• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

2 weird problems after hdd ghost

xman2007

Processor E4300@ 3.0ghz
Motherboard Asus P5B
Cooling Arctic freezer
Memory 2gb supertalent ddrII 1000 5.5.5.15
Video Card(s) Inno 3d 8800gts 320mb
Storage Seagate 320gb
Display(s) 19" widescreen tft 5ms
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) X-fi Xtreme Audio
Power Supply Hiper 430w 30a dual rails
Software Vista Ultimate
ok i downloaded maxblast 4 to ghost my c: to my d: so i could boot off d: (my sata drive).
once done i restarted the pc and set my d: to boot first as it did. all looked well and windows started up with no problems and drive letters had changed like i wanted them,

so me like an idiot formatted my old boot drive (what the hey its done what i wanted it to right? wrong) now i cant run msconfig, ive tried running a command prompt and from the folder c:\windows\system32\dllcache (or wherever it was) and nothing happens.

also got a weird popup box saying "SL70.tmp has encountered an error and needs to close" (i think this is an update for msvm)

any ideas on how i can diagnose the problem, i really dont want to end up formatting as ive just done 1 a few days ago (and the mrs would kill me if i got rid oher precious sims 2 :mad: )

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 1800x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling CH6 EK MonoBlock
Memory TridentZ 16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) GTX 1080Ti EK Full Cover Block
Storage Samsung 960 Pro
Display(s) LG 34UC88 Curved Ultrawide
Case EVGA DG86
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
there is a command you can use in the run box to check windows sytem files and make sure they havent been altered i believe it is sfc /scannow

xman2007

Processor E4300@ 3.0ghz
Motherboard Asus P5B
Cooling Arctic freezer
Memory 2gb supertalent ddrII 1000 5.5.5.15
Video Card(s) Inno 3d 8800gts 320mb
Storage Seagate 320gb
Display(s) 19" widescreen tft 5ms
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) X-fi Xtreme Audio
Power Supply Hiper 430w 30a dual rails
Software Vista Ultimate
cheers for the quick reply athlonx2 tried that and it came up with nothing, i might just do an installation over the top although i dont like to do this as it isnt great, its funny ive been using xp for 3 maybe 4 years and i know a hell of a lot of things but ill bet there are a hell of a lot more things i dont know just like that command ive never used that, i wondoer why microsoft make it so hard for people just to troubleshoot and diagnose a problem as the troubleshooting section in help and support is absolutely useless imo. i would consider myself a pretty experienced user so i feel bad for all average home users who have to diagnose a simple problem.