1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2013 PC upgrades

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Killer_Rubber_Ducky, Sep 7, 2013.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    LAN parties? Aren't you almost 30?

Easy Rhino says thanks.
  2. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    My department at school is hosting one in November to advertise for our major. We are trying to get students interested in computers as a field choice.

3. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    That's a question for cadaveca:D

Proof?
    I looked at the weight given at Newegg, and I realize that they may be shipping weight listed, but it still gives a general idea. The 600T is listed at 28 lbs. The Lanboy air is listed at 20 lbs. The Bitfenix Prodigy is listed at 15.43 lbs on Amazon. The Antec GX GX 700, for instance, is only 17.2 lbs. I have a SilverStone Precision series PS05 that is very light at 13.6 lbs, but I have to be careful how I lift it or I will bend it.:eek:

The issue here is not how awesome the 600T is, or how desirable it is to use, it is KRD's back and his need to reduce strain put on it. The 600T is a wide case at 10.4 inches wide while that GX 700 that I referred to is only 7.9 inches wide. The wider a case is the more it will move the weight away from his body as he carries it and the more strain it will put on his back. My wife, a PT, recommended putting it on wheels, somehow.

KRD:suggestions:
    *Changing cases is the obvious way to lose 10+ lbs. I have not used that GX 700 case, but it will accommodate the H100. Newegg also has the NZXT Source 210 (14.3 lbs)for $30 right now. Changing out the case will most likely get you under 40 lbs. (I just checked my 2600K/ATX/2x560Ti/H80/P280 system and it weights 41.4 lbs)
    *Going from 3 to 1 HDD will save about 2 lbs and reduce your heat load.
    *Change out the H100 for something like the TPC-612 (-1.6 lbs) or TPC-812 (-1.1 lbs) (the weight of the H100 was HARD to find-still not 100% sure of the 3.31 lbs figure(Amazon))
    *I'm not investigating this, but I would think that a 500 watt PSU would be lighter than the 750 that you have.

crazyeyesreaper has a 3770k/Biostar TZ77XE4 (cadaveca loved it, especially the onboard audio) for sale...(a way for you to test one of the best audio's without having to give up the option of your dedicated card)

Killer_Rubber_Ducky says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    H100i is not that heavy, I reckon its about the weight of a big air cooler.

5. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    The xeon is a good proc for budget i7 ivy.bridge. Also i just had back surgery on my spinal cord (syrinx and tethered cord) so i ferl you on heavy pcs, might be a year till i can carry my cosmos! Check out the coolermsster n200, heard good things.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. da20valve

Thanks Received:
    I will make it really simple for you then, he is not getting a case, mainboard and cpu for under $500, the only case he can get is something like the Haf XB, NOTHING else will be big enough for all his stuff or will be too heavy, BTW Corsair 600T fully loaded is less then 50lb, so I don't see how it weights 28lbs empty, that's just the shipping weight for pricing and size, if you want I will weigh one at work, I know how much they weigh though we use them all the time and when we ship them (built) we use a lime label (it covers up to 22kgs)

7. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    unfortunately, the HAF XB wont do since I need more than 2 platter cages.

I can do without the Tuner and Sound Card as long as the onboard sound is kickin.

8. da20valve

Thanks Received:
    Thermaltake V3 are really light, but you will go over your 500 with the case, mainboard and CPU.
    You H100 might be a tight fit though, although it should be close.

9. BigBoi

BigBoi

Thanks Received:
    any reason in particular that you don't like about the suggestion i made?

10. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    no, it is still on the table. I have built using that case and it is good.

11. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Just throwing this out one more time:
    http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/mini-tower/n200.html
    Dimensions (W x H x D) 202 x 378 x 445 mm / 7.9 x 14.9 x 17.5 inch
    [size=+4]Net Weight 9.5 lbs
    [/size]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    COOLER MASTER NSE-200-KKN2 (N200) Support 240mm Ra...
    Regular price $49.99
    $39.99 after $10.00 rebate card
    - $10 off w/ promo code EMCXLWT67, ends 9/19
    =$29.99

Also, going in for my followup today for my back surgery 3 weeks ago, no regrets going that route if you should go that route as well, it worked for me. I had a different problem though, mine was spinalcord not the disks or column. My exgirlfriend had a l5-s1 herniation, she had the laminectomy and it repaired nicely, as far as I know she's still a successful surgery. L5-S1 is a common herniation point from everyone I know. Personally, my L5-S1 has an annular tear and minor central protrusion but its not symptomatic. Think I got it from a 450+ raw deadlift attempt many years back (@165lb)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I am not sure if the H100i will fit in the front. If it does it will be perfect.

13. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that case was one of the first ones I was looking at. It is also the one I plan to use to build my friend's first rig from. Either that or I will sell him my 600T.

My back is asymptomatic. So the Neurosurgeon said since I'm 27 it would be too early to do surgery since my back would only get worse strength wise as I age. Now, if I start having serious issues, they will operate. I just have to follow this PT plan and shed about 40 lbs. Im 6'5" and weigh ~255lbs. ^_^

14. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    If its asymptomatic its really not a big deal bro. Just start doing planks and lose some weight, get some stronger posterior chain muscles (glutes, hamstrings, obliques)

L5-S1 herniations are very common and an injection of cortisone might be all you need to get back on your feet for mild cases. If you start getting really bad sciatica you should consider the surgery but otherwise just do the PT and adhere to it. Other thing it could be sacroilliac joint alignment.

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. da20valve

Thanks Received:
    See if he wants yours and get the Coolermaster, I am kind of blown away at that case. You will need some exhaust fans on the roof though and get the one without the Window, the one with has no option for a side fan.

16. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Ifn you sell him that 600, when you build him a case full'a parts you make sure he carries it off the work bench! :toast: Point of build is point of sale!

Before I've bought my last few cases, I've watched youtube videos on onboxing and also on building rigs in the various cases I am interested in. I'd recommend doing this research. Theres a few great reviewers like linus tech tips and others who do great case video reviews. Also I like the XB but it felt cheap to me (the plastic siding on the front) once I got to microcenter, was solid otherwise and I loved the layout. Haven't personally held a N200 yet but from the videos I saw it looked like a great choice, I picked the elite 120 instead because its form factor seemed ameanable to a wood skin. In stock form, my Elite 120 Advanced wasn't half bad if you modified the front to have a blow in fan if you want a really small shuttle sized case (now with wood panels). I was impressed with its build quality to price ratio. I would assume the N200 is equivalent but can't guarantee it. Coolermaster makes good stuff.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    So, I just got rid of one of my Mechanical HDDs so I am considering the HAF XB and the 350D. I like both of them. The big thing that the HAF XB has going for it is the ease of working on it. Linus Tech Tips gave both cases excellent reviews. The 17" width is fine with me so the size width wise is no problem.

18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ducky did you ever look into that half track I was telling you about?

19. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    yes. Lowes wanted $50+ for it. Plus, I would still have to pick the thing up to move it from one location to another. Yes, I can roll it around. But when I have to put it into the truck bed, I have to lift the sucker and adding the Track weight, would put it closer to 50lbs.