1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1TB WD Blue Spindown noise

Discussion in 'Storage' started by KainXS, Jan 10, 2017 at 3:18 PM.

1. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I picked up a 1TB blue(WD10EZEX) to replace a an old hitachi in my friends PC but when I was testing it I noticed it was much louder than the old 7200 rpm hitachi.

this is a clip of how it sounds, every fan is off besides the cpu fan(spinup and spindown)
    https://soundcloud.com/user-285338497/wd-blue-spinup-spindown

I almost always buy seagate so I don't know if this is normal for a blue as I haven't bought one in years(besides blacks).

drive also says it has reallocated sectors and spin up error but I think thats normal for WD Drives.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017 at 3:26 PM
  2. Vya Domus

Vya Domus

Thanks Received:
    You get these sounds randomly or just at startup/when the disk is used ? Sounds awfully similar to an old seagate drive I had , also got reallocated bad sectors , it died soon after.

3. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I get them on every startup and shutdown and the spindown sound whenever the drive goes idle and also when seeking sometimes theirs a grinding noise(its not that bad though).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017 at 4:55 PM
  4. Vya Domus

Vya Domus

Thanks Received:
    Then it could be normal , check advanced power settings under your power pan and see if the hard drive is set to turn off after a given time , it could be that it is just spinning up and down due to that. As for the grinding noise , sorry but there is just no way to tell if it's just noisy or failing , keeping an eye on SMART values is your best bet and see if anything changes.

KainXS says thanks.
  5. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    after looking at some info online it seems that the WD10EZEX is very similar to a WD1003FZEX(Black 1TB)

explains why its so noisy.

6. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    That noise is normal. It will fade in time. Atleast that's what happend to mine.

KainXS says thanks.
  7. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    OK I'm hoping it does, if it does I might keep it myself and pick him up a barracuda.

8. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I have two of the same drives, and the spinup noise is there, maybe a bit faded. I don't thinl I have the same spin down noise though, or I have jist gotten used to it. :p

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    Yea its that spindown noise thats driving me nuts, the spinup noise I don't care about really.

10. SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD WD Rep

Thanks Received:
    Hey there, @KainXS!

I'm sorry to hear about the noises coming from your new WD Blue 1 TB HDD. :( I'd advise you to check the connections to the drive and make sure it's properly mounted inside your PC. There shouldn't be any loose screws. If you have access to another computer, you might also want to check how the HDD is performing there as well. If by any chance its performance degrades, you should definitely get in touch with our Customer Support and RMA that WD Blue drive.

I'd definitely keep an eye on the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the Data LifeGuard Diagnostics tool every once in awhile. This will keep your peace of mind.
    Moreover, I'd also recommend you do regular backups of your data from the 1 TB drive onto another storage device/service. Having duplicates of your files, stored in multiple locations/drives is what will save you from the potential data-loss headaches! So better be safe than sorry, right? :)

Hope this helps you. Keep us posted if you encounter further issues.
    SuperSoph_WD

KainXS says thanks.