• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strange ping spikes, need help

Wasabi202

So I have a new router (Sagemcom) that is like 20cm away from me and I'm connected to it with an ethernet cable.

When I play games, 98% of the times there is no problem, I have a fix 30 ping, everything is fine. However, when I browse the internet, sometimes websites load really slow or do not respond at all. I use google chrome and I already tried disabling every plugin I have, they don't cause the problem.

So I went to console and started to ping my own router, these are the results: http://i.imgur.com/kDzHm3N.png?1

As you can see it's always 1, but sometimes it jumps up to 500 or even 1500, then it goes back to 1 again. As I said it does not really affect games, but it does affect loading websites and I have no idea what could be causing this.

Any help?

Processor 7900
Motherboard Rampage Apex
Cooling H115i
Memory 64GB TridentZ 3200 14-14-14-34-1T
Video Card(s) Fury X
Case Corsair 740
Audio Device(s) 8ch LPCM via HDMI to Yamaha Z7 Receiver
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse G903
Keyboard G810
Software 8.1 x64
Thats weird.

Can you ping from another computer on the network and see if you get the same results? That would rule out something on your computer instead of the router. Another test would be to disconnect the router from the internet and reboot it and see if it still pings randomly high.

Maybe try switching out cables and using a different port on the switch. Also see if there is updated firmware for your router.

Wasabi202

Thats weird.

Can you ping from another computer on the network and see if you get the same results? That would rule out something on your computer instead of the router. Another test would be to disconnect the router from the internet and reboot it and see if it still pings randomly high.

Maybe try switching out cables and using a different port on the switch. Also see if there is updated firmware for your router.
There are two computers connected to this router, mine with cable the other with wifi. I tried pinging it from the other computer as well and the results were the same. Disconnecting and reconnecting to the router or restarting the router did not help.
Oh yes, the firmware. I have no idea how to update it, I mean I can't really find it after I logged in into my router and when I try to search it on the internet all the pictures look different than mine and I don't have the buttons or pages they say.

Parlsson

Factory reset..
And if u still have isseues try the same test with just 1 unit on at the time and look if u have the same issue.
Many routers have issue with to many active threads so u can always use netstat -a in CMD too look at how many established connections u got and so on
But u probebly got a faulty router

Wasabi202

Factory reset..
And if u still have isseues try the same test with just 1 unit on at the time and look if u have the same issue.
Many routers have issue with to many active threads so u can always use netstat -a in CMD too look at how many established connections u got and so on
But u probebly got a faulty router
Well it's a new router and I haven't really changed anything in it so not sure if factory reset would do anything.
I used the command you said and it listed a LOT of things.

Parlsson

Well it's a new router and I haven't really changed anything in it so not sure if factory reset would do anything.
I used the command you said and it listed a LOT of things.
A factory reset the hardwear too , but if the issues keep up check over how it's hooked up if u are using a extension cord and so on power issues on a router can create issues like ping spikes and so on, I work at isp so I have reseted a couple of 1000 routers :|

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
Rule out the router by connect the ISP cable straight to your computer and test.
Update the firmware.
Set QoS to make sure that none of the peers consume all the bandwidth.

Last edited:

Parlsson

By the way whats the spec on on the router and what kind of connection you got dsl, lan, cabel modem?
Do the router keep a log of what it does ? If it does check if u get any messages from the firewall and so on ...
But the safest way too check is too skip the router check if it works normal then