been solved with new versions of drivers or firmware, or
possibly want to know which versions of drivers and firmware were used in testing, so that if I have problems I
can use the same versions of the your tests.

Or maybe it's better that I'm looking for another box?

Sorry for my bad English :) Thanks, have a nice week end ;)

wergio

it seems like the JMS539 won't play nice with some driver versions of the NEC USB 3.0 controller. I had to try out various combinations of drivers and firmware to get everything up and running for this benchmark.

Can you tell us the exact combination of drivers used? NEC firmware, NEC drivers, JMS539 firmware.

I've a similare USB enclosure based on JMS539 and a NEC USB3 and I can't use my external disk because it keeps disconnecting... tryed various firmware/driver combination...