• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX Radeon R7 240 4gb ddr3 card - psu input missing?

Jordan Levers

So I just purchased this gpu (new) in order to replace a failing ATI Radeon 1gb gpu, in my admittedly ancient (2011) Dell XPS 8300. I'm planning on keeping the unit a while longer because I've encountered no other performance issues until the old gpu died.
As I'm looking at the new card--an XFX Radeon R7 240 4gb--and fitting it into PCI slot, I realize, there's no actual place to plug a 6 or 8 pin into it, in order to power it up. I realize it is a low profile gpu and some of them may get their power directly from the PCI slot--this gpu, however, says it requires 400w psu so I know it's got to have a way to plug directly to the psu via a 6 pin or other connection. As a side note, my power supply is a 460w which is what comes with the XPS8300 so the power capabilities of the psu shouldn't be the issue.

I've attempted to look at the manual (obviously) and checked around to see if this has ever come up for anyone before but there's nothing to read on the subject except general information about what would seem to be similar cards. It feels like someone just forgot to complete physical construction on this card and as dumb as it feels to say that, I just can't seem to find how to power the thing. At work right now and will post photos of my specific card later on--but if anyone has some nugget of information to drop on me about this one, I'm all ears!

Link to the card specs if it helps:
http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/produ...s/amd-radeon-r7-240-core-edition-r7-240a-4nf4

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Have you had any problems with the performance of that card? or has there been an error when you boot the PC up with the card installed about not having enough power or to plug power in??

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
Being a single-slot card, the AMD Radeon R7 240 does not require any additional power connector, its power draw is rated at 30 W maximum.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2463/radeon-r7-240
exactly this. There is no 6 or 8 pin cause the card draws the 30w from the slot itself. Also "recommended" PSU is just to cover their asses in case something happens while trying in a lower wattage psu..if im not mistaken.

Jordan Levers

exactly this. There is no 6 or 8 pin cause the card draws the 30w from the slot itself. Also "recommended" PSU is just to cover their asses in case something happens while trying in a lower wattage psu..if im not mistaken.

I followed the link and that is the 2gb version of the card. Mine claims it is 4gb which seems like it would need more than 30w of power...I will be making more attempts at getting it to work tonight. I can't seem to find the 4gb model on the database but it says it, clear as day, on the box "4gb ddr3"

Core Edition XFX/AMD Radeon R7 240 4GB DDR3 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card -- is the EXACT name

But man...that's incredibly frustrating. I wondered whether or not the psu 'requirement' was misleading. Manual came with a diagram showing pin cable being inserted but I suppose that was just general information for other cards that weren't in the box? That's so lame if true. Am I at least correct in saying that 400w cannot be pulled through the motherboard--if it truly needed 400w, it would HAVE to have a pin cable plug, yeh?

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
the 400 w refers to the whole system.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
That 400w Recommendation is for the whole system ( IN TOTAL ) and not just for the Card
as others have Said
Being a single-slot card, the AMD Radeon R7 240 does not require any additional power connector, its power draw is rated at 30 W maximum.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2463/radeon-r7-240

the 400 w refers to the whole system.
ningaed by the Welsh Xeonarmy