• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooler Master V550S with 3D Circuit Design

Cooler Master is taking big strides in the right direction lately, at least in terms of PSUs. They initially released the V series offering great performance at affordable prices and have now added the VS series to their arsenal. Today, we will take a look at the V550S unit with Enhance's new 3D circuit design.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
what a awesome review i noticed the new way in review this time it's great, nice work mate next time i want to hear your voice in video , good work

CM Phaedrus

Thanks for the positive review! Couple notes,

We don't need a cable grommet because the edges of the metal casing are rolled back. There's no sharp edge and thus no need for a dedicated plastic grommet. Many companies use this technique, and it is in many ways superior to using plastic.

I think it's also worth mentioning that we cleared Platinum efficiency easily. ;)

Processor Intel i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
Motherboard Asrock z77 Extreme4
Memory 8GB Corsair LP 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte gtx570 + Evga gtx570 HD
Storage Corsair Force GT 120gb
Display(s) Samsung 931bw
Case Cooler Master Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair vx550
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64
You really should be harder on these power supplies with not enough pci-e connectors.

In this day and age a psu like this with its full 550w available on the 12v could easily power up to 2 x 7950's with an intel chip. Nobody likes having to resort to adapters. I think the psu's final rating should be more affected by such limitations.

Also the psu having an extra 3% more efficiency at low loads is sort of irrelevant really. When a psu is released which has 3% more efficiency at normal load situations than those currently available, then I'll be impressed.

Processor Intel i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
Motherboard Asrock z77 Extreme4
Memory 8GB Corsair LP 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte gtx570 + Evga gtx570 HD
Storage Corsair Force GT 120gb
Display(s) Samsung 931bw
Case Cooler Master Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair vx550
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Thanks for the positive review! Couple notes,

We don't need a cable grommet because the edges of the metal casing are rolled back. There's no sharp edge and thus no need for a dedicated plastic grommet. Many companies use this technique, and it is in many ways superior to using plastic.

I think it's also worth mentioning that we cleared Platinum efficiency easily. ;)

It's not about needing grommets - it just looks more complete and premium when there is one since there is no gap between the cables and casing. It also shows attention to detail by the manufacturer.

CM Phaedrus

Understood! But when trying to make a great unit at a low price point, you have to prioritize. Five cents for a plastic grommet to make the unit look slightly cleaner, means five cents shaved somewhere else.

$89.99 is the MSRP. Once you see the street price of these units, you will be amazed, and the CoolerMaster VS series will jump to the top of the Performance/$ metric. :)

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Nice review and seems like a nice PSU but the quality has me thinking how long will it last.

With bad joints and parts barely soldered on and near shorts and that's just going by one of the pictures

System Name ChaosMoes
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3570K no OC yet
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Scythe Ninja 3 Rev. B
Memory 16GB 2xPatriot DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1866 Kit (PV38G186C9KRD, Viper 3 Venom Red)
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 590 Phantom Gaming X 8GB GDDR5 188€@13.07.19 Amazon Sale
Storage Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, + ST32000645NS Seagate Constellation 109€ reichelt.de 2012
Display(s) 27" Phillips PHL 276E9Q 189€ @ Saturn(Germany) 1.09.2018
Case Zaria A20 !!!THANK YOU TECHPOWERUP.COM!!!
Audio Device(s) onboard Sound
Power Supply SeaSonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Microsoft SideWinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
wow first i looked at the "trace" left middle and was shocked as i know my bequit psu internals this looks dirty but what the heck, just someone forgot to clean the flux of....

but then the chip on the right bottom... solder pads?
are you guys insane, that looks like a short or close to.. wrong package and way to narrow!

Last edited:
Nice review and seems like a nice PSU but the quality has me thinking how long will it last.

With bad joints and parts barely soldered on and near shorts and that's just going by one of the pictures]

I don't have any bad joints in my sample, on the other hand found 7 solders balls, one big piece of sodler barely holding and the +5 V path to modular panel is not fully covered with solder, leaving plain copper.

I managed to identify the bridge rectifier, it is GBU15L06.

EDIT: It seems this PSU is the furnace to test the Teapo CG polymers. It filters the +5 V SB output together with some suscon crap, there is not a Pi filter, just these two caps. We'll see in a few years how good or bad they are…

Last edited:

nem

I don't have any bad joints in my sample, on the other hand found 7 solders balls, one big piece of sodler barely holding and the +5 V path to modular panel is not fully covered with solder, leaving plain copper.

I managed to identify the bridge rectifier, it is GBU15L06.

EDIT: It seems this PSU is the furnace to test the Teapo CG polymers. It filters the +5 V SB output together with some suscon crap, there is not a Pi filter, just these two caps. We'll see in a few years how good or bad they are…
but if the caps got to to die always is posible reemplace them or not..?

Sure but most people cannot do that and they don't have good caps. I can sell them or do that for them but still most will just throw it away. Also good PSU just does not have anything you will need to replace yourself in a few years, good PSU works at least a decade only with some dust cleaning.

nem

Sure but most people cannot do that and they don't have good caps. I can sell them or do that for them but still most will just throw it away. Also good PSU just does not have anything you will need to replace yourself in a few years, good PSU works at least a decade only with some dust cleaning.
to me the best of this psu is always over 90% of eficiency in all conditions low loads and hight loads...and like are a new platform maybe with some improvements could be upgrade to platinum eficiency ^^

Last edited: