• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC goes into black screen and froze

System Name RubenClavs
Processor Intel i3-7100
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H270M-D3H
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX 2400 Mhz
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics
Storage 1TB Western Digital Blue;1TB Western Digital Green; 1TB Seagate Barracuda; 1TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 21" BenQ GW2250
Case Xigmatek Assassin
Audio Device(s) Onboard Sound Card
Power Supply Seasonic S12II 620w
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard A4 Tech X7 Oscar
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Hi TPU,

My pc suddenly crashed yesterday and it wont boot up to windows after that. And then i tried windows repair and still it wont boot, so i did a reset on the pc and after it was finished, everytime it is on the desktop it will turn black and froze.

So what i did, i cleaned all the components and reseated all of them. Made a new windows install on the other drive and it completed. Now the problem is that when i get inside windows, it will turn black again and freeze when using the pc for just a couple of minutes. I will had to reset or hard shut down the pc.

Please advise. Thank you.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
Hi TPU,

My pc suddenly crashed yesterday and it wont boot up to windows after that. And then i tried windows repair and still it wont boot, so i did a reset on the pc and after it was finished, everytime it is on the desktop it will turn black and froze.

So what i did, i cleaned all the components and reseated all of them. Made a new windows install on the other drive and it completed. Now the problem is that when i get inside windows, it will turn black again and freeze when using the pc for just a couple of minutes. I will had to reset or hard shut down the pc.

Please advise. Thank you.

can you remove the dGPU (video card)and run on iGPU (built in GPU on processor??)

System Name RubenClavs
Processor Intel i3-7100
Storage 1TB Western Digital Blue;1TB Western Digital Green; 1TB Seagate Barracuda; 1TB Seagate Barracuda
Case Xigmatek Assassin
Mouse Logitech G600
can you remove the dGPU (video card)and run on iGPU (built in GPU on processor??)

I am running on amd fx8320e, this doesnt have igpu. I havent installed any drivers yet and have this problem after a fresh install.

Time to check on hardware then. Pull everything out but one ram and a hdd/ssd and try again to see whether it works.

I hope you have a spare GPU.

XNine

CaseLabs Rep
System Name Project 14
Processor Intel 4770K
Motherboard Asus Impact
Cooling MIPS Waterblock
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) GTX 780 with AquaComputer block
Storage 256GB Samsung Pro 850, 2TB Western Digital HDD
Display(s) 27" Acer 1440P
Case CaseLabs Mercury S3
Power Supply Silverstone 700w Sleeved with MDPCX
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Code with Cherry Clears
Software Windows 10
2 things:
1. I had nothing but issues with the Sapphire 7870, even under water. It would just randomly go to black screen and a "buzzing" sound would emit through my speakers. I tested a different GPU in the system, it was fine, so the 7870 would just randomly crash the entire system out of the blue. Sometimes 20 minutes after booting, sometimes 4 days. No real reason even after digging through log files. That was the 2nd 7870 (the first one was DOA)

2. If you're using display port, switch to HDMI and see if that works better. I had an odd issue with an NVidia GPU where the Displayport would stop working just before it got to Windows 10 boot screen. I could be in BIOS all day, even go through a full re-install of windows. But the second I booted and it got past the spinning dots to go to the login screen, it would go black.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
I am running on amd fx8320e, this doesnt have igpu. I havent installed any drivers yet and have this problem after a fresh install.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not a software related issue which is why I was suggesting that you remove the video card to start with since it's such an easy process of elimination step.

I'm not familiar with AMD CPUs, I did see that you had listed in your system specs but I had no idea whether or not it has an iGPU

Is there any possibility of you being able to get your hands on any compatible video card at all?it would be the easiest step to try to troubleshoot or at least one of the easier ones. You should be able to get into the bios without anything but A display cable hooked up to the motherboard

System Name RubenClavs
Processor Intel i3-7100
Case Xigmatek Assassin
Mouse Logitech G600
Time to check on hardware then. Pull everything out but one ram and a hdd/ssd and try again to see whether it works.

I hope you have a spare GPU.

Unfortunately, I dont have a spare gpu. But i have reseated all components and only using 1 hdd for the new windows install. I will try 1 ram and etc later after work.

2 things:
1. I had nothing but issues with the Sapphire 7870, even under water. It would just randomly go to black screen and a "buzzing" sound would emit through my speakers. I tested a different GPU in the system, it was fine, so the 7870 would just randomly crash the entire system out of the blue. Sometimes 20 minutes after booting, sometimes 4 days. No real reason even after digging through log files. That was the 2nd 7870 (the first one was DOA)

2. If you're using display port, switch to HDMI and see if that works better. I had an odd issue with an NVidia GPU where the Displayport would stop working just before it got to Windows 10 boot screen. I could be in BIOS all day, even go through a full re-install of windows. But the second I booted and it got past the spinning dots to go to the login screen, it would go black.

I never had a problem like this with my 7870 before. Also i havent installed any drivers today and it still turns black screen and pc is running.

How do i reset its bios?

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, you need to eliminate potential fault one by one. You may need to try different PSU as well.

You can reset BIOS by entering BIOS and go for reset or you can pop out CMOS battery.

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board

XNine

CaseLabs Rep
System Name Project 14
Processor Intel 4770K
Motherboard Asus Impact
Cooling MIPS Waterblock
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) GTX 780 with AquaComputer block
Storage 256GB Samsung Pro 850, 2TB Western Digital HDD
Display(s) 27" Acer 1440P
Case CaseLabs Mercury S3
Power Supply Silverstone 700w Sleeved with MDPCX
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Code with Cherry Clears
Software Windows 10
I never had a problem like this with my 7870 before. Also i havent installed any drivers today and it still turns black screen and pc is running.

How do i reset its bios?

Yeah, I didn't have any issues with my 7870 until it started doing that out of the blue months after installing.

System Name RubenClavs
Processor Intel i3-7100
Case Xigmatek Assassin
Mouse Logitech G600
Basically, you need to eliminate potential fault one by one. You may need to try different PSU as well.

You can reset BIOS by entering BIOS and go for reset or you can pop out CMOS battery.

My PSU is was brought a couple of months replacing my faulty Corsair VS650. I havent had any trouble with my current Seasonic S12 620w. 100% confident that this is not with my psu.

Of course, there is a chance that the mobo is faulty also which would be a royal pain in the butt if it turns out that mobo is the fault.

System Name RubenClavs
Processor Intel i3-7100
Case Xigmatek Assassin
Mouse Logitech G600
Yeah, I didn't have any issues with my 7870 until it started doing that out of the blue months after installing.

My 7870 is 4 years old and if this is the fault then maybe its time to retire this old man.

I will make a video on how this things happens and will post it here.

Of course, there is a chance that the mobo is faulty also which would be a royal pain in the butt if it turns out that mobo is the fault.

I am suspecting that as well. Huhuhuhuhuhu

If the GPU is 4 years old, that's like 60 years old for humans. GPU may well be calling quits. But without a spare GPU, it's only suspicion.

It's generally a good idea to keep old (proven to work) hardware for cases like this.

System Name RubenClavs
Processor Intel i3-7100
Case Xigmatek Assassin
Mouse Logitech G600
If the GPU is 4 years old, that's like 60 years old for humans. GPU may well be calling quits. But without a spare GPU, it's only suspicion.

It's generally a good idea to keep old (proven to work) hardware for cases like this.

The monitor has signal. Its just it froze and num lock froze and mouse.

What could be the culprit?

Here is what happened from start.

My brother is browsing the net with facebook and youtube and after a couple of hours, the screen turn to white and froze. So he did a reset and when it boot up it says windows didnt load correctly and it never booted up.

The next morning, i reformatted a new drive hoping its just an OS problem. But the problem is that in the desktop suddenly it will turn to black screen and froze the pc.

Now, made another clean install and when installing AMD driver, during the installation where it should blink and flicker the pc froze with black screen. So this is a gpu issue?

@XNine @jboydgolfer @alucasa

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro
this.

also, try using a different cable for your 8 pin graphics card.

System Name RubenClavs
Processor Intel i3-7100
Case Xigmatek Assassin
Mouse Logitech G600
I will
this.

also, try using a different cable for your 8 pin graphics card.

When installing the graphics driver. It wont go back after the screen flickers. This is a gpu issue. Oh my.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Software Windows 10 Pro
I will

When installing the graphics driver. It wont go back after the screen flickers. This is a gpu issue. Oh my.
Sound like something i am going through. It loses signal,and when it has to go back on,it does not. Exactly what happens to me,but not always. It can lose signal ,cuz instructed by the software to turn off for power saving, but it wont give signal back to exit power saving. It could be the gpu ,or the psu. I blame it on both. Since many many people have problems with the Rx series from AMD. Than again i don't trust my psu anymore and there is no way to test it 100%. I changed the cables around got better results.
Still i wish i got a different certified psu to use for a month, just to see the changes.

System Name RubenClavs
Processor Intel i3-7100
Case Xigmatek Assassin
Mouse Logitech G600
Sound like something i am going through. It loses signal,and when it has to go back on,it does not. Exactly what happens to me,but not always. It can lose signal ,cuz instructed by the software to turn off for power saving, but it wont give signal back to exit power saving. It could be the gpu ,or the psu. I blame it on both. Since many many people have problems with the Rx series from AMD. Than again i don't trust my psu anymore and there is no way to test it 100%. I changed the cables around got better results.
Still i wish i got a different certified psu to use for a month, just to see the changes.

I am not losing signal on my monitor. It just goes black screen (monitor is on) but my system freezes.

Tried clean install and then using microsoft basic display it still goes black and freezes.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5700x
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Software Windows 10 Pro
I am not losing signal on my monitor. It just goes black screen (monitor is on) but my system freezes.
I know.
that is exactly what happens to me. Maybe i expressed myself in a wrong way.
Anyways... did you try to use a different 8 pin cable ?