• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2080TI 70% Power Utilization, Perf Cap Reason PWR Green??

System Name Orange fun
Processor i7-5960X 4.4GHz
Motherboard Asus Rampage V E10
Cooling Liquid Loop | 7x120 eq. | D5 pump | Series with Rads in between | Graphite Pad CPU Thermal Paste GPU
Memory 2800 XSPC DDR4 64GB 8x8gb runs at 2400
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080TI Ventus - Non-OC
Storage M.2 INTEL 700 1TB + M.2 INTEL 600 2TB + 3x1.6TB Raid0 SATA SSDs
Display(s) 2X 4K SAMSUNG 28" + 34" HP S340C
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) SPDIF DAC
Power Supply 1000W Gold EVGA
Mouse Ergo + Gaming Logitech
Keyboard QWERKYWRITER S
Software WINDOWS 10
Benchmark Scores 12300-12650 superposition 4k optimized
I really don't get why this is happening? Unless it's running at a high efficiency?

So in VR gaming, I'm getting gpu loads of 60-85% sometimes hitting high 90s in some scenes
Temps are at mid to high 60s for GPU. Cpu is 50s when not too overvolted 60s when I max out the overclock
Power consumption that rarely hits 200W usually sits at 185ish
Power consumption % of mid 70s

I ramped up my pump to level 5 from level 3 this morning.
When I run the maxed out superposition VR benchmark I get 99% utilization and still 70% Power consumption
With a perf cap reason of PWR and a green solid line in there

So what am I missing here? Why isn't it using more power/more gpu utilization? Or is it just the settings I have in VR for supersampling etc. that prevent it from using more except in certain scenes?
I'd like to use more supersampling/graphics levels but I get some bad frame rates occasionally in some games which ruin the experience.
It's on a vive pro wireless

I attached a screenshot of Superposition Maxed out in VR with gravity vortex maxed.

Follow UP:

IDK if it's my cpu that's bottlenecking the whole thing. Especially because I'm running vive wireless, but the issue is about the same when wired.

I absolutely despise the newer intel CPUs (non-X) because of the very low PCIE lanes. I just don't know if it's worth it to switch over and I'm definitely not getting the overpriced newer X-Series. AMD is also just not my thing and has issues with vive wireless.
I have a usb pcie, vive wireless, M.2 PCIE, and my GPU. so idk how the 16 lanes on a 9900K would make sense for me.
Please tell me if I'm missing something here. I mean running the oculus rift S with USB ports is just a headache without the extra lanes.

2nd Follow Up:

Temps are alright but i'd like to stay below 60, would it be worth it to switch to liquid metal for GPU? How about CPU? Or am I not really gaining anything by doing so? I have the liquid metal sitting in my drawer haven't decided to go for it yet.

Also here's an image of my loop for any thoughts and also for some attention since I haven't posted it anywhere yet.
IMG_3608.jpg
IMG_3609.jpg
IMG_3610.jpg

Annoying AF is Asus mobo always turning on LEDs to RED when coming back from sleep and Aura becomes unresponsive. I like to keep it off with cathodes lighting it. Still working on getting true black light LEDs 365nm for the GPU instead of the strip I recently installed. Have it off for now.

Attachments

• Superposition Maxed out VR.PNG
    Superposition Maxed out VR.PNG
    36.2 KB · Views: 405
System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
70c seems pretty high to me for an open loop... My 2080 ti strix tops out around 70c on air mostly in the 68c range. I would be willing to bet you're running into a cpu bottleneck. My previous gpu a Titan Xp was being bottle necked by a 5820k at 4.6ghz in some games.

I don't much care for VR games so I can't really comment on how Haswell E performs on them.

Very nice system btw

Processor Ryzen 7 5800x @ 4,85Ghz
Motherboard AORUS MASTER X570
Cooling Costume External Water Loop 1080 Rad
Memory Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3600 16GB @3800 mhz cl16
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Water
Storage Raid0 4 x Sasmsung 850 EVo, 980 1TB M.2
Display(s) ASUS Swift
Case Open test bench
Power Supply Be quiet! 850 P10
Mouse G703
Keyboard Old USB Dell Keyboard x2
VR HMD Rift S
Software Windows 11
So if i see that right you have a 240mm and a 360 rad? and you are getting these temps....
Cpu seems fine.
Gpu on the other hand ...outch...
Lets got step by step. Did you make sure to have the right flow direction? Is your pump up to the task? Most of the time i see people mount the full cover block wrong, make sure you used the right screws like in the manual, re mount your cooler on your card, open all panels allwo maximum airflow for your rads see if that changes something.
you should be seeing around 35-45c on a full cover block maybe hitting the 50s.
Your card has a 250w power limit, well that would explain the power limit you are seeing. Most 2080ti have 300watt limit.
Also GPU Load % is not equal to power target. You can have a game use 100% gpu utilization and still be in the power budget and you can have a game using less then 100% and be already in the power limit.
And yes your cpu is Bottlenecking you but maybe by like 10%.
Maybe 3-5c° with Liquid metal , i stooped using to much of a hassle each time applying it get a good thermal paste.

Last edited:
System Name Matter's / Helios 300 Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 2700 / i7 7700HQ
Motherboard B450 Tomahawk / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Cooling Arctic Freezer eSports Duo
Memory Patriot Viper ddr4 32gb / 32gb gskill ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC / GTX 1060 6gb
Storage Patriot Viper nvme M2, crucial MX300 275gb, Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / 15.6 1080p HD
Case Antec 300 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Audio Device(s) On Board - Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Cans
Power Supply Antec 850watt high current pro
Mouse Steel series Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Home
Just so we are clear here on your set up
Reservoir/pump to CPU to Rad to GPU to 2nd Rad to Reservoir/pump? And that is the direction it is flowing as well correct?
Have you tried MS Afterburner and turned up the power/thermal limits?

System Name Orange fun
Processor i7-5960X 4.4GHz
Motherboard Asus Rampage V E10
Cooling Liquid Loop | 7x120 eq. | D5 pump | Series with Rads in between | Graphite Pad CPU Thermal Paste GPU
Memory 2800 XSPC DDR4 64GB 8x8gb runs at 2400
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080TI Ventus - Non-OC
Storage M.2 INTEL 700 1TB + M.2 INTEL 600 2TB + 3x1.6TB Raid0 SATA SSDs
Display(s) 2X 4K SAMSUNG 28" + 34" HP S340C
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) SPDIF DAC
Power Supply 1000W Gold EVGA
Mouse Ergo + Gaming Logitech
Keyboard QWERKYWRITER S
Software WINDOWS 10
Benchmark Scores 12300-12650 superposition 4k optimized
So if i see that right you have a 240mm and a 360 rad? and you are getting these temps....
Cpu seems fine.
Gpu on the other hand ...outch...
Lets got step by step. Did you make sure to have the right flow direction? Is your pump up to the task? Most of the time i see people mount the full cover block wrong, make sure you used the right screws like in the manual, re mount your cooler on your card, open all panels allwo maximum airflow for your rads see if that changes something.
you should be seeing around 35-45c on a full cover block maybe hitting the 50s.
Your card has a 250w power limit, well that would explain the power limit you are seeing. Most 2080ti have 300watt limit.
Also GPU Load % is not equal to power target. You can have a game use 100% gpu utilization and still be in the power budget and you can have a game using less then 100% and be already in the power limit.
And yes your cpu is Bottlenecking you but maybe by like 10%.
Maybe 3-5c° with Liquid metal , i stooped using to much of a hassle each time applying it get a good thermal paste.

Maybe i need to re-apply paste and everything with the gpu.
Would it be a good idea to use a fat thermal pad? Like 6mm i think is the one i have laying around.
I'm using original pads from ekwb which are honestly super thin imo. This is the best block i was able to find at the time.

Problem is I can't figure out how to get memory temp vs gpu temp.

Loop temp is like 35c to 38 under full load so not sure what to expect of the gpu temp. I keep room at 76 to 78c during summer. Any colder I get tension in my shoulders. Been considering running a tube to the ac and back.

I'm running 360 gts slim nemesis and 240 double nemesis gtx.

I think the flow is enough because I can only see a 3C difference from inlet and outlet at gpu.

Both rads are low rpm optimized silent flow from nemesis and i run the 15mm fans on a curve each linked to some different temp sensors in loop and system. Using corsair commander. I've optimized fans as best I can, and having a push pull or my vortex fans didn't make a notable difference

It's a d5 pump the original from Thermaltake with silent kit. Doubt there's a better pump? I got the silent kit big reservoir and small reservoir and swapped them. I am a chemical engineer so i know the head in that res is enough, 2 inches lower level and it starts cavitating at level 5.

It is overclocked on an auto curve and 112% power limit. Inside afterburner.

Flow direction is correct.

Just so we are clear here on your set up
Reservoir/pump to CPU to Rad to GPU to 2nd Rad to Reservoir/pump? And that is the direction it is flowing as well correct?
Have you tried MS Afterburner and turned up the power/thermal limits?

Yes.
And yes see above reply.