• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help! A9 and 99 lcd-codes, no boot, nothing

Hi!!!

in fact I have much more questions but... let me tell you.
Today I started working with my pc that had been okay this week after some upgrades.
Now and then I had a bluescreen with every core at 44x (not gaming, more like working with files, scanning documents), and I had it set to 5 cores a 42x and 1 core at 44x. the voltage was somewhat high, 1.38 v.

Today I noticed my mouse and overall feeling a bit slugish, like the start menu popping up with "lag", etc.

I said to myself: who knows if this Intel Turbo thing (using 1 core with higher clock for some applications) is still beta... so I rebooted and set all 42x and lowered the core voltage a bit to 1,35 v.

Then TERROR started.
No boot, bluescreen.. and a led on the mobo lighted up. This X99 mobo (RampageV edition10) has 4 leds for faults:
bios-dram-vga-boot device
well. some boots the vga led stood on, some boots the "boot device" stood on.
Wth!.
Is my recently watercooled VGA missing in action? Is it my boot device (SSD)?

So I removed all peripherals. All hard disc drives, and exchanged the vga for another one.

No improvement.
Sometimes my keyboard or an old PS/2 is not detected.

Asus Crashfree 3 BIOS update tool with my usbdrive and a fresh bios does not work either.. the blue light of the crashfree button flashes a couple of times, but nothing happens.

Also removed the mobo battery for over a minute

I am booting with only 1 ram stick, just in case

I have switched bioses (dual bios).

Mostly all I get is
- non responsive to keyboard
- press F2 or DEL message but goes not into BIOS (only once (out of 30 boot attempts) I entered but got only a frozen bios screen)
- LCD poster messages are mainly A9 (start of setup) and 99 (super IO initialization)
also lots of other numbers and a freeze, always black screen.

Have I frustrated my CPU so much that it said bye? (6850K) Did I corrupt my BIOS? Any help is appreciated.

System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling Corsair H110I
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1080
Storage 2x 500GB 1x 1TB WD Green
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / HP 27" 1080p LED
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi (Built in/Mobo) - Xonar Sound Card
Power Supply Enermax 1020Watt
Mouse Logitech Something Whatever
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
Did you try the Clr CMOS button on the back of the board?

And are you running from HDMI cable or a DVI cable to your monitor? Try switching to a DVI maybe your getting some POST error and the video can't output it.

Thanks friends!
Alucasa: I put between brackets what both codes mean as per manual! (not very informative but..)
Mike: I get video signal both with HDMI or DP cables. but when I press F1, F2 or DEL nothing happens, the computer freezes.
Right now I pressed DEL and I have a A2 post code... froozen post image, that all.

What bothers me most is the onboard "boot device" error LED: it shows up with or without my boot SSD. Can it be more like "boot device"=BIOS access error?

For those wondering: my bios settings where mostly "auto" only turbo voltage at 1,35, cpu at 42x, bus at 100mhz and cache at auto and the RAM timings manually set. Been working well until now. Only the voltage had me unhappy (started from AI Suite TPUII auto tuning, lowered a bit afterwards).

Again "A2" post code and blackscreen and cannot ctrol-alt-del at all...
reboot
Now "95" and no keyboard...

(have also tried "Mem OK" "Safe settings" and "Last known good" settings.... hardware buttons on the mobo.)

Last edited:
System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Cooling Corsair H110I
Case Corsair 900D
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
For those wondering: my bios settings where mostly "auto" only turbo voltage at 1,35, cpu at 42x, bus at 100mhz and cache at auto and the RAM timings manually set. Been working well until now. Only the voltage had me unhappy (started from AI Suite TPUII auto tuning, lowered a bit afterwards).

Again "A2" post code and blackscreen and cannot ctrol-alt-del at all...
reboot
Now "95" and no keyboard...

(have also tried "Mem OK" "Save settings" and "Last known good" settings.... hardware buttons on the mobo.)

Sounds like the machine is just failing at random boot sequences. I would do the following again:

1. Power device off & Pull Power cable from Powersupply
2. Pull CMOS Bat
3. Pull ALL Memory
4. Pull Video Card
5. Re-install Memory & Video (Use DVI Cable)
6. Put in CMOS Bat
7. Plug in Power cable
8. Push CLR CMOS button on back of board (Two arrow button above your BIOS Flashback)
9. Power on machine - see results.

If your still hanging after that I'd guess your mobo would be the culprit over the CPU.

will try that, without any hope, thanks. after that i will take the cpu to a shop to test it. but this weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :((((((((

1 thing I learned...
Bios Flashback instructions in manual are minimal, the right ones are only on a marketing sheet somewhere on Asus site, google took me there... I always store my BIOS files with this name "number".CAP. Well it has to be, in my case, R5E10.CAP. Now the pendrive is reading and reading. After a better looking (fresh) post process it ends with ...again 96 and block.
Restart. Now a 99, but with message to press F1, then a A2, then an A9. And black screen....
A9 is "start of setup" in the manual. Well it stays there, for ever.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
1 thing I learned...
Bios Flashback instructions in manual are minimal, the right ones are only on a marketing sheet somewhere on Asus site, google took me there... I always store my BIOS files with this name "number".CAP. Well it has to be, in my case, R5E10.CAP. Now the pendrive is reading and reading. After a better looking (fresh) post process it ends with ...again 96 and block.
Restart. Now a 99, but with message to press F1, then a A2, then an A9. And black screen....
A9 is "start of setup" in the manual. Well it stays there, for ever.

RMA the board. Without necessary tools to diagnose your issue such as additional ram or a pc shop, it's difficult to determine if your board, cpu, ram are shot. And its tripping up with codes and at times not detecting devices.

Last edited:
System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Cooling Corsair H110I
Case Corsair 900D
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
I have it under warranty so I just filled in the form at Caseking. Less than a year old and, man, what a load of trouble! (USB subsystem very unstable, autotuning and manual tuning is a jungle and auto-reverses every couple of weeks, so it's never really completed)...
thanks guys. like other times before, I hoped to solve it, I have already had a couple of nightmare days to get it back running so maybe it is better dead. Now thinking about staying with X99 or not...:wtf:

System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Cooling Corsair H110I
Case Corsair 900D
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
I have it under warranty so I just filled in the form at Caseking. Less than a year old and, man, what a load of trouble! (USB subsystem very unstable, autotuning and manual tuning is a jungle and auto-reverses every couple of weeks, so it's never really completed)...
thanks guys. like other times before, I hoped to solve it, I have already had a couple of nightmare days to get it back running so maybe it is better dead. Now thinking about staying with X99 or not...:wtf:

Honestly, I would stick with the X99, perhaps the new board will work better depending on if there were revisions hardware wise. Least you have these headaches versus another platforms headaches!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

welcome to the world of electronics, pcbs are called printed circuit boards for a reason, out of so many units there will be ones that die in 1 day-10+ years and in between.

I used to do appliance repair and I was replacing main control boards, user interface boards, motor control boards along side drain pumps in tons of Samsung, LG, Electrolux/Frigidaire, GE machines or Machines based on those OEMs too often.

Ryzen time then. :p

Be a plausible idea if money is available.

Honestly, I would stick with the X99, perhaps the new board will work better depending on if there were revisions hardware wise. Least you have these headaches versus another platforms headaches!

2011-3 is being replaced with 2066, so in turn it's a dying platform unfortunately. Ryzen boards are getting better with bios updates @cdawall @cadaveca can attest to that.

Plus Naples is coming out this year.

However it is up to erixx what he wants to do, and I suggested getting the board RMA'd.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Ideally ASUS will accept the RMA and offer cash back, but that is highly unlikely, O.P. may be stuck with an ASUS X99.
On the off chance they can't repair or supply a new board the same he should try another brand X99.

Hi, thanks Caring1! that's another option.
i came just back from the shop, the only available midrange board in the city was a MSI Z170A Tomahawk. Installed, fine board. But now Windows is "Preparing Devices" as per boot screen since half an hour... I could not enter Windows to prepare this transition. I am bit worried if this will work without reinstalling windows.

Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11
What bios are you on and try going back to a older bios 0601.

Hi LoD! The shop installed the latest (they said) to be able to boot the i7 7600: 1B.0
Anyway, I m rocking in Windows now. Have to uninstall some ASus and Intel left behinds.... AI Suite 3 Cleaner comes to mind :)
And Intel Turbo Max also is pesky to remove....

Last edited:
Just for you interested:
my Superposition benchmark with this lower z170 board, cpu (7600 non K) and half of my RAM (16mb), is the SAME as before.
My 3D Mark Tiem Spy is 500 lower (GPU sections are the same, CPU sections are lower, as expected, yes....)

I love the MSI UEFI!
But the Z170A Tomahawk is very limited at connectivity (internal and external).... It can only be a temporal solution

To update this case (I quote the original situation below):

CASEKING wrote to say they return the mobo.
Asus told them "No RMA because of physical damage".
So far I have not received any proof of
a) Asus actually handling the case
b) technical details or photo of the issue

Are they kidding me?

As my story below explains, after working fine, one morning it started doing strange stuff and died. I was not "physically" manipulating anything...

Now's when you want to have bought it from a local store so you can talk and discuss en examine this!

:-(

Hi!!!

in fact I have much more questions but... let me tell you.
Today I started working with my pc that had been okay this week after some upgrades.
Now and then I had a bluescreen with every core at 44x (not gaming, more like working with files, scanning documents), and I had it set to 5 cores a 42x and 1 core at 44x. the voltage was somewhat high, 1.38 v.

Today I noticed my mouse and overall feeling a bit slugish, like the start menu popping up with "lag", etc.

I said to myself: who knows if this Intel Turbo thing (using 1 core with higher clock for some applications) is still beta... so I rebooted and set all 42x and lowered the core voltage a bit to 1,35 v.

Then TERROR started.
No boot, bluescreen.. and a led on the mobo lighted up. This X99 mobo (RampageV edition10) has 4 leds for faults:
bios-dram-vga-boot device
well. some boots the vga led stood on, some boots the "boot device" stood on.
Wth!.
Is my recently watercooled VGA missing in action? Is it my boot device (SSD)?

So I removed all peripherals. All hard disc drives, and exchanged the vga for another one.

No improvement.
Sometimes my keyboard or an old PS/2 is not detected.

Asus Crashfree 3 BIOS update tool with my usbdrive and a fresh bios does not work either.. the blue light of the crashfree button flashes a couple of times, but nothing happens.

Also removed the mobo battery for over a minute

I am booting with only 1 ram stick, just in case

I have switched bioses (dual bios).

Mostly all I get is
- non responsive to keyboard
- press F2 or DEL message but goes not into BIOS (only once (out of 30 boot attempts) I entered but got only a frozen bios screen)
- LCD poster messages are mainly A9 (start of setup) and 99 (super IO initialization)
also lots of other numbers and a freeze, always black screen.

Have I frustrated my CPU so much that it said bye? (6850K) Did I corrupt my BIOS? Any help is appreciated.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
To update this case (I quote the original situation below):

CASEKING wrote to say they return the mobo.
Asus told them "No RMA because of physical damage".
So far I have not received any proof of
a) Asus actually handling the case
b) technical details or photo of the issue

Are they kidding me?

As my story below explains, after working fine, one morning it started doing strange stuff and died. I was not "physically" manipulating anything...

Now's when you want to have bought it from a local store so you can talk and discuss en examine this!

:-(

Get an RMA or case number and use that to contact Asus support directly and enquire about the RMA. it could be that caseking just don't want to deal with it so they lie and sends it back to you.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Get an RMA or case number and use that to contact Asus support directly and enquire about the RMA. it could be that caseking just don't want to deal with it so they lie and sends it back to you.
This.

When it comes to refunds never trust 3rd party.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Just too add to this as i was half asleep at the time... If caseking fail to give you an RMA number then ask to speak to or your case to be escalated to a supervisor. Ask him for an Asus RMA number if there is one. who decided to reject your RMA and pictures or proof or anything to support their reason of 'physical damage' -- If they tell you they have no RMA number then it is most likely they received the board, did a quick inspection and possibly saw some bent pins or stains somewhere on the board and decided not to waste their effort trying to RMA it on your behalf....

I dont think theyve been in contact with Asus so they probably wont have an RMA number, hence the reason you need to speak to a supervisor. If they still refuse to help with RMA, then contact Asus support and tell them, If the board is still under their warranty they will probably have you ship the defective board to them.

You can still go through caseking but you might need to get smart with your trade and sale of goods laws you might have in the EU. Caseking is German or Dutch so they should still be covered by EU trade/distance selling regulations.

If they cant provide proof of their claims that its been physically abused then you can threaten them to take them to court for denying 'your right' to an RMA.

Read up on EU laws/regulations regarding distance selling.

That is what I am writing them right now! :rockout:

So I got another reply from Caseking, with photos.
They say it is scratched (beyond possible repair) and not covered.
1) it seems to be in the Audio section, cannot appreciate any other detail. They painted the red arrow on the pics, have a look...
2) How can a scratch (possible caused during building months ago) suddenly in the morning, after having worked well the months and the day before, cause problems?

Without a better photo, I do not dare to ask you if this will be fixable.

IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG