• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1usmus Custom Power Plan for Ryzen 3000 Zen 2 Processors

@1usmus once again thanks!

A little feedback.
It works, 3900x + taichi x370. I've seen boosts of 4575 and 4550 using vcore in auto, which was not possible before, and scoring 3156 in cb15 with 82C
But, once I set vcore to 1.25v I see boosts of 4.5max and score of 3173 with 71C.

And, when using vcore in auto the system hangs for while and comes back, let's say I'm browsing and I change tabs in firefox it freezes, then I switch tabs and the next software would also be frozen in the screen (not responding), if I click on menu start it would pop up and be there, stuck for around 5-6 seconds then all comes to normality.

Once I set vcore to fixed, the issue goes away. Same happens if I leave vcore auto and use balanced power plain, but once I change to high performance the issue disappears.

BitsInBytes

I updated my post, but just throwing this here for anyone keeping up to date on this.

If things are not working for you, try to disable PBO / auto overclocking. At least for me I have discovered if I attempt to enable PBO or use the auto overclocking features like the +500 mhz per core, I am back to square one. Not sure I understand why this is happening so I need to leave PBO settings in my motherboard to [Auto]. It does not seem to matter which setting I change, the second I enable any overdrive feature, adjust EDC (or others) or overclocking I am back to 4400 mhz top and my performance drops across the board.

Cresp0pt

I have the B450 Tomahawk (not max) and i cant find the cppc, all the others options are there but the cppc are not, any help?

System Name The Purp
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Kraken X62
Memory Gskill Royal Silver 15-16-15-15 @3800
Video Card(s) RTX 2080 Strix OC
Storage NVME Samsung Evo 970 Plus 2 TB, Samsung Evo 860 4 TB
Display(s) LG 4K
Case Thermaltake View 71 RGB
Power Supply EVGA 850G+
Mouse Steel Series Sensei 10
Keyboard Steel Series Apex 150
Software Win 10
I think a lot of people are missing the point of all this. Windows 10 is horrible at picking the fastest cores to use, it just doesn't work. Enter this power plan and settings, and suddenly it works the way it is supposed to. I am on 1.0.0.4 B and wasn't hitting 4600 on my 3900X, now i am hitting 4625 on 2 cores, and none below 4200. Remember, when your playing a game, most favor single core speeds, and with the way these Bios tweaks work, as well as the power plan, your game will be using the fastest cores available, as well as any other software your using. On my Taichi X570, i am seeing all cores boosted above what they were previously.

Awesome work 1usmus, thanks.

On my Taichi X570

* Advanced\AMD CBS\CPU Common Options we find the Global C-State Control & Power Supply Idle Control

* Advanced\AMD CBS\NBIO Common Options\SMU Common Options we find CPPC & CPPC Preferred Cores

Hi 1usmus,
question:
how can we edit the power plan?
and what we should try to change in case your fine tuning is not working well on our specific system?
in my case its a 3700X and X570 Asus motherboard (with windows 10 latest insider)
and I'm not able to get a flat CPU usage line like you got.

I updated my post, but just throwing this here for anyone keeping up to date on this.

If things are not working for you, try to disable PBO / auto overclocking. At least for me I have discovered if I attempt to enable PBO or use the auto overclocking features like the +500 mhz per core, I am back to square one. Not sure I understand why this is happening so I need to leave PBO settings in my motherboard to [Auto]. It does not seem to matter which setting I change, the second I enable any overdrive feature, adjust EDC (or others) or overclocking I am back to 4400 mhz top and my performance drops across the board.

Cool mate.

And yes I've noticed the same. The screenshots are purely from PBO on default and not enabled. No other features activated. Excactly as recommended by 1usmus. But as you can see for me there is no change whatsoever. And you can see temperatures are not that high so it's not thermally throttled in any way. It might be board or processor dependent. Or even bios. I can have a try with 1.0.0.3 ABBA which boosted better than 1.0.0.4 B. But since 1usmus is on 1.0.0.4 B I tried to replicate his config as much as possible to get his results. The differences being B450M Mortar Max and 3800X instead of whatever Godlike board he used and 3900X. In his earlier posts he clearly stated that effects were best for 3900X but slightly on other SKUs too. Which I can't confirm to have found.

It's stable and smooth though. So was Ryzen Balanced for me.

I'm looking forward to his version 2 that he was talking about on Twitter and I am very happy for the people that were helped by this already.

Other than that. I'm not missing huge performance at all with the 3800X so there is literally nothing to complain about other than no real improvement.

Keep up the good work 1usmus.

Adad

This does not work for me, even I lost performance. I am on a AsRock ab350m Pro4 and a Ryzen 3600. My mother board still have the 1.0.0.3 ABB and I did everything in the instructions, except for the AMD Cool'n'Quiet and the PPC Adjustment because they are not in my board or I am blind: does not work and my CB R15 and 20 score decresed, in game the beaviour seems equal.

Olster_1

Hey everyone..

What's the full settings used for the mobo for this.. I tried it and I did get a good score on geekbench 5 CPU and an ok cinebench 20 score.. but my 3800 x isn't boosting past 4.469 MHz.. what about the pbo and other settings..

System is 3800x
Gigabyte elite x570 mobo
240mm TT RIing 3.0 AIO
16gb 3200 mhz vengeance ram
Gigabyte G1 Gtx 1070ti
512 GB samsung 960 pro nvme ssd
512 GB intel 660p nvme
750gb wd storage drive

I have had boost upto 4.55 GHz before.. but can't seem to get back to that..

Last edited:

techpowerupadmin

Ryzen 3600 with Boost Override = 200 (That is, theoretically, 4.4GHz).
Set 1usmus power plan. Ran CPU-Z benchmark.
It seems that it prefers C01 (fastest in CCX0) over C05 (fastest in CCX1 and the fastest in the system)

Some of the options of the bios or the plan corrected an annoying problem with the audio that clipping/stuttering.
So I am extremely grateful!

aorus master x570

Processor Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 2x16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega64 Nitro+
Storage SSD Samsung Evo 850 128Gb + 2xHDD Toshiba 1Tb 7200 rpm
Display(s) Dell P3418HW
Case Corsair Carbide 400R
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W
followed instructions, no difference for my 3600X.. same clocks. B450 Aorus Elite 1.0.0.3 ABBA..

lubomirz

best achievements are with 3900x / 3950x CPUs and TOP TIER motherboards. You can't expect 4.6GHz single-core boost on AB350 or B450 motherboards as those use CRAPPY VRMs, have crappy unoptimized BIOSes and generally were not designed/constructed to run Ryzen 3000 CPUs. Also, many other factors come into the game :

- cooling (did you know it's a huge difference if you have 4layer PCB motherboard and 6layer PCB ?), cooler itself (sure it's better to have custom 360mm water than AMD box cooler)
- power delivery (not just VRMs on the motherboard, but power supply plays extreme role here, we are talking sudden spikes of dozens and dozens of amperes so the power has to be clean end-to-end)
- Windows installation itself (build 1903 ? 25 games already installed and system in bad shape ?)
- amount of drivers uninstallation / reinstallation and mess left in Windows after that
- BIOS optimizations [especially 1.0.0.4 AGESA might help tremendously] and settings [ SOC 1.15V or CPU 1.475V and expecting miracles ? ]
- general board design / layout + unimaginable factors such as case airflow directly affecting for example temperatures of chipset

etc etc.

BTW, did you know that 3600 CPUs are the worst silicon coming out of factory ? IF they wouldn't be, they would be 3800x :) Seriously, take a look at this voltage graphs and think about it for a split of a second :

14:12 notice how 3600 with stock cooler has 4 fps less than the same 3600 with different cooler - does it remind you something ? Maybe 50-100MHz higher boost due to temperature ?
14:33 CHECK HOW TREMENDOUS DIFFERENCES THERE ARE BETWEEN CPUs !!! there's no escaping it : 3600/3600x are BY FAR THE WORST silicons no matter how you look at that - these 6cores need 0.15V more [!!!] to run 4250MHz than their 8core [!!] 3700x brother.
Also notice how 12core 3900x are better than 8core 3800x ... how much less voltage they need to drive 50% more cores at the same frequency. Now you understand why 3900 can boost couple of MHz higher than 3600 ??

Nobody is guaranteed to achieve significant gains out of this power plan ; users with new&clean Windows installation, 3900X CPUs, HIGH-END x570 motherboards and high-end cooling are MORE LIKELY to see results out of this. Apologies to disappoint anyone, just be realistic : don't expect to run 4.7GHz 3600 on B450 with box cooler and 4000+ CineBench score.

Yes, even x570 motherboards below 200$ are SOMEHOW CRAP, the only exceptions are Asus TUG Gaming and Gigabyte Aorus Elite - all other motherboard are UNABLE to cope with temperatures of heavily overclocked CPUs and their VRM design is just non-sense, if you think this will not affect your CPU results you are about to have a surprising day.

Also, BIOSes are not created equal : I guess any benefits are much prone to show up with 1.0.0.4 than with 1.0.0.3 AGESA.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 2x16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega64 Nitro+
Storage SSD Samsung Evo 850 128Gb + 2xHDD Toshiba 1Tb 7200 rpm
Display(s) Dell P3418HW
Case Corsair Carbide 400R
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W
best achievements are with 3900x / 3950x CPUs and TOP TIER motherboards. You can't expect 4.6GHz single-core boost on AB350 or B450 motherboards as those use CRAPPY VRMs, have crappy unoptimized BIOSes and generally were not designed/constructed to run Ryzen 3000 CPUs. Also, many other factors come into the game :

- cooling (did you know it's a huge difference if you have 4layer PCB motherboard and 6layer PCB ?), cooler itself (sure it's better to have custom 360mm water than AMD box cooler)
- power delivery (not just VRMs on the motherboard, but power supply plays extreme role here, we are talking sudden spikes of dozens and dozens of amperes so the power has to be clean end-to-end)
- Windows installation itself (build 1903 ? 25 games already installed and system in bad shape ?)
- amount of drivers uninstallation / reinstallation and mess left in Windows after that
- BIOS optimizations [especially 1.0.0.4 AGESA might help tremendously] and settings [ SOC 1.15V or CPU 1.475V and expecting miracles ? ]
- general board design / layout + unimaginable factors such as case airflow directly affecting for example temperatures of chipset

etc etc.

BTW, did you know that 3600 CPUs are the worst silicon coming out of factory ? IF they wouldn't be, they would be 3800x :) Seriously, take a look at this voltage graphs and think about it for a split of a second :

14:12 notice how 3600 with stock cooler has 4 fps less than the same 3600 with different cooler - does it remind you something ? Maybe 50-100MHz higher boost due to temperature ?
14:33 CHECK HOW TREMENDOUS DIFFERENCES THERE ARE BETWEEN CPUs !!! there's no escaping it : 3600/3600x are BY FAR THE WORST silicons no matter how you look at that - these 6cores need 0.15V more [!!!] to run 4250MHz than their 8core [!!] 3700x brother.
Also notice how 12core 3900x are better than 8core 3800x ... how much less voltage they need to drive 50% more cores at the same frequency. Now you understand why 3900 can boost couple of MHz higher than 3600 ??

Nobody is guaranteed to achieve significant gains out of this power plan ; users with new&clean Windows installation, 3900X CPUs, HIGH-END x570 motherboards and high-end cooling are MORE LIKELY to see results out of this. Apologies to disappoint anyone, just be realistic : don't expect to run 4.7GHz 3600 on B450 with box cooler and 4000+ CineBench score.

Yes, even x570 motherboards below 200$ are SOMEHOW CRAP, the only exceptions are Aus TUG Gaming and Gigabyte Aorus Elite - all other motherboard are UNABLE to cope with temperatures and their VRM design is just crap, if you think this will not affect your CPU results you are about to have a surprising day.

Also, BIOSes are not created equal : I guess any benefits are much prone to show up with 1.0.0.4 than with 1.0.0.3 AGESA.

Ryzen 1, 2 and 3 all go into same socket... a320, b450...x570 chipsets all support the same cpus with bios update...so, not that differently engineered ( constructed as You mention ) one from another. Handicapped in a way to set them apart, yes. I have a320 Asrock board that supports 3600x just fine.. If they didn't handicap overclocking thru bios a320 could pull that off to some extent also.. not stellar like x570, but sufficient in it's own way.

As for VRm... VRM's primary purpose is to lower and control voltage sent to cpu...not created very extraodinary...kinda like a small transformer in it's own way.
I have Corsair TX 750W PSU, clean install of 1903 Windows 10... No one is expecting anything, people try it for themselves and post their findings here. ( comments sections have that purpose anyway )
After all interested parties try it out some sort of statistics may come out and everyone will know for which cpus and mobos this makes sense and in which measure.
All cpus are not created equal and that is a known fact, because of that someone with 3600x will see I had no luck on my piece of silicon...but may prove differently with his.
That's why all of this interests us and keeps us interested..

torsoreaper

I'm on an Hero VIII X570 with 360mm water cooling in a 900D that's got more airflow than a automobile wind tunnel. So far this power plan does absolutely nothing for me. I really think it's coming down to being able to access some of the bios features that he says in the instructions. People who have good results seem to be x570 AsRock and MSI and people who seem to not be able to get it to work are the Asus and others.

I'm on an Hero VIII X570 with 360mm water cooling in a 900D that's got more airflow than a automobile wind tunnel. So far this power plan does absolutely nothing for me. I really think it's coming down to being able to access some of the bios features that he says in the instructions. People who have good results seem to be x570 AsRock and MSI and people who seem to not be able to get it to work are the Asus and others.
apparently its the trend. I have an Asus board and not able to flatten the core usage. just a little increase of about 25mhz, around 4225, but still far away from 4.4Ghz for my 3700X

Must. Test. On. Zen1!

For a 2x00 series, enable PBO/XFR and put thermal / current limit on maximum. Now slightly, and i'm just talking only a notch, undervolt the CPU and keep the CPU cores within 60 degrees of thermals. For a 2700x this is pretty tough, knowing it's small procede and the thermal heat density it puts out. But with a 360mm radiator your pretty close to that.

Now enjoy 4.35Ghz single core boost and 4.2Ghz all core boost. Once the water heats up the all core boost usually drops around 4.1Ghz due to temperatures. At least this is the best scenario for my 2700x for now. It's not a world of difference at all those few mhz' more.

System Name The Purp
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Kraken X62
Memory Gskill Royal Silver 15-16-15-15 @3800
Video Card(s) RTX 2080 Strix OC
Storage NVME Samsung Evo 970 Plus 2 TB, Samsung Evo 860 4 TB
Display(s) LG 4K
Case Thermaltake View 71 RGB
Power Supply EVGA 850G+
Mouse Steel Series Sensei 10
Keyboard Steel Series Apex 150
Software Win 10
Where to find cppc in asrock bios?
* Advanced\AMD CBS\CPU Common Options we find the Global C-State Control & Power Supply Idle Control

* Advanced\AMD CBS\NBIO Common Options\SMU Common Options we find CPPC & CPPC Preferred Cores

HoneyBadgerSloth

Am I retarded?
I can't find the settings in my BIOS (ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair Hero VIII Wifi), somebody with the same board?

1usmus

AMD Memory Guru
Hello everyone :)

I have a suggestion for those who are still experiencing a boost problem:
  • CPPC = Enabled
  • CPPC Preferred Cores = Disabled
The meaning of these settings is that we use CPPC, but do not use the core marking from AMD. Task Scheduler will select cores from ACPI table.

Am I retarded?
I can't find the settings in my BIOS (ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair Hero VIII Wifi), somebody with the same board?

1004B for ur board https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...FI/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VIII-HERO-WIFI-ASUS-1105.zip

p.s. press F9 in BIOS and type what u want to find

Last edited:
Hello everyone :)

I have a suggestion for those who are still experiencing a boost problem:
  • CPPC = Enabled
  • CPPC Preferred Cores = Disabled
The meaning of these settings is that we use CPPC, but do not use the core marking from AMD. Task Scheduler will select cores from ACPI table.
thanks.
but when there is no CPPC Preferred Cores in the bios, what can we do?
for now still not able to have a flat core usage :-(

1usmus

AMD Memory Guru
thanks.
but when there is no CPPC Preferred Cores in the bios, what can we do?
for now still not able to have a flat core usage :-(

In the near future there will be a correction from AMD (this will be a new BIOS and a new driver chipset), all the settings that I presented to you will be made by default.

In the near future there will be a correction from AMD (this will be a new BIOS and a new driver chipset), all the settings that I presented to you will be made by default.
thanks a lot!!!!!
you are a master :)

hey... just playing qieht the quickcpu tool, to manage the core parking parameters
here the line I got while running R20 single core mode...
its flat, but 2 cores used, and peak still low