• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2 more DX 11 benchmarks to try

shevanel

AMD Mecha DX11 DEMO

The Mecha demo shows the results of a new approach to rendering semi-transparent objects without pre-sorting, known as order-independent transparency (OIT). It is made possible by the ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series of graphics processors and the new features of Microsoft DirectX 11 technology. Blending is an order-dependent operation that requires sorting objects before rendering them. Atomic operations and append buffers make it possible to construct per-pixel fragment lists and sort them on the GPU. The results are a significant increase in speed and accuracy over those possible with traditional techniques.

AMD Ladybug DX11 DEMO

The Ladybug demo shows the results of a new approach to simulating lens-accurate depth-of-field effects based on real-world parameters of focal length and focus distance. This technique is made possible by the ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series of graphics processors and the Microsoft DirectX 11 and Direct Compute 11 technologies. Depth-of-field is used in feature films by cinematographers to subtly guide a viewer’s attention through a shot or to heighten the emotion of a scene.

I'm curious to see what people think about these demos using the 5800 series. Post screenies if you can.

Thanks

Last edited:

bobzilla2009

System Name Bobzilla the second
Processor AMD Phenom II 940
Motherboard Asus M3A76-CM
Cooling 3*120mm case fans
Memory 4GB 1066GHz DDR2 Kingston HyperX
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD5870 1GB
Storage Seagate 7200RPM 500GB
Display(s) samsung T220HD
Case Guardian 921
Power Supply OCZ MODXSTREAM Pro 700w (2*25A 12v rail)
Software Windows 7 Beta
Benchmark Scores 19753 3dmark06 15826 3dmark vantage 38.4Fps crysis benchmarking tool (1680x1050, 4xAA)
Is there actually a benchmark available in the programs? i ran them a while back and they didn't seem to have such an option, admittedly i didn't look too far into them though as they don't interest me as much a game engine benchmarks :) but still, i'll look into some benchies for you if i can (even if i just FRAPS it).

shevanel

Oh, you're right! they are demonstrations. i would still like to see someone post a screenie though, I'd like to see how it looks and hear opinions on these new features.

bobzilla2009

System Name Bobzilla the second
Processor AMD Phenom II 940
Motherboard Asus M3A76-CM
Cooling 3*120mm case fans
Memory 4GB 1066GHz DDR2 Kingston HyperX
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD5870 1GB
Storage Seagate 7200RPM 500GB
Display(s) samsung T220HD
Case Guardian 921
Power Supply OCZ MODXSTREAM Pro 700w (2*25A 12v rail)
Software Windows 7 Beta
Benchmark Scores 19753 3dmark06 15826 3dmark vantage 38.4Fps crysis benchmarking tool (1680x1050, 4xAA)
To be honest, the depth of field stuff which is what the demo is actually showing off, is fairly impressive. But the ladybug demo overall didn't really get me that hyped for dx11 games :) but that is mainly just because the rest of the rendering is fairly tacky, and the lack of AA doesn't help either. Also, the animation and physics aren't great but none of that is what the demo is intended to show off :) I couldn't run fraps with it either, so i have no idea of framerates, but it looks at least 35fps+ since it is smooth enough. Running a hd5870 here.

But for showing of depth of field, it is very good and does show some excellent rendering techniques in that respect.

However, on the other hand if actual in game plants looked like this instead of the current 'bunches o' sticks in the ground' method, i would be very happy :)

Attachments

• ladybug.jpg
    ladybug.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 416