• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possible Sound Device Corruption for Lenovo Y Gaming Surround Sound Headset Need Help For Fix

mlu95

After doing constant and endless research online to find a solution to fixing this problem I seem to be stuck and unable to find anything. These headphones worked fine in the past however over time after some unknown reason they no longer worked. I suspect it was caused by a game I was installing but the installation did not complete and froze my computer resulting in a manual hard reset. After the computer rebooted the sound stopped working as long as the headphones were set as the default sound. Possible corruption of some kind due to the game installation failure. Mentioning this game might be misleading for some would think its only in this game does the sound not work. This is not true, any sound in general with the headphones will not work. Completely removing/uninstalling all drivers of the headphones then trying to plug them back in they install and show up/display as working properly however trying to test them results in "failed to play test tone". Trying to play music or a video displays fine, but no sound at all. If I were to reinstall the software for this device then retry the test it now runs the test but no sound. Now with the software installed all videos including its sound for the browser and on my computer would no longer work properly and still no sound when the headphones are set as the default sound. Changing my sound device to another device like the speakers or another headphones allows the sound and videos to work properly, it is only in the headphones that are having the problem. I have tried uninstalling all drivers that I can find concerning this device again however after many repeats and reboots the problem persists. The headphones are not damaged because I tested them on my laptop and they worked without a problem. The problem only seems to appear on my computer. I can assume from this that there is some corrupted file whether it is part of the headphones device that is hidden or another software possibly also corrupted that is conflicting with each other. The game that might of caused the problem I completely uninstalled as well which did not fix the problem. The only last solution I can think of that I have not tried is doing a complete wipe of my system and starting from the beginning which I am sure will fix the problem as long as I wipe my drives as well for corruption can remain if I merely reinstalled my OS. However this solution is not worth doing for I would rather not use the headphones if it leads to that but I am still open to other solutions. This has been bothering me for many months now and I am at a loss of what to do, I appreciate and thank any responses in helping resolve this problem.

(I would like to mention that all my drivers are up to date and I also tried running in the command prompt an "sfc /scannow" test and found no issues)

Processor: Intel i5-2500k
Motherboard: P8Z68 Deluxe
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 970

Last edited: