• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1st time post.x850xt overheat, i need advice

harry raven

Hi folks. I seem to be having problems with my vid card.
First of all , im no tech head. I know some basics pc build knowlage but thats about it..
My system is as follows..
Amd 64 -3500+/ 1 gig ram/ asus a8n-e/radeon x850xt (pci/e).

It all started with certain games i seemed to be getting a loud 'beep' from my pc, and took this as a warning of some sort.
I checked the temp on the vid card using the catalyst program which is the latest by the way, and the temp was way up over 80 when i checked..
I just installed ghost recon advance warfare and was getting the beep again so i terminated the program and did some serching to what was causing this problem..
Somebody told me to download this ati tool, and i have just run it while playing graw and it clocked the temp at 95.4 which im guessing is bad.
Ive checked the mobo temp and cpu and they seem fine and well within the threshold.
so if anyone can offer me any advice or any help of any sory, i would really appriciate it..

Thanks for you time..
harry...

jforrer_08

I had the same card.. not the same problem but i think i can help you out!

Get into ati tool and set the fan speeds high.. idk around 70 or higher whatever but most ati cards stock the fans are set to only like 15% or maybe even 5% so i would check that out!!

M

markkleb

In my RedChrome build I started with the same card. When I took off the heatsink to add AS-5 I noticed the copperbase was JUNK!(it had groves and a lip)

Replace that JUNK cooler with a AC cooler, problem solved.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
yes fitting an artic silencer is the easy answer.. both silent and cools the card well..

trog

harry raven

Ok guys, thanks very much for your replys, its much appriciated, i guess if i want a decent answer, ask the folks who know..
OK as im in the uk ive found this..heres the link, i guess this what your talking about...
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=11428&GroupID=1126

Also, is it hard to fit and replace, as it would be the first bit of major sugury ive done on a pc..

thanks again folks..

M

markkleb

yep thats the one. It will help a lot with noise and temps.. Have fun...

harry raven

Im stunned guys.
i set the fan speed in ati tool from 5% to 100% and it was like a space shuttle taking off.
just shows how much it was under performing i guess.lol

I will for sure though get the new artic cooler fan for the card..
Just need to know how hard or easy it is to fit for a novice...

cheers

M

markkleb

Its pretty easy and the site AC Cooling shows you how. Make sure to use Arctic Silver 5 too.

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
The stock stuff actually outperforms AS5 by a few degrees C, is already applied, and doesn't come with the risk of electrocuting your GPU :p. I reccomend you use nail polish remover and Q tips for removing the stock thermal compound. To take the old cooler off, you need to remove all screws that are on the back of the card, jiggle the backplate and heatsink until the entire cooler is removed. After that's done, clean the thermal paste off of the GPU (if you don't have nail polish remover handy, there are some other things you can use, I just don't know what they are). Then just put the silencer on as shown here (and also remember to take off the little stickers on all the thermal pads that go on the memory chips). And then just stick the card back in your system and have fun!