• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2 TB WD Green 2.5-inch Hard Drive Goes on Sale

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
TPU quoted the source, and never claimed it was from WD.

The comment about RPM had a question mark, to indicate it was a guess and not reliable information (based on previous drives)

i have nothing at all to do with the news here, and it was really obvious as to the source of this information, and why it was incomplete. If you have trouble understanding that, its your comprehension skills that are lacking - not the writer of the articles fault.

On the contrary, my comprehension skills seem superior to the ones of whoever wrote this news. Contrary to the author of the piece I was able, in no time at all, to check what WD has to say on this. Well, naturally, TPU may choose its sources freely and may disregard the producer's information (albeit skimpy in this case) and this being a relatively free world TPU may also choose to add anecdotal stuff at its option. But ask yourself - what's gonna happen to the sites credibility then?

Putting a question mark solves nothing, only adds to the mess, already created by WD. I already gave you a link to WD spec sheet (basic as it is), where it clearly reads "invariable". What part of "invariable" do you not understand? TPU's piece still reads "variable" ATM. The fact that suggested RPM is given is also disturbing. WD never ever quoted RPM for their entire Green series - check the documents, they're available at WD site.

System Name WAZAAM!
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Pro Gaming
Cooling Kraken x62
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC
Storage Micron 9200 Max
Display(s) Samsung 49" 5120x1440 120hz
Case Corsair 600D
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Bose Companion 2 Speakers
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro
On the contrary, my comprehension skills seem superior to the ones of whoever wrote this news. Contrary to the author of the piece I was able, in no time at all, to check what WD has to say on this. Well, naturally, TPU may choose its sources freely and may disregard the producer's information (albeit skimpy in this case) and this being a relatively free world TPU may also choose to add anecdotal stuff at its option. But ask yourself - what's gonna happen to the sites credibility then?

Putting a question mark solves nothing, only adds to the mess, already created by WD. I already gave you a link to WD spec sheet (basic as it is), where it clearly reads "invariable". What part of "invariable" do you not understand? TPU's piece still reads "variable" ATM. The fact that suggested RPM is given is also disturbing. WD never ever quoted RPM for their entire Green series - check the documents, they're available at WD site.

That's an annoying number of posts about nothing.

The story is pointing out a 2TB 2.5" drive. Details are obviously sparse as the source isn't even English.

"Variable" is the right word to use because the RPMs used for drives does vary between drives even if it doesn't vary in an individual drive.

Jeez.

Back on topic, now we just need these to hit 7200 rpm. This doubles storage density for businesses as the highest capacity 2.5" drives on the market right now is 1TB.

Last edited:
Austin, TX, so I guess in all probability you are American and hence a native speaker of English. Well, I'm not, and that's why I use a dictionary if I'm not entirely sure what a word means.

And "variable" in this case does not mean what you say it means. For your definition a proper word would be "different". Just look it up in the 2 links below.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/variable?s=t
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/different?s=t

Heck, even WD says it is their spec sheet. Please, look it up! I gave you the link on a silver platter.

Lastly, what would be the point of discussing or informing that "HDDs use different spindle speeds - some work faster, some work slower". We're well past this and we're talking about WD's alleged capability to change RPM during operation. Which, clearly, they can't.

System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
I think we need to stop feeding the troll.

LGV

System Name outdated
Processor AM2 6400+ X2 black @stock
Motherboard MSI K9N SLI @ HOT (very, 65+)
Cooling air
Memory 4x2GB OCZ @stock
Video Card(s) 260 gtx
Storage Hitachi 650 / ssd corsair force 3//120
Display(s) 26''
Case Cooler Master Centurion
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX2/ Z5500 X2 :)
Power Supply Mushkin 1000W
Software Win7/64
LGV, why TPU don't need to share all info about a product?

No, you mixing up "news" with " review". Its two different things.

System Name WAZAAM!
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Pro Gaming
Cooling Kraken x62
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC
Storage Micron 9200 Max
Display(s) Samsung 49" 5120x1440 120hz
Case Corsair 600D
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Bose Companion 2 Speakers
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro
Austin, TX, so I guess in all probability you are American and hence a native speaker of English. Well, I'm not, and that's why I use a dictionary if I'm not entirely sure what a word means.

And "variable" in this case does not mean what you say it means. For your definition a proper word would be "different". Just look it up in the 2 links below.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/variable?s=t
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/different?s=t

Heck, even WD says it is their spec sheet. Please, look it up! I gave you the link on a silver platter.

Lastly, what would be the point of discussing or informing that "HDDs use different spindle speeds - some work faster, some work slower". We're well past this and we're talking about WD's alleged capability to change RPM during operation. Which, clearly, they can't.

*sigh* I should know better than to go troll feeding...

The RPMs are variable across the product line. But not variable for an individual drive.

It's all semantics and EVERY advertising/marketing team does this. It's an industry problem because marketers/advertisers don't understand technology.

Your original point is moot, however, because as LGV said, "you're [sic] mixing up 'news' with 'review'".

Does TPU need to put a banner on top that says "The views expressed in the aggregated news articles do not represent the views of TPU."?

Don't be ridiculous.

And to keep at least *some* of this post on-topic:
In my HTPC/server my Samsung 3.5" 2TB EcoGreen drives use about 6 watts under load & 4 watts at idle. I'd imagine these new WD drives would offer similar usage numbers to other 2.5" drives.

That would let me drop idle power down to <1 watt per drive and cut the load usage in half.

Anyone know of a mini-atx / itx chassis that will support 6 internal 2.5" drives (up to 15mm)? I see an upgrade in my future...

System Name Ladpot ◦◦◦ Desktop
Processor R7 5800H ◦◦◦ i7 4770K, watercooled
Motherboard HP 88D2 ◦◦◦ Asus Z87-C2 Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Mixed gases ◦◦◦ Fuzion V1, MCW60/R2, DDC1/DDCT-01s top, PA120.3, EK200, D12SL-12, liq.metal TIM
Memory 2× 8GB DDR4-3200 ◦◦◦ 2× 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 ◦◦◦ heaps of dead GPUs in the garage
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 2TB ◦◦◦ Samsung 840Pro 256@178GB + 4× WD Red 2TB in RAID10 + LaCie Blade Runner 4TB
Display(s) HP ZR30w 30" 2560×1600 (WQXGA) H2-IPS
Case Lian Li PC-A16B
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S / Contour RollerMouse Red+
Keyboard Logitech Elite Keyboard from 2006 / Contour Balance Keyboard / Logitech diNovo Edge
Software W11 x64 ◦◦◦ W10 x64
Benchmark Scores It does boot up? I think.
I wonder if the 1.5TB version is a four platter design short-stroked or "just" three platters. Official imagery gives no clues as the pics are identical for both versions and it's showing four platters.

And is just me or why I don't see anything "new" in this drive? Same platter density (500GB/disc) as was around a year ago. SATA 3Gbps? 8MB cache?

Last edited: