• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2080 ti SLI clock synchronisation - Can it be disabled?

UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
Processor I9 9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Gagabyte z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Nexxxos Nova 1080 + 360 rad
Memory 32Gb Crucial Balliastix RGB 4.4GHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 (Bios and Shunt Modded) 2.17GHz @ 38C
Storage NVME / SSD RAID arrays
Display(s) 38" LG 38GN950-B, 27" BENQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440p, Samsung 27" 3D 1440p
Case Thermaltake Core series
Power Supply 1.6Kw Silverstone
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard Corsair Viper Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro
Greetings all,

I have recently switched over to the green side and have two Aorus 2080 ti waterforce cards running in my system.

What im experiencing is that one card is an Aorus full waterblock with a custom loop and manages a higher core clock that the second card which is an Aorus AIO.

During gaming/benching etc the higher clocking card is restricted to the meagre overclock of the second card: its core clock speed is being synchronised to that of the slowest card.
Obviously this is reducing overall performance.

Is there any way to disable this limitation and have my fastest card run at full speed while keeping the second card at a more tame and stable core clock? This just feels such a waste as why bother having one card with a great overclock when it wont ever be able to run at it when being limited to the smaller overclock on the second card.

Forgive me if this is something obvious but ive never had to deal with overclocking / SLI on Nvidia cards. AMD overclocking was always so much easier: set voltage, set clock. Profit.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
No.

What you could do, though I doubt it matters much since you're on water, is swap the cards around. Top card tends to run hotter because it is sandwitched between two other hot components. Put the cooler card up there and maybe you can squeeze out some more boost bins.

As for the overclocking being easier/more difficult on Nvidia... its not. But if you come to NV with an AMD mindset you're probably fighting for more control over things, don't do that. Its not going to happen and if it does, you won't be winning meaningful performance. GPU Boost is just very well done out of the box, a bit similar to AMD's XFR on Ryzen.

As for the 'waste'... if its 1-3 FPS, I think that is being optimistic. Don't worry about it. As an SLI user you have greater worries, such as falling back to single card more often than not...

UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
Processor I9 9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Gagabyte z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Nexxxos Nova 1080 + 360 rad
Memory 32Gb Crucial Balliastix RGB 4.4GHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 (Bios and Shunt Modded) 2.17GHz @ 38C
Storage NVME / SSD RAID arrays
Display(s) 38" LG 38GN950-B, 27" BENQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440p, Samsung 27" 3D 1440p
Case Thermaltake Core series
Power Supply 1.6Kw Silverstone
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard Corsair Viper Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro
No.

What you could do, though I doubt it matters much since you're on water, is swap the cards around. Top card tends to run hotter because it is sandwitched between two other hot components. Put the cooler card up there and maybe you can squeeze out some more boost bins.

As for the overclocking being easier/more difficult on Nvidia... its not. But if you come to NV with an AMD mindset you're probably fighting for more control over things, don't do that. Its not going to happen and if it does, you won't be winning meaningful performance. GPU Boost is just very well done out of the box, a bit similar to AMD's XFR on Ryzen.

As for the 'waste'... if its 1-3 FPS, I think that is being optimistic. Don't worry about it. As an SLI user you have greater worries, such as falling back to single card more often than not...

Probably a fair point. I have been used to far more specific control. I think ill just find an overclock that sits happy and leave it at that.

As for temperatures the custom loop sits at 45c max and the AIO hits 56C max. Got some maglev fans coming soon so may be able to get it down a touch more.

At least I can stop hunting for a setting or option that was never there to start with ha!

Cheers!

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Yeah then you might lose 13-26mhz on the AIO variant because GPU boost drops boost bins in 13mhz steps every 5C you rise in temp. Totally not worth fussing over ;) You can counteract it by pushing the core clock a bit higher. The 'hot' card will STILL drop those bins though.

Enjoy that beastly setup!

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Obviously this is reducing overall performance.
While true, it isnt much. A percent or two at most?

I mean...how would you notice? I'm assuming you dont game across two monitors, and 2080ti sli is massive overkill for the res and refresh rate. :)

Just enjoy the setup. Dont get lost in this minutia.