• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2001 - A Case Modyssey

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
Thanks to all of you! :) :cool:

Wow cool! I can imagine that's a pretty precise job building a djembi drum :eek:
And then to get a good sound of it when it's done must be a good reward!

We used clay that drys in the air, no need to bake, just keep it wet when you are working on it and it will stay flexible. Next time I just need to put it in a room that is a little bit more moist. It dried a little too fast so it showed some cracks, but I managed to fix those pretty well :)

Mostly we chose that because we don't have a kiln to bake the clay, and probably the wire would melt too!

a ha! i figured you were using non firing clay, just had to enquire tho incase , the wire armiture is a good idea to maintain rigidity, you couldnt do that with normal kiln clay though, it would cause the figurine to crack due to the metal having different thermal characteristics and air pockets/expansion .Yeh the djembi is mad, its about half an inch thick , couple of feet tall, quite wide at the top,just like a wooden one cept clay, i made my own skin and tied it off with cord and wooden blocks to tighten.

Bloody good one, there is no revelation on this earth higher than art and music i believe.
Hope you update this post soon with more pics.;)

ASPHIAX

you show a level of dedication to detail seldom found

:respect: Thank you !
I know how the mundain stuff tends to creep up!
Between work, wife and 16 month old daughter its sometimes hard to find any time to get anything done. Luckily I have a wife who (besides from thinking I am nuts) is starting to appreciate the stuff I am building - Building the led Atlantis lamp kinda helped there aswell, lol. So she takes care of my chores (?) when I really need to work on the builds. Bless her!

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
very nice :eek:

ASPHIAX

Hi All,

Here's another build update!

But First I can announce a couple of sponsors !

Asus is going to help us with a Corsshair IV Formula motherboard

EKWB is gonna help us with the Full watercooling setup including motherboard, CPU, Ram and GTX580's

My favorite webshop for watercooling supplies Highflow is gonnan pitch in also ! Thanks Freddy !

Lamptron is going to help us by supplying the powerfull touch fan controller needed to control the fans!

The best group on facebook for your SCIFI Obsessive Creation Disorder. We have over 50 Star Wars, Star Trek, BSG, Alien and other SCIFI Mods. Join us and share your SCIFI creations !!!

Ok Now to the build !!!

The Enermax fans have arrived ! 140mm of Red eyecandy !

Fitted the whole rad and fans in the tight space designed for it. It fits upto the mm!

I need to extend the Fan cables to the fan controller, but I was expecting that !

I am looking for a company that can laser me a sweet red plexi 560 fangrill with a design I made.

Another major obstacle, I need to get the exact position of the fans drawn out correctly. This proved to be a time consuming exersize.

Here are the chambers for the PSU (right) and the intake Fans (left)

With the fan holes very roughly cut out, I decided to do a quick testfitting to see how they would look within the whole design.

The 2 x GTX 580's have not been fitted with the EKWB blocks , hoping they will arrive soon !!!

I used a temp motherboard for the fitting and a stack of books to resemble the reservoir !

The real motherboard will be sent ASAP by ASUS

Get set, ready .... GO !!! Here's to a couple of hours filing !

Nom, Nom .... Enermax !!!

A quick test if they all worked before I close up the Rad compartment !

And here is the final status of today ! I need to put in more M4 screws to tighten it up but that's for next time, now to grab a couple of beers !

Oh yeah, I made this picture to show you how the plexiglas window will be placed. With the hood off, it will deliver a perfect look into the case !

Until next time !

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Insane build, absolutely fantastic, I am just gutted I have to wait for the next update and set of pics, dammit, work faster!!! :nutkick::roll:

ASPHIAX

*singing christmas carol*
Its the season to be mod-ding , la..lala..lala .... .... lala....la.....la

Got some vacation coming my way so hope to proceed more quickly !

Nixjuh

So here’s a little teaser.

Today the mailman arrived at my door and brought me a package. After I was done with it, it looked like this:

More about this in our next update!

ASPHIAX

The 2001 – A Case Modyssey is made possible with the help from the following sponsors !

EKWB is gonna help us with the Full watercooling setup including motherboard, CPU, Ram and GTX580's

My favorite webshop for watercooling supplies Highflow is gonnan pitch in also ! Thanks Freddy !

Lamptron is going to help us by supplying the powerfull touch fan controller needed to control the fans!

The best group on facebook for your SCIFI Obsessive Creation Disorder. We have over 50 Star Wars, Star Trek, BSG, Alien and other SCIFI Mods. Join us and share your SCIFI creations !!!

Hi all,

First of all a very merry xmas and a happy new year to you and yours!

So after gaining conscience again after the first of a set of 3 billion calory dinners, I found some time to post this work!

The fitting between the rad and the fancover is designed to be very tight fit!

I have made the window frame. Did some mayor thinking to make sure the window wont stick out to much an this is what is has become. I made an internal window support onto wihich the plexi will rest. Then there will be a 2 mm cover placed over it. By doing so I had to make sure the sides would be even and had to place thin strips of alu.

For a test fitting i used alu to show the cover I have designed. this will be made of black plexi to go with the black powdercoated alu.

Dont know if i did myself a favor here, the motherboard “space” is designed to fit upton the mm. Just hoping the Crosshair has the exact same size as my test board. (i do have 10 mm of cleareance by moving it to the left)

For a test with the plexi HAL memory modules I used some 10mm clear I had laying round.

It kinda looks ok, but it needs refinement. I think I will use 6 or 8 mm modules and they will be placed closer together.

Ok That was it for this update, untill soon !

ASPHIAX

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
as though the name wasn't good enough, this is a truly epic build. I LOVE IT! the thought that went into every bit is crazy detailed. great job guys!!!

ASPHIAX

Thanks man ! We love detailed !
Hope to have something new soon, rebuilding my workshop atm and Nix is abroad for the holidays!

ASPHIAX

The 2001 – A Case Modyssey is made possible with the help from the following sponsors !

Hi all,

Here is a long overdue update. Finally got a big part of the hardware in house! Xmas vacation, Logistical issues, Chinese new year it all added up to this untypical long pauze for the next update!

Lamptron has supported the Modyssey by delivering us a Touch Fan controller and a noise reduction set!

30 watts per channel ! Thats powerfull !!

Next is the major contribution from EKWB! Gregor thanks for the help and the serious kickass products. That's one cool monkey now !

From left to right we have the EK-Supreme HF CPU waterblock, the EK-RAM Dominator X4 and the EK-D5 X-TOP Rev 2

EK-FC 580 GTX + waterblocks

The Monket is surrounded by GPU Power fitted with EK Backplates

Asus helped us with a crosshair IV Formula motherboard. Guys thanks!

So I made a couple of plexi standoffs and mounted the board and the 580's. Also placed the CPU and RAM waterblocks where they will go.

That was it for this afternoon, I will be posting the design we worked out for the interior vinyl sticker that will go over the RED UV Reactive plexi I have ordered from Highflow. This and the ram, coolant, hose and a bunch of other stuff will arrive later this week, so expect updates regularly again!

ASPHIAX

System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X UD3
Cooling Thermaltake Frio Silent 14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD
Display(s) QNIX 27 Inch 1440p
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Cooler Master V750
Software Win 10 64-bit
Got some cool new stuff there. Thanks for the pics.

FACEoSPADES

just joined the forums and gotta say that is gonna be amazing. I am in the process of building my first rig and i just bought that same motherboard. Looks amazing, good job

ASPHIAX

Here is the Interior Vinyl Design.

Just like the titel states we will be using black vinyl stickers over red UV reactive plexiglass to cover all but the most attractive parts of the hardware.

The plexi modules will be sticking out of the plexiglass like if they were disconnected but still illuminated.

The picture of Kubrick and Clark on the set of 2001 will be engraved into the clear plexiglass reservoir which will be filled with red UV coolant.

Here is the design with the HAL 9000 interface installed. The HAL 9000 interface will be made of 10mm thick plexiglass covering the GPU’s. They are watercooled so there will not be too much heat generated there and with the 140mm fan blowing alomost directly into the ventilation shafts at the connector side of the GPU’s we will have some airflow there.

Here we have it integrated into a picture of the case. There are several issues with this picture offcourse. The plexi cover plates will come too about half of the depth of the case.

In case your wondering, the red round elements in the vinyl are bitspower fillports adapted for passthrough. This is where the tubing will go through the plexi and alu.

The black square next to the reservoir with the picture is the EKWB top for the Laing 655 pump

Ok and now we need your help! In the yellow circle there is a text that should describe what the underlying plexi modules do.

We couldnt think of a good text to put there. We had : Led Panel Illuminator, Lifesupport enabler, Coffeemaker so you see we’re running a bit low on idea’s there.

Let me know what you think should be there and we might just put it there !

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
A work of art.

ASPHIAX

Thanks man !
With the red uv plexi behind it I think it will look sweet!

System Name Angel'S RGB Glow
Processor Intel I5 3570K
Motherboard ASRock Extreme 4
Cooling ASUS Triton II
Memory 16 GB Gskill
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX660 Ti
Storage WD 1TB WD 2TB
Display(s) Samsung 32 HDTV
Case Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS
Power Supply Silencer 850W
Mouse Razer Diamondback RGB
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse II
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64
have you decided what to make "hal's eye" of ? To me it always looked like the dome of a security camera with a big red led in the center. most of those domes come in clear to black tint and some smoke colored. just a thought i had for u. be neat to see you build it with a small webcam in it so you can see what hal sees on your desktop LOL

System Name Angel'S RGB Glow
Processor Intel I5 3570K
Motherboard ASRock Extreme 4
Cooling ASUS Triton II
Memory 16 GB Gskill
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX660 Ti
Storage WD 1TB WD 2TB
Display(s) Samsung 32 HDTV
Case Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS
Power Supply Silencer 850W
Mouse Razer Diamondback RGB
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse II
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64
btw as per the yellow circled area maybe I/O controller interface, backup memory, GPU memory, ASPHIAX MEM BANK

ASPHIAX

have you decided what to make "hal's eye" of ? To me it always looked like the dome of a security camera with a big red led in the center. most of those domes come in clear to black tint and some smoke colored. just a thought i had for u. be neat to see you build it with a small webcam in it so you can see what hal sees on your desktop LOL
Yeah, we have several broken camera lenzes to work with, but the depth is gonna be an issue due to the sli connector behind it. A camera dome is also a good idea, we'll take that along in the brianstorm sessions. We also had the idea of the red led!

btw as per the yellow circled area maybe I/O controller interface, backup memory, GPU memory, ASPHIAX MEM BANK
Hahaha, It would be ASPHIAX / Nixjuh MEM BANK then but I like your thinking !

Processor AMD Phenom II 555BE unlocked X4 @3.8GHz
Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb + open case in cold room = low temps lol
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Storage 64GB SSD Super Talent
Display(s) 22" Chimei, 17" Philips
Case POS!
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W
OMG this is coooooooooool

You should have button on top that makes it talk like HAL. Or better, a motion sensor so anyone comes too close gets a "Just what do you think you're doing, Dave? " And then, when you press the power button to turn it off, "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that. " and then, "I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen. "

I could go on, rofl freaky computers

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
very nice!

BSG? Stargate? :eek:

ASPHIAX

OMG this is coooooooooool

You should have button on top that makes it talk like HAL. Or better, a motion sensor so anyone comes too close gets a "Just what do you think you're doing, Dave? " And then, when you press the power button to turn it off, "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that. " and then, "I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen. "

I could go on, rofl freaky computers

LOL, We are looking into this!

very nice!

BSG? Stargate? :eek:
Thanks!
What do you mean BSG and Stargate?
I have a BSG project standing in teh queue.
Its called the Cylon Resurrection NAS and I actually would be building her instead of the Modyssey if the prices of the HDD's didnt explode due to the flooded factory.